Thread: PWS for our Maiden Voyage

Default PWS for our Maiden Voyage

So the wife and I are thinking about hitting up PWS this weekend for our maiden voyage on the new to us boat. I was just looking for any help on where to go, fishing spots to try out, advice on any of the basics, etc. The boat came with the basic gear as well as 3 shrimp pots, halibut rods, fishing gear, etc. Basically we are going to head out friday afternoon, spend the night, and come home late Saturday. I have to leave for some field work Sunday so its just a quick trip to put the new rig through her paces.

Any advice or ideas would be much appreciated. If anyone else is going to be out let me know and maybe we can meet up and talk boats and fishing. I've had boats all my life but down in the states. Up here, this is all new to me. The boats name is "No Bananas" if you want to try me on the radio. Not sure what channel is the standard to use.....but.

Thanks for the help.

PS. I hear its bad luck to change the name of a boat but I may have to do something about that name.

It's also bad luck to take a woman on a boat--unless she's naked. Hope your wife is understanding.

http://pacificoffshorerigging.com/na...erstitions.htm

Taking bananas on a boat is also bad luck. Perhaps the purpose of the boat's name was to ward off evil--let the sea gods know that the boat is banana free. If so, then that's a name you probably really don't want to mess with.

Don't forget to have a virgin maiden pee on the bow!!!

A virgin maiden....hmmmm, that might be tough to find around these parts. I guess I will just have to wait for my little one to arrive and then have her pee on the bow.

Bad luck to take a woman on a boat? All the charter captains I've been out with say taking a woman on a boat is good luck. Everytime I've taken my wife out in the past she gets me on fish quick and does an awesome job of keeping me on them. We've all started calling her the Chief of the Boat and my friends hate it when she doesn't come. We catch way more fish. Now that being said, she's never fished before and plans on doing it this year. That could change everything so I'll let you know.

Thanks for the advice.

Ignore all advice given so far. They are just giving you a hard time. I suggest for your first trip don;t go too far, maybe down Blackston bay to see the glacier. You should get the cruising guide to PWS by Lethcoe(sp?) which will give you about 10 years of different anchorages to try.

As for the radio, always monitor 16 and just hail boats there, go off to another channel to chat or you will be yelled at quickly. Suprise Cove in Cochrine bay is a good first anchorage, you will most likley see other boats there and be able to get more advice than I have time to type. Type Pigot Point for silvers. It may be early but give it a try. Steep and Deep for shrimp, as Steve always says. You will get some shrimp in either Blackstone or Cochrane bay if ou set at 350+ feet on a slope.

Gook Luck,
    Jim
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Ignore all advice given so far. They are just giving you a hard time. I suggest for your first trip don;t go too far, maybe down Blackston bay to see the glacier. You should get the cruising guide to PWS by Lethcoe(sp?) which will give you about 10 years of different anchorages to try.

As for the radio, always monitor 16 and just hail boats there, go off to another channel to chat or you will be yelled at quickly. Suprise Cove in Cochrine bay is a good first anchorage, you will most likley see other boats there and be able to get more advice than I have time to type. Type Pigot Point for silvers. It may be early but give it a try. Steep and Deep for shrimp, as Steve always says. You will get some shrimp in either Blackstone or Cochrane bay if ou set at 350+ feet on a slope.

Gook Luck,
    Jim
    Patrick,

Jim gives good advice. Also, I think I would wait a day two to go. There is a small craft advisory for today and things will be "interesting" to say the least. They may even be interesting Saturday. I can imagine how Port Swells and Passage Canal are going to look. But if you do out in a small craft advisory and they called it right, it will be your last time doing that.....None the less, have a great trip whenever you decide to go.

Tim

I second JRogers advice to ignore all prior advice, including my own.

If this is your first time out on the salt in Alaska, the two things you need to be most aware of IMHO are the large tidal swings (and associated currents in some areas), and the speed and extent to which the weather can change on you. Be very conscious of both.

Also, if this is your first time out in your new to you, but used, boat, be prepared for the possibility of some mechanical problems. Take along some tools and, as JRogers said, don't go out too far the first time.

By the way, if your wife brings you that much luck with her clothes on, just think . . .

Default Congrats on the new boat

I have been watching your threads on your purchase and I know how excited you are to get in the water. If you go this weekend, know that the weather is suppopsed to be bad. When you get to Whittier, you will find a float plan you can file with the harbormaster office in the launch fee area. Go ahead and make this a habit, now and for future trips.

http://www.arh.noaa.gov/wmofcst.php?...FC&type=marine

use this site to check the weather, I have this bookmarked. Good luck nand have fun. dirt

Smile Updated...

Well I went and looked at the site I posted for you and the weather seems to be clearing, and the small craft advisory has been lifted. Have a really good time.

Looks good out there according to the prediction...be safe and monitor ch16.