Thread: Looking for sheep partner, one last time...

Default Looking for sheep partner, one last time...

Hey all, I'm still looking for someone to do a fly in sheep hunt with in the Wrangells, 9-18 August. I already have everything lined up, except a partner. If you didn't have plans yet, or your partner fell through or whatever, and you want to go, let me know. If I don't hear back about anything by Monday, I will have to scrap the fly in and just do a solo ATV hunt.I can't really change the dates because I'm flying up from the lower 48 (I'm an AK resident--active duty military).Anyway, let me know if you're interested. I'll be up there in 9 days regardless!!!!!! Can't wait!!!!!!

Default curious

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    Hey all, I'm still looking for someone to do a fly in sheep hunt with in the Wrangells, 9-18 August. I already have everything lined up, except a partner. If you didn't have plans yet, or your partner fell through or whatever, and you want to go, let me know. If I don't hear back about anything by Monday, I will have to scrap the fly in and just do a solo ATV hunt.I can't really change the dates because I'm flying up from the lower 48 (I'm an AK resident--active duty military).Anyway, let me know if you're interested. I'll be up there in 9 days regardless!!!!!! Can't wait!!!!!!
    Why do you have to have a partner for the fly in?

Copper Valley Air won't fly me in solo. I would have no problem going by myself, but it's a moot point if they won't do it. They base that decision on the safety aspect. They would rather spend their time flying hunters in than looking for lost/injured people that went out solo. Plus since I'll be in the Wrangell-St. Elias Preserve, I guess the NPS frowns on it.

Default Broken ankle

A broken ankle, is a broken ankle!

If there are two hunters then it's still an accident that needs serious attention. I went to the Dr. Wednesday and got my emergency medicines for a serious injury. The way I figure if I'm sitting on a mountain side busted up I better have some pain meds to help. I guess I'm on the fence with this situation. I like solo hunting and with a satellite phone it's possible to get a call out with moderate injury. In any situation with serious injury......you just better say some prayers.

I hope you find someone committed enough to join ya. I'm already doing a trip into the Brooks.

This guy sounds like a stand up person really wanting to put together a nice sheep hunt. If ya got the stamina, gear, time, and $$$$ contact him and see what he's got in mind.

Default Flying solo

Wow, they won't fly you solo, even with an Iridium phone? I mean they still make you sign the papers anyway. Kind of late in the game, when did your partner drop out? I'm sure you could've got someone, if this was a couple months earlier. Good luck...hope you get a good ram, to make up for this ordeal.

I've hunted solo many times but, this is my first solo fly-in for me this year, it will be interesting, but its a score I have to settle for myself. I'm sure I'm going to have many challenges.

Default not uncommon

I flew in solo to Tok about 8 years back and got the same story. 40 mile said the same thing but after some prodding they said they would if I paid for 2 hunters?? I found another operator to drop me but they were pretty apprehensive as well. Not at all happy about the solo deal.

Not to derail the thread, but I'm fairly confident they only have so many places they can put sheep hunters at one time. (I worked as pilot/guide in past) If you go in solo, that's 50% income on that spot. I'm sure safety weighs in somewhere too, but "pay for two hunters" comments kinda paints true colors.

Hopefully you get a partner, but if not I'd still try to get flown. I bet when it comes down to it, someone would take your money. Times are tough!

Default Solo

If it's a cub, that's one thing, but a 185 or something that normally carries multiple hunters, I can see the economic consideration. They have to burn the same time and fuel to drop off one hunter as two. All the outfits I have spoken with were willing to drop me in solo, but it was going to cost the same whether there was one or two people.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone. I can't afford to pay double, so if I can't find someone I will just have to do an ATV/walk in. Either way, I'm going to give 'em h***! And if I don't get a ram, at least I got to hang out in some of the best country in the best state in the Union!

Default PM sent

Hey, I just sent you a PM. I might be able to do this hunt.