Thread: question on regs?

Default question on regs?

group of guys heading up to do some bou hunting and none of us have ever done this! hopefully this will be the first year of many more to come!

anyway! some of the guys have read and claimed to have called the dnr and think we get anywhere from 2 to 5 tags for the price of one tag!

I was under the impression you get one tag and then can buy more for the same price per each tag!

we will be driving up the haul road! any one that could clear this up for us! just want people to be prepared and have the right budget set up when we get there!

thanx

Default Resident or non-resident?

If you are a resident, you pay your $25 for the hunting license, then you have to get harvest tickets. They are free, but you do get 5 of them.If you are a non-resident, you pay for the hunting license ($85) AND you have to pay for EACH caribou tag ($325). In unit 26B, along the Haul Rd, looks like you would be authorized to take 2 bulls as a non-resident, at $325 each.That said, I do not work for Fish and Game, so make sure you are absolutely clear before heading up. Read the regs CAREFULLY, and talk to Fish and Game if you still have questions.Also, if you plan to bow hunt within the 5 mile Haul Rd corridor, you must have a bowhunter ed certificate.Bottom line: read the regs!!!

Default This could be interesting

First off, I do wish you good luck. It's great to see more people get interested in hunting and wanting to get out there.

The other poster seems to have covered the cost aspect.

If you are not a certified bowhunter, you will have to get at least 5 miles off of the haul road before you can start hunting (remember to measure from the closest point, not necessarily where you parked because the road could curve around. This is going to be probably the hardest 5 miles you have ever hiked. Put it this way, a lot of people make this hike 1 time and refuse to ever do it again.

Default DNR or DFG?

If they are calling DNR they are not talking to Fish and Game. I am guessing that you are just using the acronym you are used to in your state for the game managment unit there.

There are a lot of Haul Road threads on this forum filled with very helpful info and everyone in your party needs to read them so that each one of the party has a clear understanding of what they are getting themselves into.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

AK ray is correct to. that DNR can not and will not give you the scoop on state hunts...

if you plan on doing any federal subsistence hunts you go to DNR

and as a resident Five tags are issued, but remember the limit on the haul road is 2.... just because there are 3 other tags provided you can not use them... you will have to go to another unit that has a limit higher then two in order to use those tags....

they are made in batches of five as some units have a five bou limit... and others have a limit of five a day....

also keep in mind....

these are harvest tickets and may not be used in other hunts that are registration hunts...example

40mile and steece hwy registration hunts. you must register with ADFG and get a different tag... and if ONE tag has been filled off the haul road... you can not fill your limit of one else where....

i know it is probably MORE then you requested. but your question will lead to the ones i answered being asked... each season
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post

if you plan on doing any federal subsistence hunts you go to DNR
    Really? I always thought US Fish and Wildlife Service handled federal subsistence hunts.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    Really? I always thought US Fish and Wildlife Service handled federal subsistence hunts.

they do but the information comes out of the DNR office... and the area biologist, i spent quite a bit of time there last fall.... all the locations and DNR offices and BLM offices are listed in the Fed book... to contact regarding hunts in that area.

they do tend to be unit specific regarding information in there area...

USFW will give you the regs across the board... and Vince Mitchell is the one i like to talk too in anch as he is the guy for the northern reagion... (and i like his name)

but DNR and fed stuff is another thread...

sorry for the Hijack!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Hey guys thanx for the info! as of today i am a certified bowhunter! just got home from the class!

thanks for clearing the tag thing up!

Default Congrats

Congrats on your certification.

And now you can go up north and have an awesome adventure chasing bou with your bow. Have fun and share a photo or two when your done.

The above advice is sound...you'll need to buy a license and two seperate tags at the $325 each ($650).