Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Git yer Ox on....

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NorthWest Alaska
    Posts
    3,639

    Default Git yer Ox on....

    The wife and I have had this incredible last coupe weeks together roaming the southern end of Kotzebue Sound JUST The two of us

    Finnaly, for the first time in 20 years we have finnally reached the point where we left the kids with a very responsible oldest son. Of the 7 kids, the 19 son year old moved to the next village, but the oldest son and the 5 daughters are a working ,tight knit crew, and for once, Im glad the oldest son is strict...(~~LOL!!~~poor girls!)

    Wev'e been boating ,mammoth hunting, berry and greens picking, shooting and drying Caribou and getting our camping spots to good use, as well as visiting friends here in Deering that we moved away from last November.....all kid free. I mean we hauled those kids EVERYWHERE.

    Weve been trying to get home with our load and have been waysided because of winds. We have a freezer to take home as well, and we were hoping to go get the kids, leave the freezer and dry meats and hides at home, turn around with the boat and get our family Ox hunt going.
    Buuuuuuuuuuuuuutttt Nooooooooooooooooo......the winds that dry meat so well also make big waves in the Ocean.

    Weve call'd them when we can and often to our joy we find that most the girls are out picking berrys now with greens, and since our departure our oldest has been picking off Caribou by the two and threes as well.........and no one told them to go, they just go.
    So it seems, no one is really at a loss , but we do miss each other much, but man, were having FUN!!!
    Seems were just not fishing much till August.

    The delimma is this; its great weather friday,and we would surly have smooth sailing, all the way, and we miss our kids and home and showers, washing machine and my favorite knifes......
    "BUT"
    Ox hunting is on Saturday and we have three different herds with excellent FAT flatbacked mature Bulls....and two would fiit very nicley butcherd in that 20cf freezer were taking.....and dryed stuff is bulky but very light.....

    Never mind, Ill bum a camera Saturday and give ya the story about the hunt........
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

    "Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

  2. #2
    Member Trapak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    283

    Default

    Thanks for once again sharing your adventures with us Stranger. Seems as though a new chapter is unfolding for you in your life. Hope you have a great hunt and make it back to your family. That's what it's all about!

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NorthWest Alaska
    Posts
    3,639

    Default

    Yep, Trapak, were looking at this as the first of many "Working Vacations"

    Did I mention that Gasoline went DOWN???

    $4.47$ a Gallon now !!!!!! Yeeeeeeeeee Hawwwwwwwwww!!! Whoop whoop whoop!!!

    Since I payed 7.85$ a gallon all year, my outlook is even better.
    The wife mentioned saving $$ at about 44% , and I said "hell no, It's 44% MORE Gas!!!"
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

    "Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

  4. #4
    Member Trapak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    283

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Yep, Trapak, were looking at this as the first of many "Working Vacations"

    Did I mention that Gasoline went DOWN???

    $4.47$ a Gallon now !!!!!! Yeeeeeeeeee Hawwwwwwwwww!!! Whoop whoop whoop!!!

    Since I payed 7.85$ a gallon all year, my outlook is even better.
    The wife mentioned saving $$ at about 44% , and I said "hell no, It's 44% MORE Gas!!!"
    I'd be yee-hawwing and whoop-whooping also, if gas dropped that much! It's ashame that you all have to pay through the nose for something that is so essentail to life, and your lifestyle in the bush.
    Clearly, men and women do see things differently. More country to see and hunt for you Stranger!

  5. #5
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    Sounds like a great second honeymoon and sence you are there and enjoying might as well book a couple extra night. Good folks with good lifestyle = good kids. Enjoy as winter is just around the corner.

  6. #6

    Default Stranger

    Thanks for posting and sharing! Enjoy everything you post!

  7. #7
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    Can't wait to see some pics of the muskox!

  8. #8
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    LOL kid free.... careful on those wifely trips of fun....


    the wife and i were NEARLY there....


    WHOOOPSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! started all over last year


    in fact i almost named her OOPS AWNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

    I sure do understand missing the family...


    my two oldest will be home next week they have been gone since may

    the boy decided to stay with his dad in Idaho this year. and will come home after school gets out down there.

    so we will be down to 4 in the house for the winter. that means only 1 3 /4 moose and 2 1/2 bou this year needed!!!!!!!!!!

    i should have some to trade for fish!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    The wife and I have had this incredible last coupe weeks together roaming the southern end of Kotzebue Sound JUST The two of us

    Finnaly, for the first time in 20 years we have finnally reached the point where we left the kids with a very responsible oldest son. Of the 7 kids, the 19 son year old moved to the next village, but the oldest son and the 5 daughters are a working ,tight knit crew, and for once, Im glad the oldest son is strict...(~~LOL!!~~poor girls!)

    Wev'e been boating ,mammoth hunting, berry and greens picking, shooting and drying Caribou and getting our camping spots to good use, as well as visiting friends here in Deering that we moved away from last November.....all kid free. I mean we hauled those kids EVERYWHERE.

    Weve been trying to get home with our load and have been waysided because of winds. We have a freezer to take home as well, and we were hoping to go get the kids, leave the freezer and dry meats and hides at home, turn around with the boat and get our family Ox hunt going.
    Buuuuuuuuuuuuuutttt Nooooooooooooooooo......the winds that dry meat so well also make big waves in the Ocean.

    Weve call'd them when we can and often to our joy we find that most the girls are out picking berrys now with greens, and since our departure our oldest has been picking off Caribou by the two and threes as well.........and no one told them to go, they just go.
    So it seems, no one is really at a loss , but we do miss each other much, but man, were having FUN!!!
    Seems were just not fishing much till August.

    The delimma is this; its great weather friday,and we would surly have smooth sailing, all the way, and we miss our kids and home and showers, washing machine and my favorite knifes......
    "BUT"
    Ox hunting is on Saturday and we have three different herds with excellent FAT flatbacked mature Bulls....and two would fiit very nicley butcherd in that 20cf freezer were taking.....and dryed stuff is bulky but very light.....

    Never mind, Ill bum a camera Saturday and give ya the story about the hunt........
    What's the bag limit on mammoth siasl??
    Seriously though, sounds like you guys and gals are having a great time harvesting your wares for the coming winter. Really enjoy reading your threads, keep them coming!

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    SW,Ak
    Posts
    182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Yep, Trapak, were looking at this as the first of many "Working Vacations"

    Did I mention that Gasoline went DOWN???

    $4.47$ a Gallon now !!!!!! Yeeeeeeeeee Hawwwwwwwwww!!! Whoop whoop whoop!!!

    Since I payed 7.85$ a gallon all year, my outlook is even better.
    The wife mentioned saving $$ at about 44% , and I said "hell no, It's 44% MORE Gas!!!"
    Been waiting for some hunts from you.
    Wife like the story's and pics.

    Your paying less for gas then we are.
    $5.10 a gal right now.
    $4.96 for marine though.

    Cannot wait for the pic's and story.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NorthWest Alaska
    Posts
    3,639

    Default

    Mammoth season starts about mid July and go's till freeze up, though I found one nested in an ocean side cliff one March, I couldnt get it untill May......

    I have been hunting , though not as much as we like this summer, but the camera situation hasnt been the best ,weve delt with three deaths in the family as well as my small outboard taking a crap and I took a step back from all the critsisms here as well. I post to share , not be analized by stinkys...~~LOL!!~~

    Ive put up pix on others posts, and with the pix Paul was taking while he was here with us for 6 weeks, and just life in general, getting in the way of my deathly persuits.
    One nice thing is that our oldest bay at home is hunting hard with his crew of young fellas, and I hope he keeps it up.

    We havent found much in the way of mammoth,"Yet"( I have seen one good find, a fellas 10 foot 150 lb bull tusk that needs a bit of work, but is SWEET) but in checking our "hotspots" weve come out with bones and bits. Im keeping an eye out, but were just getting started, as the snow cover here is now gone and the permafrost is melted a bit enough to slew chunks off into the oceans surf for slucing.
    Theres not only Mammoth out there, but Saber tooths, shortfaced Bears, giant Beaver, giant Walruse, ancient Ox, buffalo, horses and all that the pliecicene age had to offer.
    Theres also beachcombing to be done for washups ........ Dead Walrus, dead whales and Russian junk come ashore and can be carved up into good stuff.

    Yep, its Mammoth hunting time.Ive been eyeing a couple totally unchecked places and if I had a reliable 10-15 horse outboard, I KNOW theres goods to be found, but the boat Im in now is wayyyyy to big, so I have something to work out and get there.

    Gtting there is half the fun!!!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

    "Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

  12. #12
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    I think most complaints come from those that can drive to Alaska but don't live here.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NorthWest Alaska
    Posts
    3,639

    Default

    All is well.

    A lack of picture taking capabilitys,using an I-pod touch while away from home to get internet and not wanting to post another dead Caribou have been 99% of why Ive been low on the posting pole.~~LOL!!~~There are lots of factors , but a lack of interest in these forums and lack of hunting havent been in the equasion.

    The other 1% were just vicious prejudice e-mails that I just dont open now. Some guys can get real personal and picky........Bad apples in every barrel, for sure, but why post if it aint fun? No problems with that now since May.Some understanding would have fixxed that, but why contenue an argument? The internet is a big place with all kina folks.

    I bummed a camera from the pastor around here today, so Ox are gonna get shot more than with a gun!!~~LOL!!~~

    Im working on the camera situation, but Im dedicated $ wise to finnishing up this month and this trip, but I will not dissapoint
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

    "Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

  14. #14
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    All is well.

    A lack of picture taking capability's,using an I-pod touch while away from home to get INTERNET and not wanting to post another dead Caribou have been 99% of why Ive been low on the posting pole.~~LOL!!~~

    The other 1% were just vicious prejudice e-mails that I just don't open now. Some guys can get real personal and picky........Bad apples in every barrel, for sure, but why post if it ain't fun? No problems with that now since May.Some understanding would have fixed that, but why continue an argument? The INTERNET is a big place with all Kinna folks.

    I bummed a camera from the pastor around here today, so Ox are gonna get shot more than with a gun!!~~LOL!!~~

    I'm working on the camera situation, but I'm dedicated $ wise to finishing up this month and this trip, but I will not disappoint


    you know... there are a few of us on here the would GLADLY answer some of those emails....


    just forward them... i for one would love to educate some tight lipped jealous dill rod the can't see past the zit on their nose!!!!!!!


    life is different here and elswhere..Get over it or go home and stay there with your heads under your pillows.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  15. #15
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    If your shooting those ox with the state permit, there's been some changes in the 23SW regs. Get yourself the federal permits if you can. Less restrictions.
    Anxiously awaiting the pics.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NorthWest Alaska
    Posts
    3,639

    Default

    Martentrapper, and my state permit is good on fed lands and not vice/versy.What advantages do you think I'll gain if I go get Fed permit?
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

    "Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

  17. #17
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    All is well.

    A lack of picture taking capabilitys,using an I-pod touch while away from home to get internet and not wanting to post another dead Caribou have been 99% of why Ive been low on the posting pole.~~LOL!!~~There are lots of factors , but a lack of interest in these forums and lack of hunting havent been in the equasion.

    The other 1% were just vicious prejudice e-mails that I just dont open now. Some guys can get real personal and picky........Bad apples in every barrel, for sure, but why post if it aint fun? No problems with that now since May.Some understanding would have fixxed that, but why contenue an argument? The internet is a big place with all kina folks.

    I bummed a camera from the pastor around here today, so Ox are gonna get shot more than with a gun!!~~LOL!!~~

    Im working on the camera situation, but Im dedicated $ wise to finnishing up this month and this trip, but I will not dissapoint
    SIASL, please forward any messages like that to me or one of the other Mods. We will handle it. The forum rules include the PM system and appropriate measure will be taken!
    There is no tolerance here for people who want to make this a threatening environment.
    I want to say again thank you for all of your wonderful posts on this forum and your contributions are one of the things I seek out and look forward to when logging in!

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NorthWest Alaska
    Posts
    3,639

    Default

    No problem, LuJon.
    The e-mails were to my personal e-mail, and I have yet to figgure how they found me. Not a problem with my PMs on this forum.
    I belive I have this under control, and if its persistant, I'll let you know.

    I think most people here can handle my posts , but let me say again, its all my point of view, and we all have "ours", and some do certainly conflict.I preferr humor and some preferr a fight, which Im just not gonna do, so Ill keep a smile and let it all go.....
    I dont exactly hunt along the modern american hunters way, I just do what I find affordable, ethical and accessable, and work hard at it to make my ends meet.

    The internet allows many opinions and fellows with them abound.

    I cant and wont try to please them all, I just post what I do, and if they need to get personal, they have a long way to come and find me......~~LOL!!~~

    With that note, I shall carry on
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

    "Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

  19. #19
    Member Roland on the River's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,690

    Default strangerinastrangeland

    I also enjoy ALL your post and pictures. You live in my dreams. Appreciate the side humor. If I was in a position to give points I would and maybe 2 so let er rip.

  20. #20
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    The state permit requires the hunter to present the head IN KOTZ within 72 hrs of kill for trophy destruction.
    There may be a "one ox per household" restriction on the state permit. It should say it on the permit if there is.
    No trophy destruction on fed permit and no one per household restriction either.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •