Thread: Did Ruger stop production of the Model 96??

Default Did Ruger stop production of the Model 96??

Being back in the market for a new small game rifle......I went on the ruger page and they have no lever action? I always liked those lil model 96 rifles with the short throw lever, they reminded me of the savage 99 rifles. Bill Ruger was in big admiration of the 99 (which is prob why the 96 existed). It's sad that Ruger dropped this rifle (if it's the case).....and it just reflects on the fact that Americans have little interest in the lever actions anymore. Everybody is too into the bolt rifle IMO. Maybe Ruger could be a little to blame for the weak demand of their model 96.......outfitting the rifle with a birch stock with no walnut stock option. Oh well.......looks like I'll just have to go with that henry lever rifle. But darn it!.....an 18.5 in. barrreled short throw levered rifle with good open sights and that wonderful rotary mag..........

Think they went back to the semi-auto with the 44 mag round. Seems folks that want a lever want the cowboy look to go with it.

I think they still make them just don't sell a bunch. The reasons I never picked one up is I donít like the looks of the M14/Mimi14 stile stock with a lever on it, the military looking wood just does not look good with the lever to me. I love that it takes a rotary magazine like the 12-22.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Look at it this way, AD:

With a Lever Action, you don't have to carry a round CHAMBERED, yet with a "flick of the wrist", you're ready to go.

Isn't that great???

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Not sure that there's no interest in levers...

They still sell like hotcakes in these parts, BUT, used Marlin's and Winchesters, not the 'modern' one piece stocked lever guns. We've had 88 Winchesters sit and collect dust for months with no interest, but a used 'traditional' lever rarely hangs around more than a week or so.
    I personally think that the 96's biggest competition came from Ruger's 10-22.

Darreld,
    Next time you have a model 88 sitting in the gun rack.......shoot me a PM and I'll be on that 88 like a rat on a cheeto.....BAM!

I have both the Rugers, semi-auto and lever-action 44 magnum.

Aside from what Smitty said, I think the big advantage to the lever gun is it will handle any bullet weight. The Semi-auto was designed strictly for the 240 grain bullet.

I hear from some people that their SA will function with other bullet weights. I have only used 240's in mine and it performed flawlessly.

Ruger is no longer making their lever-action and Winchester is no longer making the model 94! What is the world coming to?

Quote Originally Posted by bustedknee View Post
    I have both the Rugers, semi-auto and lever-action 44 magnum.

Aside from what Smitty said, I think the big advantage to the lever gun is it will handle any bullet weight. The Semi-auto was designed strictly for the 240 grain bullet.

I hear from some people that their SA will function with other bullet weights. I have only used 240's in mine and it performed flawlessly.

Ruger is no longer making their lever-action and Winchester is no longer making the model 94! What is the world coming to?

I feel ur pain, Im not too enthused about the model 94 becoming history. In an attempt to preserve what I already have.....I'm going to strip the worn out finnish on my model 94 and re-finnish the stock and maybe some hand checkering on the forearm and grip too. This 30-30 will print 1.3 inch groups on a good day......with a peep sight. It deserves a new finnish......maybe even new blueing too.......if it can be properly done at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Look at it this way, AD:

With a Lever Action, you don't have to carry a round CHAMBERED, yet with a "flick of the wrist", you're ready to go.

Isn't that great???

Smitty of the North
    Yup thatís great . . . for the next shots at a mob of wild donkeys scurrying up a hill.
    And all ya got to do on a 1911 is slap the slide if your into keeping it in condition 3, I will stick with condition 1 myself.

I and my whole family have packed model 94s chambered for more years than I could count, most of the time horseback working cattle in country so ruff two legged critters canít stand up. In spite of rough treatment that would make the average gun lover sick, countless dings, hard bangs, and some rifles even busted in half at the action the round in the pipe never killed anyone or even went off.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Darreld,
    Next time you have a model 88 sitting in the gun rack.......shoot me a PM and I'll be on that 88 like a rat on a cheeto.....BAM!
    My 88 in .308 is by far my favorite gun. I would love to find one in 358 but I have only found 2 and the owners just smiled and shook their head when I asked how much.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I feel ur pain, Im not too enthused about the model 94 becoming history. In an attempt to preserve what I already have.....I'm going to strip the worn out finnish on my model 94 and re-finnish the stock and maybe some hand checkering on the forearm and grip too. This 30-30 will print 1.3 inch groups on a good day......with a peep sight. It deserves a new finnish......maybe even new blueing too.......if it can be properly done at home.
    Go with rust browning, it's a great look on a 94, more durable than blue, and a good DIY.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

that would be purty darn sharp! I'll have to look into that, as well as an oil rubbed finnish with some handcheckering.

Default How 'bout...

Darreld,
    a nice post-64 Model 100 chambered to .308??? Have one of those available right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    a nice post-64 Model 100 chambered to .308??? Have one of those available right now.
    The wife loves her 100/308 but it was made in 63. If I was not so gun poor (or just poor) right now I would take it off your hands. Want to sell the mag? Thems hard to come by and fit both 88s and 100s.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I think the 100 mags have a little bolt release thingy not need for the 88

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I think the 100 mags have a little bolt release thingy not need for the 88
    I have an 88 and a 100, and 4 mags in front of me now, can't tell any difference at all. In fact I don't even know which mag is the original one for the 88, but 3 of the 4 came from 100s. Dang things are hard to find, the last one I got off gunbroker and got run up to $83 +$10 shipping, had 9 bidders agin me but itís here now! Only found 2 mags without a rifle since I started looking in 1994 and I have both.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I have an 88 and a 100, and 4 mags in front of me now, can't tell any difference at all. In fact I don't even know which mag is the original one for the 88, but 3 of the 4 came from 100s. Dang things are hard to find, the last one I got off gunbroker and got run up to $83 +$10 shipping, had 9 bidders agin me but it’s here now! Only found 2 mags without a rifle since I started looking in 1994 and I have both.
    I am looking at Brownnells catalog right now. They have Winchester 88/100 magazines in stock. The caption reads OEM and staes that these magazines are made on the original factory tooling. My cost is $39.16 for 308 cal. Want me to fetch a couple for you? I stop in there a couple times a week!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I am looking at Brownnells catalog right now. They have Winchester 88/100 magazines in stock. The caption reads OEM and staes that these magazines are made on the original factory tooling. My cost is $39.16 for 308 cal. Want me to fetch a couple for you? I stop in there a couple times a week!
    Thanks for the offer but yesterday when I got the mail there was a Sportsmanís Guide catalog. So last night I was thumbing through it and on page 38 there they were big as life. I went to their website and ordered 4 on the spot so I will have 5 for each gun!

Winchester must have sold off their stock for them to start showing up all at once. I have been looking for years and not finding. I got the first from the 98 Crossroads of the West show in Phoenix from a mag dealer guy. He said he could order me all I wanted, I ordered 6. A month later he calls me and says he could only find one used, no new to be had anyplace.

I should have looked around when I saw them since you found a better price, but Iím just happy to get some after all these years!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona