Thread: echo rods

Default echo rods

Anybody fish any of the Echo fly rods? I am looking at the 10ft 6wt Ion, and the 12'6" 6wt Rajeff spey. I did a forum search, and found a few bad comments about them, but the people that said the comments said the same thing about the Sage FLI, and the TFO rods, both of which I have been happy with. I am looking for info from people that have cast these rods, not comments from someone who read something about them once. Thanks.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Default please move

Mods,
    Will you please move this thread to the fly fishing forum? I didn't verify which forum I was in before posting. Thanks.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Default Nice rods for the money...

I have an Echo 5 wt. Can't remember the model, got it 3 years ago and it was a more basic model with a dark green blank. I work out of state so don't have the rod here to check which model it is. But it was like $160 and for that price was a heck of a rod. It is a med to med/fast and handled dollies, grayling, and some pinks in Nome well. I have not fished it in about two years, but it was a good casting rod. A tad on the slower side for my preferences these days. Fit, finish, and cork was nice. One thing I have noticed about reviews is most the low/mid priced rods are attractive to newer (or brand new) fly fisherman. These folks don't know what they want and to be frank, might not know how to cast the rod properly in the first place. Perhaps looking for that magic bullet. I would take the reviews with a grain of salt. At the price point I got my Echo, I doubt I could have got a better rod. I would compare it well to some of my mid priced Cabelas rods, TFO, and mid level Orvis rods. It is not an upper end Scott or Sage of course, but it is a very attractive option in the mid priced rod market in my opinion.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Echo Rods

I have both 5 wt and and 8wt 4 piece Echo rods. These rods are pretty comparable to TFO rods in cost, warranty, and feel. With the Echo rod you get an carrying tube; With TFO just a sock. Good rods for the price.

Echo makes very good rods and sells them for an honest price. I just spent a week using Echo one-handers and speys. Very nice. You won't be disappointed.

Default thanks

Thank you all for the info.

Jake

I have cast every rod in the echo line, from the Micro to the TR1510, and while some don't fit my casting idiosyncrasies, the ones that do are some of my favorite rods.

I use the Ion 9' 10wt as my backup king rod...it is heavier and slightly stiffer in the hand than my Primary king rod, but it is about $550 cheaper.

I also am a big fan of the TR line, and I have the 8136, the 7130, and the 5120 in heavy rotation. The 6126 didn't make the cut as the Beulah Platinum is a better fit for me, but the platinum is also $240 more - yet another consideration.

Tim, Jamie, Jared, and Ivy are all great folks to deal with if you ever have a problem with an Echo rod.

Default Echo

I got to cast one today. I will definitely have one soon. It is a sweet stick, and the low price makes it even better. Any body looking for a great rod for under $200 should check out the Echo Ion series. Thanks again to everyone for the input.

Jake