Thread: 30-06 pet loads???

Question 30-06 pet loads???

I have loaded up some 165gr hornady BTSP (interlocks) with H4350 in 1/2gr increments from 56gr up to 58gr (59gr is the never exceed load from the Lee manual). I have not shot these loads yet and I was wondering if there was a concensus on the "best" load for 30-06. OAL is 3.295", WLR primers.

I don't have and chrono and don't really care about top speed, just accuracy. I read someones post on here a while back that they thought 57gr of H4350 was the sweet spot.
    What are your favorite 30-06 loads?

These are purely whitetail loads for this fall so hold your comments on interlocks.
    (p.s. I tried the search function and it was useless.)

Default '06 load

My favorite load when I lived in Knoxville many years ago was 58 gr. of 4350 behind a 150 Sierra spitzer SP. It would consistancy put the first 3 shots in a 1/2" c-c at 100 yds. This was out of a 2 groove 03-A3 springfield with a 4X Weaver scope. Max load was around 62 grs or so and primers fell out at around 65 gr.

Never shot a deer with it but should be fine for them. When I grew up down there deer very scarce to even see except in Cades Cove; now the deer population has exploded and they are everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Hillbilly View Post
    I have loaded up some 165gr hornady BTSP (interlocks) with H4350 in 1/2gr increments from 56gr up to 58gr (59gr is the never exceed load from the Lee manual). I have not shot these loads yet and I was wondering if there was a concensus on the "best" load for 30-06. OAL is 3.295", WLR primers.

I don't have and chrono and don't really care about top speed, just accuracy. I read someones post on here a while back that they thought 57gr of H4350 was the sweet spot.
    What are your favorite 30-06 loads?

These are purely whitetail loads for this fall so hold your comments on interlocks.
    (p.s. I tried the search function and it was useless.)
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    My favorite load when I lived in Knoxville many years ago was 58 gr. of 4350 behind a 150 Sierra spitzer SP. It would consistancy put the first 3 shots in a 1/2" c-c at 100 yds. This was out of a 2 groove 03-A3 springfield with a 4X Weaver scope. Max load was around 62 grs or so and primers fell out at around 65 gr.

Never shot a deer with it but should be fine for them. When I grew up down there deer very scarce to even see except in Cades Cove; now the deer population has exploded and they are everywhere.
    Thanks! I will try to keep the primers in.

Yep, deer are a nuisance now. They are having the first elk hunt in 150 years this fall in the WMA north of Knoxville. Only about 8 tags.

I have pet loads with both RL-19 and IMR 4350 but what shoots best from my old Ruger 30-06 may or may not shoot as well from your rifle.

As an example, my son and I both have .300 Win Mag in Ruger 77's. Both rifles are the old style with the slide safety on the top rear of the receiver. Both barrels are the same length. I load 180 grain Grand Slams for moose with H4831. This load shoots from my son's rifle under 1 inch at 100 yards. It shoots about 2.5 inches from mine. Same bullet same brass and primer, change powder to RL-22 and my rifle is more accurate.

So just work a load for your rifle and go from there.

Your pretty close to perfection with the load you have. 58 grns might be a little warm depending on brass. Ive always had several 30-06's to load for, and here's what has worked for me.

125's - RL15
    150's - 52grns IMR4064
    165's - 56-57grns IMR4350
    180's - H4350, IMR4831, IMR 4350
    200's - RL19

Nothing wrong with the interlock either. I took some 165 SP to Kodiak one fall for deer and got complete pass throughs on 3 deer from 40-200 yards. Last fall took a decent brownie with a 180 interlock. Found it on the far side in the fat next to the hide.

Default ok but can you do a small powder charge

i was reading the post there and was wondering for a smaller game load could you load down the round but keeping a lighter wieght bullet for use say a smaller game animals that you have up there..

for after talking to my brother he said that he just load the 30-06-round down a few grains of powder and kept the small grain hollow point round for smaller game up there..

he has a small game load that is in the range of 25.grains of powder to a 150.grain softpoint round for small game as need ..
    for he it to hold hog hunt in texas witht the load for the ranges are less than 200.yards max for the shot

i also think he has a load for a 125.grain round for short range hunting in thick heavy woods typles setting..

for we where talking about some the reloading powders and he said was best to make up some rounds and try them out and see how well they work and they take them hunting for game when get the chance ..

Thumbs up ImR 4350 in 3006

IMR 4350

57 with 180 Part
    WW Cases
    Fed 210M primers

Excellent load in the O6

Lots of folks seem to have good luck with 57 grains of H4350 behind a 180 grain bullet. My rifle does not like that load. It likes 56 grains of the same powder behind the same bullet, but only if it is a flat base. So far it really does not like any of my boat tail handloads but, it likes American Eagle 150 grain factory load boat tails.

My point is that what makes good accuracy in one rifle will not in another so you are on the right track, try different loads and see what groups.

my brother said that i going to have to do some reloading and see which lots of powder and primers and bullets are going to give me the best accuracy out the ind rifles that i have .

Default Some good coyote and deer loads....

Below loads shot from pre-64 70, fwt (22" barrel), no pressure signs:
    Hornady 110 VMAX: 53.6 gr AA2520 MOA
    Speer 130 HP: 51.0 gr XMR2015 chrono @ 3020 avg, MOA
    Speer 130 HP: 54.0 gr VARGET chrono @ 2970 avg, MOA
    Hornady 150 SST: 58.3 gr IMR4350 SUB MOA
    Nosler 150 AB: 59.0 IMR4350 SUB MOA
    Great accuracy and performance on the small stuff!

Default IMR 4350, 4064 and RL19

I have three loads that have proven accurate in multiple .30-06s over the last 35 years. They are:

IMR 4064 47.5 grains, 180 grain bullets; chronographed @ avg of 2496 fps in 22" barrel

I have used this load with Federal, Winchester, Remington brass and Nosler, Speer, Hornady 180 grainers and Rem, Fed, and CCI large rifle non-magnum primers. It is a moderate but VERY consistent load that has shot dime-sized groups at 100 yards consistently and killed many blacktails.

IMR 4350 55.0 grains, 180 grain bullets; chronographed @ avg of 2585 fps in 22" barrel

Also used in cases from Federal, Winchester, Remington with Nosler, Speer, Hornady 180 grain bullets and Rem, Fed, CCI large rifle primers. This is a near maximum load that is nonetheless very consistent in multiple rifles. It has shot 1/2"-3/4" groups in several 06s over the years and killed many blacktails and black bear.

RL 19 59.0 grains, Sierra 165 grain Spitzer BT; chronographed @ avg 2731 fps in 22" barrel

Used in only Win cases and with Rem 9 1/2 LR primers to date. Moderate pressures but extraordinary accuracy. Avg 200 yard groups .918".

Quote Originally Posted by henry2 View Post
    he has a small game load that is in the range of 25.grains of powder to a 150.grain softpoint round for small game as need ..
    for he it to hold hog hunt in texas witht the load for the ranges are less than 200.yards max for the shot

i also think he has a load for a 125.grain round for short range hunting in thick heavy woods typles setting..

for we where talking about some the reloading powders and he said was best to make up some rounds and try them out and see how well they work and they take them hunting for game when get the chance ..
    Be careful downloading bottleneck rifle rounds with jacketed bullets--it's not too tough to lodge a bullet in the barrel. What you're talking about can certainly be done, you just have to take a bit of care. Also, it matters a great deal which powder you're using. You can't just take 25 grains of any old powder and assemble a load with it. A couple of manuals have reduced velocity loads, so I'd strongly recommend you seek those out.

Ken Waters' book "Pet Loads" has some references to downloading .30-06. I believe Ken mentions that Townsend Whelen used to take some lower velocity FMJ rounds with him when he went hunting where there was small game in the area. It's been awhile since I've read it, so I won't guess at the load he used but I want to say it put a 150 grain FMJ bullet at about 1500 fps. Regardless, I do remember that he worked it up so the downloaded round was dead-on at 50 yards and his normal hunting ammo was zeroed at 200.

Good Luck,
    Mike

Well said, MikeT. Pressures are a function of the powder and volume of the case. It seem paradoxical, but reduced load can result in increased pressures, could do damage to your action. Ken Waters has done all the hard work of testing. His loads have always performed as he states for me.
    NRA Lifetime Member

that why iam doing some handloadering right now and going to the range and test the loads to see if there is any problems..
    i have a basic low powder load and a 125 grain soft point load all ready worked up for small game

Thumbs up Closing the thread

Thanks for all the input guys. I finally shot my handloads and as it turns out the lightest load was the most accurate. 56gr of H4350 with the 165gr interlocks shot into just over 1" out of my Rem 710. That is about 1/2" better than factory 180gr silvertips.

All the other loads got progressively worse up to my 58gr max (no pressure signs or chrony data).

Default 30-06 loads

I have been loading '06 for 25 years and i have to find a better load ten,imr 4350 57.0gr with 165gr nosler bt. win primers.It will shoot 3/4 " group all day.
    bubba69