Thread: Boat for the Kenai

Default Boat for the Kenai

Im looking for a boat for the kenai river and found a few on craigslist...

A 17' Alumaweld with a 40hp yamaha 4 stroke for 12000

A 1995 20' Willie Predator with a 50 hp yamaha 4 stroke for 14999

a 1998 20' harbercraft kingfisher with a 50 hp honda for 11750

any exerience or reviews on these king of boats would be very helpful thank you

IMHO, they are all overpriced... especially being used.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Those Willie Predators really hold their value well. If it's in good shape, has a trailer, and the motor runs good with 1000 hours or less then it is probably worth it. Pretty hard to beat those boats for the Kenai. I have also seen folks out in the ocean in those boats as long as they don't go too far out. I wouldn't go with anything less than 18' or less than the 50 hp motor for the Kenai.

if you are just going to fish the kenai go with the predator. If you want to do some very limited close in saltwater use, the predator may be ok too, but if you want to hit the saltwater alot, the predator isn't really the best boat for that.

For 3 grand more, I'd go for the Willie over the Alumaweld. I saw that Harbercraft for sale and IMO, any 18'-20' boat on the Kenai with a "v" hull and only 50 hp is not great. I come to this observation after having spent a few seasons red fishing and getting prop washed by all the boat traffic on the river. Love how guys slap a 50 hp on a 20' Hewescraft!!!
    The flatter the bottom, the better for river use. We're now on our 2nd boat for the Kenai and it's a 16' Alumaweld Xtreme w/25 hp Yamaha. Love it although a 35 hp would be better for more than 2 guys/gear. Pretty amazing economy with these 4 strokes; we can do 3 days worth of red fishing on 6 gal. gas without emptying the tank running an average of 12 miles a day. I do love the space and the way the big flat bottom riverboats scoot w/50 hp!
    BTW----which model Alumaweld?
    Jim

I'd bet you can get a new 18' G3 w/a 50 hp yammie for close to what some of those other boats cost??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default new G3 new 50hp for less than those prices

Pot builder is right you can get ALL new stuff for the same price point (<15K)

I ended up w/ a 16' G3 and a 50hp 2-stroke Tohatsu , then added a jet pump. I'm happy thus far (although it a tiller) and did not break the bank.

i beleive it is a alumaweld intruder but not sure... i would like something i coulduse out in the inlet also for halibut

Default Several boats 4 sale right now Trout-fisher

Evenin',

Not sure where you're at but with there are several worthy "guide-like" boats for sale along the highways in Soldotna and Kenai right now. May be worth a trip looking and calling the owners. It's the best selection I've seen in my 8 years down here and it should be a good chance to get the river boat you want given the variety in selection.

For mine, I have a Wolly Alaskan 20'. Not many Wolly's on the Kenai running the river but I love it for several reasons. I've had it on salt water in the right kind of seas and stay off on the wrong days but I'd take that same approach if it were a Fish-Rite or Willy, too. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikahtnu View Post
    Evenin',

Not sure where you're at but with there are several worthy "guide-like" boats for sale along the highways in Soldotna and Kenai right now. May be worth a trip looking and calling the owners. It's the best selection I've seen in my 8 years down here and it should be a good chance to get the river boat you want given the variety in selection.

For mine, I have a Wolly Alaskan 20'. Not many Wolly's on the Kenai running the river but I love it for several reasons. I've had it on salt water in the right kind of seas and stay off on the wrong days but I'd take that same approach if it were a Fish-Rite or Willy, too. Good luck.

Yep, alot used guide boats in town for sale right now.

The Harbercraft would be the best crossover boat imo. The Predator without a doubt is the #1 guide boat on the Kenai. And many do us them in the salt near shore as well. I have seen many of them out in Pony Cove and Day harbor out of Seward. But, my Dad has a 20' harbercraft with a 140 Suzuki on it. What a sweet boat. Really Really cuts the waves well and is a very smooth dry ride. Granted, it won't be the same boat with a 50hp on the back, but will ride well and be quite safe in the salt. It will draw alittle more water in the Kenai, but then again, the Kenai has enough water that is really not an issue other than very early in the season. Good luck with you choice.

Default harbercraft

Wound up buying the 20' harbercraft with the 50 horse honda on it. tested it out on a lake here .. gona go for silvers next week