Thread: New Tent Prep

Default New Tent Prep

The new 4 Man Alaskan Guide tent came last week and have been waiting till the weather clears up before I set her up in the yard.
    It came with a seam sealer which I guess I just need to apply and was wondering if thats all that will be needed or do I spray the whole thing down with water sealant. Seems I saw a post on someone saying just to treat the rain fly. Any advise?
    Thanks
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

I just got a new tent recently (Eureka! Tetragon 7) myself and I'm doing the same thing you are waiting for the weather to clear and dry up enough to set it up.

It looks like I'm going to have to resort to setting it up in my living room instead if I want to treat it before moose season.

Anyways, I've got a bottle of Obenauf's silicone spray that I'm going to do the seams and fly with.
    Now what ?

Pshh...Thats hunt prep...Nothin like settin the tent up in the living, watchin Love, Thunder and Bull, and gruntin like a bull while the JetBoil bubbles.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

LMAO... that's good stuff TWB

Last year my Eureka K2XT showed up too late to set up and prep before going to Kodiak. I just made sure it went up and the zippers worked. We sat out 4 days of rain in that tent and not a single leak. As a matter of fact, I haven't seam sealed or sprayed anything on any of my last 4 tents..two Eurekas, a North Face and an REI. None of them leak. I carry seam seal along, just in case one develops a leak, but none have.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

The first time I set my new Hilleberg up was in the wind and rain in my side yard. I'm sure the neighbors thought I was crazy but I wanted to set it up in real hunting conditions. I set my older North Face up first and then the Jannu. It was a really good comparison test. A little rain isn't going to hurt your new tents. If it does, you may as well know now!

Take your rain fly and soak it in a bucket full of Thompson's Water Seal for your deck. Spread it out and let it air dry. It will be good for a full season
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    Take your rain fly and soak it in a bucket full of Thompson's Water Seal for your deck. Spread it out and let it air dry. It will be good for a full season
    If you have to do that it's time for a new tent

Honestly, if you have to water seal your 3/4 season tent, then it's just not meant to hit the field.

I sprung for an alps engineering tent last summer, I've been in terrential downpours, wind..you name it. exo frame put some distance between the tent and the fly, and the fly sheds water like a ducks back..never once been wet, never even worry about it. Great tent..cept it's blue, so not a very sneaky tent
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

dang guys come on up and use my yard... no rain in over a month seems like and bring some with...i think i would rather the skeeters back then the bees...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Honestly, if you have to water seal your 3/4 season tent, then it's just not meant to hit the field.

I sprung for an alps engineering tent last summer, I've been in terrential downpours, wind..you name it. exo frame put some distance between the tent and the fly, and the fly sheds water like a ducks back..never once been wet, never even worry about it. Great tent..cept it's blue, so not a very sneaky tent

I was actually looking at Alps Mountaineering tents before I bought the Eureka!. The only reason I bought the Eureka! was I've been on an unusual streak of falling into good deals this year and this one was no different. It still suits my needs so I can't complain.
    Now what ?

Default I turned the hose

on it today pretty good and it shed water great and no leaks. Good to go I guess.
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!