Thread: Rifle building addiction...what is the cure???

Default Rifle building addiction...what is the cure???

Well there I go again. Thought I could stay away from buying another rifle action. Guess I failed miserably to curb my appetite for planning out more firearms projects. Once a fella breaks down and buys a rifle action it just leads you to the next step in the process, there is no avoiding it ............. (another rifle project).
    Just couldn't resist this deal. Made arrangements to buy an older but new Dakota 76 magnum action for 375 H&H length cartridges. Been wanting one for a very long time, but never could bring myself to pay what they were asking for one, until this one came along. The seller of this particular action gave me a good deal and I do trully appreciate his willingness to work with me on acquiring it. "Sure made my week". But the rifle building addiction remains and the cure is harder to find that a pass thru bullet on a brown bear. Anyone else got this problem, and have you found the cure for it ?

A friend of mine tried to cure it once and for all by making a .22 cal gatling gun (I don't remember how many barrels) but that didn't work.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Can't be cured, only controlled, with regular doses of project planning and execution.

Hi, my name's Bert, and I'm a project addict.

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    A friend of mine tried to cure it once and for all by making a .22 cal gatling gun (I don't remember how many barrels) but that didn't work.
    Maybe I should clarify; the gun worked and was the coolest thing ever. The cure for the addiction did not.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

We made one that turned with a hand crank. We then cut off the shaft and chucked it in a cordless drill ... That's how to completely empty the bank account and ruin 4 perfectly good Ruger 10/22's

How did I cure my rifle/pistol building addiction of years ago? I had kids, three of them, then I was broke. Problem solved
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Fortunately for me the addiction started after my 4 kids were mostly grown up and on their way to college, . Now the trick is to get them interested in rifle project planning and execution, and offer to help them along to make sure they choose the right components for my, oops their custom and semi custom rifles.

Rifle building addiction can be hereditary, pass it on to your children.

Nothing like a lil firearms humor now and again.

My advice would be to get a lathe and learn to chamber and fit your own barrels, then do all the stock work your self. This will most likely have no effect on the addiction but will make it cheaper long term and make it more fun. That way way you even make your own reamers and dies and really get crazy with the addiction.

best cure would be a bullet in the brain. nothing else can cure weapon addictions of this sort.
    Semper Fi!

There is no cure. Sometimes it even gets worse in the form of opening up the gun safe and seeing a beautifully designed rifle only to say to yourself "Why in the world did I ever build that"?
    Then the next step is to try to convince someone else how nice the rifle is so you can sell it at a huge loss (this, we NEVER tell momma about) so we can fund the next rifle that we need more than life itself.

Of course, I only heard of people like this having never experienced it myself. Gotta run, someone listed a nice Win 70 action for sale and I have to take a look at it
    Tennessee

Nukalpiaq,

I don't know what your financial situation is but I know that the cold hard reality of the fact that our nation is in the financial dumps would be enough reason to back away from a custom job. I have three rifles that I'm heavily interested in building but I know only one will prob. make it past the drawing board. I'm very very fearful of our future economy, and because of that fear.......I'm patiently saving for a rainy day. I think one's mindset should be making his or her dollar go as far as it can go. For example: four or six cylinder engines in the vehicles, best buy rifles pistols and shotguns, affordable reloading "hand tools", no expensive carbide dies, electronic tools, and other frivolous no needs. saving to help one of your children should they ever be hit hard by this recession. Going back to smaller more fuel efficient boats, atv's, and snow machines. Hand loading the more affordable big game bullets like the hornady interlocks, speer hot cors, and Remington core lokts. Truly convincing yourself that what you have in the gun safe......will sufficiently put all the game meat in your freezer without a problem. Geeze......I'm starting to sound like my father.......how disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Geeze......I'm starting to sound like my father.......how disturbing.
    It's only disturbing for a while then as you age it will become a point of pride. Or that is how it was for me. When I was 15 or so my parents were some down right dumb people, but by the time I was 35 or so I was amazed just how dang smart they got, funny thing is they said the same things all along.

If you think about it, all that stuff you are talking about is wise no matter what the economy looks like. Being frugal is just smart unless you are Bill Gates and even then it’s not a bad idea.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

mainer_in_ak, good advice, thanks. Had 3 projects going over the past year, received 2 out of the 3 rifles back so far. Third rifle seems to be taking longer to get back home than I expected. Hopefully it be be here any day now. Had one more rifle project planned out before I decided to buy the Dakota 76 action, probably hold off on having it built until later in the winter. To keep my interest going I will probably recheck my component list and maybe add in a few more options for each, never know may be able to cut some cost that way if I shop around a bit. Also with the media this past year talking about the economy being in a recession, bet some gunsmith shops are probably just as worried as rifle owners.

Its all about keeping busy with a gun related project. For me the most cost efficient way of doing this involves making a stock for a gun that I already have. The first one I did was just so-so, the second one was much better and the last one I am actually proud of.

Yesterday I was in the woods cutting a load of firewood and found a real nice nature cured Red Elm tree that when cut revealed that it was free of cracks and was harder than heck. I cut out two crotch pieces suitable for making a stock to replace the plastic one on my 77 350 mag. I cut them long enough so that I can dig a post hole behind the garage and tamp the log into the ground so as to hold it while I rough cut the blank with my chain saw. The rest of the project will happen this winter and it will take all winter long.

The money thing is felt here as it is everywhere else thus I have kind of taken a getting back to the basics attitude. I had a hundred plus guns a few short years ago and decided only the ones I use or have a strong potential of using will stay. I sold most of the others and a few of the special ones were passed on to worthy friends and relatives who will enjoy them. I then started stocking loading components for my pet guns that I kept.

If I came across a Dakota action for the right money I would grab it also. I have always wanted to build a "keeper" gun on that action as well. Its all how ya look at it.....in my driveway sits a 2000 Ford F150 with 120,000 miles on it. It's still clean and as a pin and cost me nothing but gas money to drive. I could go buy a brand new one if I chose to but the difference would probably be reflected in ability to purchase reloading supplies and surf the net for that gun/hunting related bargain. I'll keep the old truck and leave myself some breathing room for my real passion! I will more than likely aquire a few more guns but it won't happen on a whim like it used to.....unless mother gets a better paying or second job!

There is no cure. I still surf the auction sites and various forums for actions. My wife says I am addicted.

Now I just buy parts to make my rifles better. I already have everything to kill anything on the planet, half I dont even shoot.

I may buy one more mauser action (lmao, I am still addicted). I have a really nice maple stock for a LR mauser. been thinking about making a gun for one of my neices or nephews.

My next addiction is a 338 Lapua, I'm infected!

http://www.vandykerifles.com/reaper.htm

A good friend of mine had one built and I had an opportunity to shoot it last weekend. All I can say is it's one fine package. The range we shoot at only goes out to 500 meters, hits on the steel Rams and Pigs were so easy it was like we were cheating.

I hear what ya'all are saying, in other words guess there is no hope at all for any of us that's got the addiction. My next project rifle is gonna be a 338-06 based on a CZ550 action, been planning this one since last winter. Already talked to a gunsmith about the project but had to hold off on it until I had the other rifles completed and back home. This project will probably get started after the new year has passed. This will give me more time to do a lil more research on options for barrels, stocks, sights, etc. Dang, here I go again.

I think an addiction to building rifles beats some others. My wife doesn't mind so much, it keeps me home where she knows I'm not getting into any other trouble.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine