Thread: Delta clear water/ Healy lake

Default Delta clear water/ Healy lake

I was checking my maps and doing some research about hunting off of delta clear water and up towards healy lake (herd some guys saying the duck hunting might be good there). I have a 650 acre plot I hunt at the end of nistler road, and from the maps it doesnt look like its to far away from me. I have a 20ft boat so no problems there. Does anyone know how to get into that area by boat or even truck? From the google sat. images it looks like there are trails all through the area and into healy lake. Willing to use my boat, gas, dogs and decoys if someone is interested in helping me out with some directions in. Thanks for any info on this
    Justin

Hmmm Last time I talked about the Holy land (healy) i got slammed by a few of the forum police about keeping the place to themselves.

You'll have to find it by Trial and Error just like I did back in the 80's...or follow Frank Murkowski downriver from the Sawmill Launch....he has a place out there, its not that hard really.

Good Luck

The holy place eh............ I am all about trial and error and putting in the time to find a place. I appreciate it and maybe I will give ole Franky a call to see when he is going in so I can follow......

Default Google Earth Trails

Keep in mind that Google Earth GIS "experts" identify "winter only" trails as normal trails in their system which won't work too well for a truck but are fine for a snow machine in the, umm, winter.

There's no ducks over there.

Last time I was over there, I had to let a little water out and pulled up to this island ( I thought ) and I scared the Island and it moved away from me. Thought I was in the twilght zone.

Really though I did'nt know it was a boat. Some of the stuff they come up with these days.

When you gota go no holds barred.

Default Easy enough to find

Healy Lake is not hard to find. The closest boat launch is down the Agriculture road next to the Gerstle. Sometimes the mouth is tricky if it is shallow. From the Delta area it would be a easy day trip. If you plan on spending the night, you'll need a host. All the dry land is native allotments or privately owned.
    Duck hunting has changed there due to the mouth silting up, and the water levels rising. On top of that, some of the islands are permafrost and seem to be melting into the lake. The grass flats are diminishing, and holding areas for the puddlers are disappearing.
    That does not mean there are not ducks, it just means it is not the same as it was when I was 14 and hunting it for the first time. That would have been 1972.

thanks for the info guys, much appreciated
    Justin

Default Healy hmmm...

Tex hunter were are hunting @ the end of nistler road. I'm pretty sure there are guides working that area. I'd watch out for healy lake. You might get into a little scuffel with the locals on the lake.

Guides are definatly not working this spot or anything close to it. Its private land that a friend of the family owns. I help him hay it and keep the cattle and he lets me hunt it. More geese and cranes then you can emagine. Hard to figure out when to start shooting. Thanks for the heads up about going in there. I will respect there land and wont do anything to give them a reason for stopping me

Quote Originally Posted by akair View Post
    Tex hunter were are hunting @ the end of nistler road. I'm pretty sure there are guides working that area. I'd watch out for healy lake. You might get into a little scuffel with the locals on the lake.

Default locals not an issue

I've never had a problem with Healy Lake residents while hunting waterfowl. Have others? I've heard so. But I've never seen it happen. Most of them realize that the season is short and leave the duck hunters to their own devices.
    They may make runs to ensure people are not trespassing. In the past, they also watched out for the property of non-lake residents. We rarely had to worry about tresspassers or cabin break ins.
    I doubt you'll have any worries if you go to the lake if you keep in mind what I said about dry ground. Also keep in mind that the first point off to the left as you enter the lake, across the bay, just west of the village is absolutely off limits.
    I think that you can find some spots to go have fun in, and see some new areas. After all, isn't that part of the reasons we hunt? If you come in by prop, the entrance to the lake is shallow. Plan on poling, pushing, working. If you have a jet, after you get into the lake you'll find all the weeds a guy could ever hope NOT to find. Plan on poling, pushing, working. But heck, you'll still be out hunting, not home working on the bathroom remodel or something.