Thread: Selawik River upper

Default Selawik River upper

Hey Guy's,

Do any of you know anything about the upper Selawik river? access,class and of coarse the fish and game.
    Anything would be helpful to get started.

Thanks,

Roger

probably going to be tough to access

There are river bars that are cub size. Also some lakes that are float accessible.
    Should be moose around, I've seen blackies up there while flying over. Likely some griz. Fish would be trout/grayling. No salmon up there I think.
    Easy float, actually pretty slow as you get down river.
    Get with unit 23 expert Walt, at Northwest Alaska Rentals.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Selawik River upper end

Thank's for the info. on the upper Selawik. It looks really interesting flying up in there with Gooogle Earth!
    I really want find a way back in there.

Thanks again,

Roger........

Default Upper Selawik-NW Alaska Back Country Rentals

Hi Roger and thanks Marten for the plug!

The upper Selawik is great moose and black bear country. The Caribou pour through there but not until mid-Sept. It also is the prime spawning bed for some of the biggest Sheefish in the unit, upward to 60 pounds. Jim Kincaid at NW Aviation is the only guy with floats and he is the one to contact. The only way to hunt or fish the Selawik is float. I can set you up with 12, 14 , 15 rafts or 16 Pro-Pioneers.

Look me up at www.northwestalaska.com

Thanks,

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Kotzebue, Ak

If you float have someone pick you up up river of town cause it is a long slow river on the bottom Maybe pick up at the old townsite of selawik or just a litle ways further down stream I ived in Selawik and ran the river in a skiff a lot in the 90's it hasn't changed that much. big Moose Caribou all year long just sit and spot When the main herd goes through It is an experiance of a lifetime but it is usually right at freeze up meaning the ice is on everything but not thick enough to travel on. If you decide to go Send me a message sledhands@yahoo.com might be interested in the adventure into some old territory. You might think of trying the Tag to the selawik