Thread: Blacktailed deer questions

Default Blacktailed deer questions

So I'm here in Juneau and just started hunting ducks this year and am hoping to find a deer or two for the winter. I am wondering where to hunt, and what type of habitat to look for. We just got our first big snow ~16", more higher, so i'm hoping the deer concentrate somewhere. Also I'm wonderign what type of calls to use and when. I can hunt the mainland which has much less pressure but assumedly less deer (bucks only) or I can hunt Douglas which I can take any deer I see, but it gets a ton of hunting pressure. Right now my plan is to ski through the woods and look for fresh track to follow and otherwise hope to run into somethig. I can't shoot wihtin 1/4 mile of the roadway or 150 yards from a forrest service trail. Any thoughts?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

anyone????

Never hunted that area before, but my experience has been that Blacktails act differently, in specific locations. For instance, on Kodiak, they tend to act like mule deer, in larger herds and tend to stay in more open terrain. On Shuyak Is, they live in the draws, never going out on top of the plateau. On Montaque, Hinchinbrook and Hawkins, they hang out high up for the most part, living in seclusion or very small (less than 6) groups, hardly what you would call a herd. They also hang out at single bushes in open meadows (high swamps). Most of the big bucks we have taken, came from tangled messes of mass windfell groups of trees. If you find a large stand of blowndown forest, along a cliff or ridge, hunt it carefully and fully. That is where I concentrate my efforts. Some of the locals there could speak better on the local deers habits though.

Some guys will hike up to Spaulding meadows by Auke Bay and find deer up here. Also Thunder mountain from the highway department side is a possibility. You could drive to the end of the road on north Douglas then walk the beach at low tide around as far as you care to walk. With the weather being so lousy (windy) mainland hunting might just be the ticket. Good Luck

Default Juneau Deer

Just like you said, mainland gets less pressure but it's bucks only and overall deer are less concentrated then Douglas. Douglas gets hit hard. Hunting down low on douglas, especially on the weekend is about the only place in Alaska I've ever hunted where I feel like I should be wearing hunters oarnge. Don't bother bringing your skis, unless you go up to spaulding meadows, because your not going to be able to ski through the woods around Juneau. Go slow and keep your eyes open. You might have to work (put in some time) but they are there. Good luck.

Luke

hunted north douglas and saw lots and lots of tracks but no deer (otherwise they would have died)
    I just need to find a good area on the mainland that I can hunt legally. Spaulding meadows seems a bit high with the amount of snow we have now so I was thinking the montana creek trail... So a bleat call right?

Default juneau/douglas

bleat will work.

i hunted off the ditch trail while i was there. gives you access to many drainages. always saw more hunters than deer, but got a few deer. the animals are scared there!

never hunted the mainland, but saw deer while driving out the road.