Thread: Pink Salmon--Cook up or Throw Back

Default Pink Salmon--Cook up or Throw Back

I have never kept any of the pinks that I have caught. I have always had plenty of King and Silver in the freezer. But here recently when out fishing with the family alot of people have commented about me, my wife and four kids throwing them all back.
    We have decided that we are going to keep a few tomorrow and try them out. But thought I would get some of your opinions.

I caught a couple super fresh pinks from Bird Creek 3 weeks ago that turned into fantastic salmon patties, and last weekend my Willow Creek pinks turned into a great salmon chowder. The key to pinks is that they must be bright and fresh. The ones I caught last weekend at Willow were not humped, super bright and fresh etc... I just haven't had the chance to get any reds or kings so I'll take what I can get

I have heard a bunch of comments including: "I can't believe people actually eat those things." I think they get a bad reputation because they turn from fresh to rotting corpses rapidly and most Alaskans probably just view them as rotting hunks of swimming flesh. When they're fresh they're far from it in my opinion.

Talking

To me they taste similar to wild trout.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

I've smoked the pinks I've caught from Hope in the smoker. They taste pretty good that way. That's just my opinion. Therefore I do like pinks : )

i like to cut them in to meat slivers and suck on them while im fishing like chewing copenhagen. i quit chewing years ago so this is almost as good.
    Semper Fi!

We just got back to Fairbanks after spending four days in Valdez fishing for pinks! We do this every year. If I was given a choice between silver or pink salmon, I'd have to go for silver, but there's certainly nothing wrong with pink salmon either - we eat it all the time!

Default Yep,

just keep the "good" shape ones, bleed them on the stringer (so they bleed into the water). I've kept a few in the freezer (ones I caught at Hope & others that were caught on a gillnetter) and both batches thawed and turned out great the same way I do reds; on the grill & smoker.
    Jim

Keep only fresh ones and treat it like it is a red with the care and atention you give the meat. They freeze fine. I like mine as salmon patties, or crumbled over a salad.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default Do your own thing man....

Quote Originally Posted by AK6Pack View Post
    I have never kept any of the pinks that I have caught.
    That is your choice, nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by AK6Pack View Post
    But here recently when out fishing with the family alot of people have commented about me, my wife and four kids throwing them all back.

So what? Fire comments right back about them keeping the pinks. What is the difference?
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

pinks like to go on ICE FAST!!

they tend to go soft soon after if not cared for in the best way...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I'm a snob . . .

I catch enuff fish to be able to pass on them.

They do make good crab bait. Trade on source of so-so protien for an A+ source of protein.

I am a snob too, but a pink caught in the salt, bled out appropriately, and put on ice in good time is just fine in my book. In fact, I really like both chums and pinks in the smoker that were caught in the salt as they have a neutral taste. But, if you are just going to BBQ a salmon and not put much on it, nothing beats Reds, Kings, and Silvers as those all have wonderful texture and flavor as you already know.

I can just about every pink I get. They taste every bit as good as albacore / "white" tuna when canned, and I haven't had to buy a can of tuna in ages. I put a couple drops of the liquid smoke stuff in some of my jars when canning, and the flavor is excellent.

I agree with the comment about trout to some extent, but I'll add this: if you're camping and can catch a couple pinks for dinner they are delicious cooked over the camp fire when fresh. Like trout, the meat seems to break down a bit as the fish sits in a cooler or refrigerator. A rainbow trout is really tasty the first hour or two after being caught, but it leaves a lot to be desired after that. Pinks are the same.

Try deep frying fresh pink fillets with the seasoning of your choice. I'll bet you won't throw them back any more!

Default Breaded or Battered?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Try deep frying fresh pink fillets with the seasoning of your choice. I'll bet you won't throw them back any more!

Sounds good, do you bread them or batter them?

Neither, but that sounds good, too. The way I've had it is a rinsed/dryed fillet with some cajun seasoning or garlic salt, then into the oil. It's surprisingly good.

Please move this thread to Alaska Cooking..... If we are not there yet, we are getting close!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post

Doesnt everything taste better deepfried?

smoked, mushed up (which ain't hard to do with pinks) add cream cheese, onion powder and garlic powder..mooosh some more and spread it on bagels or make sandwhiches...bout the only way i'll eat them.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212