Thread: Opinions on using sponsons?

Default Opinions on using sponsons?

Hi folks,

I'm considering adding a set of sponsons to my 18' Clipper MacSport (40" beam). I take my wife and kids on a pretty big river and I think sponsons would add a measure of safety with the little ones on board. They look goofy but they are supposed to add a lot of stability. I could also go to a higher HP outboard (currently 2.5) without worrying too much. I'm looking at the outrigger types.

Thoughts?

Default apples/oranges

A RHIB is not a canoe, but I think you are going in the right direction. Being a RHIB owner, those tubes out there do wonders for stability. Do the best you can to have them just out of the water to eliminate drag, but close enough that they hit the water before a kid does. I'm not sure of the $$/project time you have in mind, but big tubes along the hull are fantastic for stability; poor for paddling. Maybe you'll add oars/locks? Outriggers are surely stable, but I'd hate to maneuver them in brush, etc, or catch one on a sweeper, etc. I prefer the concept of tubes along the hull that will bounce off most things. Keep us posted on what you try and how it works. j

We use some inflattable sponsoons on our Ally pack canoe. Works great and goes on easy. You can see the straps below the canoe. I guess this could be rigged to any type of canoe. They ride high enough so they don't touch the water, but they have kept us from flipping a time or two. PM if you want to know where to buy them.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckjgc View Post
    Hi folks,

I'm considering adding a set of sponsons to my 18' Clipper MacSport (40" beam). I take my wife and kids on a pretty big river and I think sponsons would add a measure of safety with the little ones on board. They look goofy but they are supposed to add a lot of stability. I could also go to a higher HP outboard (currently 2.5) without worrying too much. I'm looking at the outrigger types.

Thoughts?
    Canuck, I have the overall dimensions of your canoe, I have pdf files, measuremnts, and specs for practically every freight canoe both new and old. I am in close contact with a military-grade micro cell foam supplier. I have found a specific foam that is both bouyant and repellent of water. this "etha foam" will be the basis for a set of sponsons that I plan on building. The sponsons will be built so as not to hinder the paddling stroke and have a tapering thickness that becomes smaller at the bow and stern. These arent going to be your average "happy meal" toy sponsons.....and the price will def. reflect that. These are designed to be rugged, and built for demanding loads and rough water. Give me a couple months and I will build you a kit and provide you with a very specific glue to adhere to your paticular finnish or your kevlar/or fiberglass mack. Extremely wide washers and thin, long carriage bolts with nylock nuts will also be supplied with the directions.

Quote Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
    A RHIB is not a canoe, but I think you are going in the right direction. Being a RHIB owner, those tubes out there do wonders for stability. Do the best you can to have them just out of the water to eliminate drag, but close enough that they hit the water before a kid does. I'm not sure of the $$/project time you have in mind, but big tubes along the hull are fantastic for stability; poor for paddling. Maybe you'll add oars/locks? Outriggers are surely stable, but I'd hate to maneuver them in brush, etc, or catch one on a sweeper, etc. I prefer the concept of tubes along the hull that will bounce off most things. Keep us posted on what you try and how it works. j

jklingel,
    I'm def. in partial agreement with you there.....outrigriggers can be a protruding pain. With that said.....they do have a place. A set of sturdy outriggers on a freighter that will be taken out into the ocean or large wind swept lakes is def. where they belong......on rivers, and streams is def. not where they belong. With the possibility of fighting large fish, attempting to pull them up into the boat, and the chance of increasing swells......are all good territory for an outrigger set.

Thanks all, great input. I would prefer a removable system, as there are some tight areas I go without the kids where I don't want them on.

Dana -- I've pm'd you -- those inflatables look good.