Thread: DG475......Anyone????.....Anyone????

Default DG475......Anyone????.....Anyone????

My father in law and I were lucky enough to draw tags for this area (along with a couple hundred other people) and were tossing around ideas as to where to land. As of now were are flying in on the 29th of Sep. so I dont want to bank on alpine lakes however that is the perfered method. were are taking a hard look at "stream 2" anyone ever hunt that area or attempt to climb up from there? All ideas are welcomed "stream 2" just happens to be our latest idea.

Thanks in advance....

Try the search function. This area has been discussed on the forum a fair amount in prior years. Also give Roland at Seahawk or Jon at ADF&G in Kodiak a call. They can give you the straight scoop.

Default Dg475

I did that hunt last year. My wife and I flew into an alpine lake. If I had to do it again I would fly into the salt where ever you spot them while flying in. It might be a tougher hunt because of the climb but you should have more goats to look at.
    When we flew out in early October the high lakes were still wide open but the puddles were starting to get a thin layer of ice on them at night.

Default My son and I did it last year...

The suggestion to call Rolan at Seahawk Air was a good idea...he knows what's up.

As I indicated, my son and I did that hunt at Stream 2 last year at the end of August. We were originally going to air taxi into an alpine lake, but it was still frozen during our hunt window last year after a very cold summer. We base-camped at sea level, and bush whacked to alpine for spike camp.

PM me for information.

Doc

I hunted DG475 last year- PM me if You need info.

I have a pretty elaborate plan to fill my DG 475 tag this year. Fly in, land on water, look up at mountain, find white spot, look at white spot w/ spotter, if it is a boy white spot then climb mountain and try and kill it. If it is a girl white spot keep looking for more white spots. Repeat until successful or Roland shows back up and says we have to leave...

You forgot the "weathered in the tent for three days" part Jon
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Did it Done it

I did that hunt last year, flew with Roland of Seahawk, in October, landed in the Salt and hiked up above the tree line, it took us 2.5 days to get up there. All I can say is, ALDER, ALDER, and ALDER!!!! thats how tough that stuff is to get through. I shot a goat in the evening that took a suicide tumble after shooting him 3 times, I would estimate he rolled over 1000 feet, needless to say, when me and my buddy got there the goat was gone ( took over 6 hours to get where he was) we saw bears almost everyday, big ones too! Lesson learned...never leave your downed game overnight on Kodiak.

If you guys want to do it, try and fly into Windy Lake, should be good this year with the warm temps.

Default Seahawk air

You can fit alot in a Beaver

Our camp looked like a yard sale because everyday we had to dry our stuff out.

kahahawai that sounds like one rough hunt, I will keep your suggestion in mind if I ever get the chance to hunt Kodiak.

LuJon good luck out there, hope you have been hitting the stair stepper their in Iraq!

ducks n' dogs good luck to you as well!

Default Yikes!! 2 1/2 days

kahahawai,

is that browns lagoon in the background? (pic of camp)

Quote Originally Posted by ducks n' dogs View Post
    kahahawai,

is that browns lagoon in the background? (pic of camp)

Wow, you guys are good. (uyak bay)

As you can see also look at all the alder you have to go through. We flew around for a while to look at several routes to get up, and this was the best way, other than the lake. Stream 2 way was just too far from where the goat were. The alder and the thick grass that grew within them made going uphill almost unpassable, anyone who has been through this can vouch for what I am talking about, ultimately the best way is to Parachute in, hehehe.

The mountain lakes are really spectacular up there, lots of clean flowing water, and we saw alot of deer, that you could practically throw a rock at, I learned that Blacktails are not that skittish. Good luck to all who drew DG475.If you get a goat...you earned it!!!

I guess thats why F&G told me only half the people actually go that get drawn.

Yep, I chumped out when I found out Windy Lake was still frozen. I never used the permit, but Roland did fly my son and I to a good area to hunt deer. My friend, who guides in that area, got a goat there on the same permit. He had a couple clients with the permit so all the trail making, camp site, etc.. was done when it came time for him to shoot a goat after the clients were gone.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default be in shape

did this hunt in 24 hrs fly into 629 get above tree line spike and catch your breath. the goats are never far 3 miles maybe if you go the right direction. make sure roland gives you a good look over so you can see the best routes........

Quote Originally Posted by A_K_H_U_N_T_E_R View Post
    I did that hunt last year. My wife and I flew into an alpine lake. If I had to do it again I would fly into the salt where ever you spot them while flying in. It might be a tougher hunt because of the climb but you should have more goats to look at.
    When we flew out in early October the high lakes were still wide open but the puddles were starting to get a thin layer of ice on them at night.

Excellent post!
    Don't hunt in a given area in 475 unless you pre-scout from the air and see goats in a specific area.

I also speak from experience.