Thread: Weatherby VG 300 Weatherby Magnum

Default Weatherby VG 300 Weatherby Magnum

After a lot of searching and testing I picked one of these up today and topped in with a 3-10X42 swarovski av...got the whole package for 1100.00 as I got a good deal on the scope. Always thought that for what you got the vanguard is tough to beat for the money. The trigger broke at 2.96 pounds on my scale. I am going to glass bed the rifle but other than that leave it as it. I bought it for a good all around one rifle for mule deer, elk, moose, sheep, and goats.

Looking to workup loads with either the 165 barnes, 165 accubond, or 180 accubond...Any suggestions or load to look at?
    375 Ruger Hawkeye...Mice to Moose, Impala to Buffalo....1 GUN.....WORLDS PURSUIT

I would see how it shoots before bedding it. I have three Vanguards. They have all shot well(under one inch groups, sometimes better) out of the box.

I like shooting 180 grain loads the best. My gun really seems to like the Remington 180 grain corelokt load.

First of all congratulations...

Nice rifle and VERY nice scope.

I would second seant's comments about shoot first bed second. I have two Vanguards one a .300 Weatherby and one in .257 and both shoot well under and inch with everything I have ran through them.

Keep us posted on the range results.

For the game you're looking at, I'd probably go with the 180 grain as well. Something along the lines of the Nosler Partition. However, my .300 Wby is like SeanT's and really likes the 180 gr Core-lokt, which seems to do just fine on game.Or you can do like me: I load 165 gr Accubonds for deer-sized game, 200 gr Partitions for elk and up, and 180 gr Core-lokts for a general purpose "cheap" load.

Great grab indeed. I would shoot it first as mentioned above before bedding it. In fact if you reload, you should see if your load development can produce an accurate round. Nice set up and it will do all you want it to do using the 300Wby cartridge.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Sorry in my excitement over your purchase I forgot to offer any load advice LOL!!!

You can't go wrong with a Barnes TSX or Tipped TSX in a .300 Weatherby.

Personally I would go with the 168 gr or 180 Tipped TSX as they have a B.C. of .470 and .482 respectively.

If you have a powder in mind and are looking for data let me know and I will be happy to share with you.

To start I was going to try to work up loads with R22 and MagPro shooting 168 Barnes TTSX's. According to Barnes Depending on charge I should be able to get 3300-3380 depending on charge...This bullet at those velocitys if accurate would be in my opinion the ultimate load for what I will be using it for.
    375 Ruger Hawkeye...Mice to Moose, Impala to Buffalo....1 GUN.....WORLDS PURSUIT

Quote Originally Posted by theONE73 View Post
    Sorry in my excitement over your purchase I forgot to offer any load advice LOL!!!

You can't go wrong with a Barnes TSX or Tipped TSX in a .300 Weatherby.

Personally I would go with the 168 gr or 180 Tipped TSX as they have a B.C. of .470 and .482 respectively.

If you have a powder in mind and are looking for data let me know and I will be happy to share with you.
    Yes, good idea theONE73. Here is what I like - RL-22 start at 80grs and work up using the 180gr TTSX and you should fine some very good accuracy along with velocity.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default RL-22 is my favorite powder...

Use it in my 165 and 180 grain loads. It is very accurate in my rifle. I use H1000 for the 200 grainers. Not quite as accurate, but the vitals on the animals I use that bullet for are bigger Haven't used the Barnes bullets, but that 168 TTSX load sounds absolutely deadly!

anybody use the berger VLD....THE 190 grain bullet seems like a great long range load.

Quote Originally Posted by idahotrophyhunter View Post

Looking to workup loads with either the 165 barnes, 165 accubond, or 180 accubond...Any suggestions or load to look at?

I had sucess with the 168g A-Max. Different usage than you are looking for perhaps. Long and short of it, it shoots 3/4" groups consistently. I almost sold that gun. When I first got it, it would not shoot 1.5" groups. Factory fodder was not working. Mounted a Burris Signature 6-24, worked up a good load, and this was a tack driver. Great gun for the money.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

This is the factory shot target that came with the gun... 0.7" 3 shot group....That is amazing for a 400.00 rifle. Im thinking I won't be glass bedding it quite so fast.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I really think that the Weatherby Vanguard's don't really get the credit which they deserve. I have always been impressed with how well they shoot for their price.

This is why I like to try various brands of rifles. Sometimes a cheaper rifle will really suprise you.