Thread: Homer fishing

Default Homer fishing

Looking at fishing out of Homer in a new 24' aluminum...does this forecast look reasonable for a trip with a newbie on-board?? I have no concern, just want the passengers to be comfortable long enough to pick up some fish. I usually fish out of Whittier and Seward.

Thoughts???

.SAT...SW WIND 15 KT. SEAS 4 FT.
    .SAT NIGHT...S WIND 15 KT. SEAS 4 FT.
    .SUN...SW WIND 15 KT. SEAS 4 FT.

Default uh... it's thursday, right?

so who knows what it will REALLY be like this weekend?
    when i left for humpy creek at 2 it was glassy calm at the harbor, but i was in 1-2' whitecaps and 20 kts NE before i was 1/2 way there. ended up picking the guys up with the wind on my tail and a falling tide, had to jump in the water to get offshore.
    right now it is blowing E 20-25 and way snotty in the inner bay, but two days ago today's forecast was for variable 10 SW 15 in the afternoon.
    my point is that there is no way to judge the weekends weather this soon.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    so who knows what it will REALLY be like this weekend?
    when i left for humpy creek at 2 it was glassy calm at the harbor, but i was in 1-2' whitecaps and 20 kts NE before i was 1/2 way there. ended up picking the guys up with the wind on my tail and a falling tide, had to jump in the water to get offshore.
    right now it is blowing E 20-25 and way snotty in the inner bay, but two days ago today's forecast was for variable 10 SW 15 in the afternoon.
    my point is that there is no way to judge the weekends weather this soon.

Kind of what I figured and was looking for just that response from a local...much appreciated.

The only bummer is you didn`t tell me all the hotspots!

We`ll likely spin down there and see what`s up...there`s always beer if the water is bad.

Thanks Dave

Man those weather reports can be so right and so wrong its not funny. Generally a report like that means, calm in morning with 2 o'clock wind come roaring in...
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Kind of what I figured and was looking for just that response from a local...much appreciated.

The only bummer is you didn`t tell me all the hotspots!

We`ll likely spin down there and see what`s up...there`s always beer if the water is bad.

Thanks Dave

hey dont i know you from the wheelordie.com website?
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Looking at fishing out of Homer in a new 24' aluminum...does this forecast look reasonable for a trip with a newbie on-board?? I have no concern, just want the passengers to be comfortable long enough to pick up some fish. I usually fish out of Whittier and Seward.

Thoughts???

.SAT...SW WIND 15 KT. SEAS 4 FT.
    .SAT NIGHT...S WIND 15 KT. SEAS 4 FT.
    .SUN...SW WIND 15 KT. SEAS 4 FT.
    Hey bro, I will be down this weekend if you want to hook up. Give me a call. Leaving first thing in the AM.