Thread: Shark this weekend

Default Shark this weekend

I am thinking of heading over to the east side this weekend out of Whittier to try for sharks. Is anyone else from the board headed this way? Also, is there a place in Anchorage to buy whole pinks for bait? I remember hearing that it is OK to use sport caught fish for this now, but I did not think ahead when I was releasing them when silver fishing. Also, I assume that there are a lot of pinks where the sharks are, so another possibility is to catch a few pinks first. This is my first time trying to shark, so any comments are appreciated. I went to B&J's and got Tom's current version of a shark setup, so we will see how this all goes.

Jim
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I think you can only use sport caught pinks and chums in southeast for bait (could be wrong), I'm sure the fish processer in whittier has plenty of pinks though
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I think you can only use sport caught pinks and chums in southeast for bait (could be wrong), I'm sure the fish processer in whittier has plenty of pinks though

I just talked to Fish and Game and they said it is OK to use sport caught picks for bait now. I would like to have some with me instead of having to catch them before fishing. I did not know that there was a processor in Whittier. Do you know their name or where they are at? I would like to contact them and at least pick up a few on the way out.

Jim
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    It changed this year to be able to use sport caught pinks, and maybe chums, for bait in SC.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Yea I had saw in changed in SE just never read the SC regs super carefully...
    THe processor in whittier is between the harbor and the ferry dock if I remember right. Its the big grey building, Trident or Norquest not sure which, its been a while
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Steel Leader

Make sure to use a very strong steel leader. Those teeth are razor sharp. They will even cut through a thin steel leader. I've trolled pinks before and its a blast... those sharks will swim right up beside the boat to take them...

just dont plan on catching any pinks or bottom fish near the sharks to use for bait... unless you can reel them up reeeaaall fast

~AKBoatR

B&J'S can make you a NICE shark troller rig..Hook, steel braided leader, flasher in-line.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Heres a pretty cool read on SalmonSharks..
    http://outdoorsdirectory.com/magazine/sharkhunt.htm

I plan on going after them on Tuesday. I have never tried this before so I don't know what kind of learning curve there is. Anyone got some suggestions?

jakim,,,,,,Did you check out the link above,, Appears to be quite a bit of solid info there..

We fly fished for salmon sharks for our pilot TV episode. Had one on for 1 1/2 hr. He finally braided through the line with tail wrap so make sure you have a long wire leader long enough that when they tail wrap that line, as they will, it doesn't cut through. Thier skin is like sand paper. They will also dive on you spooling you out so try to work them towards the shore if you're close.

A few cool notes: they've been clocked at over 50 knots by the Navy and can weigh up to 1,000 lbs w/average around 250lb. Good luck. And remember to drop a bit of chum to get them going.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Thanks for all the advice. I am keeping a copy of that article posted, that has a lot of good info. I had one guy scheduled to go with me that had done this before and he bailed, so it was just me and a friend that has not fished much, so I decided to not go for shark this weekend. A great weekend out and we got ling, silvers, halibut and shrimp. It seems like the silvers are abundant this year and the halibut are a bit scarce.

I am going to keep the shark gear on board and will give it a try, but only if I don't have kids on board with me.

Jim
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Default check out youtube.

Type in "salmon shark" on youtube to watch some great videos. You might be able to pick up a few tips as well by paying attention to what they are using and how they are fighting the shark. Just a thought.
    BK

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

we would drift pinks and a double flasher and nail them down out of valdez i made steel leaders with 500lb swivles in them at least 3 in the line in the leader and it would be 12 foot long. always on the drift so that we could run them down if need be...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

We had a run-in with an unexpected shark this past week out near Lone Island out of Whittier. We had 2 large halibut at another location earlier(one over 100#, the other just under 100#) and had them on ropes tied off to the cleats to keep them cool and wet. As I was soaking a line, I caught a glimpse of a salmon swim by, which got me pretty excited. As I was grabbing my mooching pole, I saw the "salmon" again and realized that it was actually a 4' or so shark. It was making quick darting moves back and forth about 20' under the boat. It scared the crap out of me once I realized what was going on! Needless to say, we pulled them halibut out of the water with a quickness!

My first experience with salmon sharks was out by Naked Island. I'd spun a prop and was changing it. Laying on the swim step, arms in the water up to my elbows. Saw the fin as it slowly swam by. Nope, done' think I'll forget that.