Thread: Centerpinning? Anyone?

Default Centerpinning? Anyone?

Heard about centerpinning recently with float rods. My curiousity is peaked. If anyone out there does this, would you share here or shoot me a pm. I am mostly curious what type of set up works well in Alaska. Any info at all appreciated as I am brand new to the concept.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Not enough info from me Dan?
    Or you think I'm holding out on the best info until I get paid in beer and food.

Man, I have talked to every rod builder around trying to find a 4 piece. I have this thing for rods that break down in a tidy case for travel. Found a rod perhaps. A 12.5' 7/8 spey custom four piece. Now I have to figure out everything else. Curious what kind of set ups are used most commonly in Alaska. Thinking that might help guide some decisions. It is safe to assume I will be flying up with a centerpin set up. I am still counting on you to teach me how to cast the darn thing. Casting lesson for beer/food. I have not forgot
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Dan
    If you are looking at a custom look at Newzealands CTS rod blanks.
    They are available in up to 6 piece and 16 feet for spey blanks.
    Spey conversions are quite a bit heavier though, and you know it at the end of the day. If you're going for a spey conversion stick to a 6 or 7 wt anything heavier is overkill most of the time. Most of the guy's in AK that are pinning use flys, beads and jigs. Setup is very similar to Washington and BC. BC has some very big fish in very fast flowing high gradient rivers that require stouter tackle. 20 to 30# mainline and giant 30+ gram floats.

Default No kidding!!

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post

They are available in up to 6 piece and 16 feet for spey blanks.

I just got a partial

Wink

I have watched the Europeans do it for years, here on our salmon and rainbows. They use Lllllllonggggg rods and cover the entire hole each and every drift. It is amazingly effective in hooking, but from what I have observed, not much in the way of fun as far as fighting the fish. The rods are too long to play with very much. It looks to me like it is more of a meat gathering operation and that is it. On the rainbows, they simply lift the rod and pull them out of the water and onto the bank. Not much sport in that, but they do like to take them home, so it doesn't matter to them I don't think.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    I just got a partial
    Here's a link:

http://www.ctsfishing.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    I have watched the Europeans do it for years, here on our salmon and rainbows. They use Lllllllonggggg rods and cover the entire hole each and every drift. It is amazingly effective in hooking, but from what I have observed, not much in the way of fun as far as fighting the fish. The rods are too long to play with very much. It looks to me like it is more of a meat gathering operation and that is it. On the rainbows, they simply lift the rod and pull them out of the water and onto the bank. Not much sport in that, but they do like to take them home, so it doesn't matter to them I don't think.
    It's a whole differnet deal how we do it.
    And it's mucho fun.
    We have long rods and cover water but they are much lighter than those European fish harvesters are using.

Drifter,

Thanks for all the help man. I am going to tell the wife it is your fault when she sees the bank statement

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Drifter,

Thanks for all the help man. I am going to tell the wife it is your fault when she sees the bank statement

Hopefully she won't hold it against me.

So could a guy use a noodle rod blank to build a centerpin rod?? Sort of the style they use on the great lakes steelhead fisheries.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    So could a guy use a noodle rod blank to build a centerpin rod?? Sort of the style they use on the great lakes steelhead fisheries.
    Yep, but the Great Lakes style has evolved over the years with the trend (at least on the Canadian side) towards faster, more powerful rods than in to old days. The Loomis GLX float rods are more on the old school side being softer and more noodley. Newer blanks by Batson, Ravem and some new CTS blanks designed for us Canuks are faster and have more power in the bottom end making it easier to wrangle fish faster using stronger leaders. Gone are the days of 2# leaders and whippy rods. Flourocarbon leaders are a major breakthrough in technonogy that enables the use of much stronger leaders to quickly land fish and get them released safely with less stress.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Yep, but the Great Lakes style has evolved over the years with the trend (at least on the Canadian side) towards faster, more powerful rods than in to old days. The Loomis GLX float rods are more on the old school side being softer and more noodley. Newer blanks by Batson, Ravem and some new CTS blanks designed for us Canuks are faster and have more power in the bottom end making it easier to wrangle fish faster using stronger leaders. Gone are the days of 2# leaders and whippy rods. Flourocarbon leaders are a major breakthrough in technonogy that enables the use of much stronger leaders to quickly land fish and get them released safely with less stress.
    Got'cha, yup hook'em ,get them in quick and let'em go in good shape. I gotta meet you this fall and see some of that gear. Hopefully i'll be able to get to fishapalooza for a few days and will be bringing one of the riverboats (drift boat or G3 ) and a bunch bugs for the evening meals. Maybe we can fish together for a day??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Got'cha, yup hook'em ,get them in quick and let'em go in good shape. I gotta meet you this fall and see some of that gear. Hopefully i'll be able to get to fishapalooza for a few days and will be bringing one of the riverboats (drift boat or G3 ) and a bunch bugs for the evening meals. Maybe we can fish together for a day??
    Count on it Steve
    I'll even have a spare out fit or two if you want to be corrupted too.

Be careful Steve, looks to be an expensive hobby