Thread: Hunter Education in the Classroom

Default Hunter Education in the Classroom

We have Archery in the classroom, does anyone else think it's time for Hunter Education in the Classroom? Our children are the future of hunting and fishing, we hear that all the time. Unfortunately, some parents don't have the time during the week to take their children to Hunter Ed classes. Maybe an after school program? I'm sure that there is a way to get this rolling. The best way to keep our children safe is to educate them, and firearms safety through Hunter Ed should be available to them. Anyone have any ideas on how we could get something like this going?

Firearms use and The proper philosiphy for those that own them, the responsiilitys of good citizenship, sex ed, and hunters safty and How to hunt should all be mandatory.

I can let this go by without saying that theres not a minute to lose with YOUR own kids.
    I dont know how best to "get the ball rolling"' but Untill they do, You guys are make sure you show them yourselfs, what you want them to know and start teaching them those things while they are young. Time spent with your kids is more valuble than gold.

Never rely on "The System", but yes, these being taught in school would improve, and make safer, our lives, and our childrens.
    Last edited by strangerinastrangeland; 07-30-2009 at 03:48. Reason: 'cause I can
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I own a lot of guns and I've been asked before how I keep my kids away from them and my answer is "I don't". My kids are involved everytime I clean them, put a new scope on, boresight or shoot. The best way to keep kids from playing with guns is to take the mystery away. Get them involved.

Default It's there

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    We have Archery in the classroom, does anyone else think it's time for Hunter Education in the Classroom? Maybe an after school program? I'm sure that there is a way to get this rolling. The best way to keep our children safe is to educate them, and firearms safety through Hunter Ed should be available to them. Anyone have any ideas on how we could get something like this going?
    Not sure where your located but it is there in some of the middle schools in the Anchorage area. The school I teach at has a Wilderness Studies class. One component of the course is hunter's ed. After classroom lessons and taking the test, kids go do the shooting portion at the range on a Saturday. I know it is also in some other ASD middle schools but not sure which ones. Funny thing is our administrators shot down the archery thing.

I believe Jerry Soukup is the ADFG person to contact. He's the program coordinator of hunter information and training. It requires someone in the school who wants to get certified as an instructor and teach it though.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

My son just started at a new school in Wasilla, 2 months this winter will be archery...It was SOOOO easy to convince the ole lady I needed to get back into it.

I agree, hunter ed all the way int he classroom. Make it an elective, then at the end of the semester they get their card.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default great idea

I'm an elementary teacher and have taught it in my class. I think it's a great idea, especially for Alaska's kids, because so many house holds have guns in them. I agree with AKHunterNP and do the same with my kids. It's the kids who don't come from these types of families that you have to worry about. They are curious and don't know the rules of safety. This is when "accidents" happen. The problem is that we have so many regulations now... I have to teach so many minutes of reading, math, etc each week, that it is hard to find the time to squeez it in. Great thought though, and I'll try to mention gun safety more often in my classroom. You have to be careful of what you teach and who's kid you're teaching it to. It's pretty political sometimes.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by goaty View Post
    I'm an elementary teacher and have taught it in my class. I think it's a great idea, especially for Alaska's kids, because so many house holds have guns in them. I agree with AKHunterNP and do the same with my kids. It's the kids who don't come from these types of families that you have to worry about. They are curious and don't know the rules of safety. This is when "accidents" happen. The problem is that we have so many regulations now... I have to teach so many minutes of reading, math, etc each week, that it is hard to find the time to squeez it in. Great thought though, and I'll try to mention gun safety more often in my classroom. You have to be careful of what you teach and who's kid you're teaching it to. It's pretty political sometimes.

i agree... and there is one other point some kids SHOULD NOT know how a gun works..... not yet... the issues they carry to school from the home can lead to some serious issues later on. it is a fine line of education them and being aware that " this one" may turn it against you....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default oldasdirt

If you are in Interior Alaska, Contact Bob Hunter at ADF&G on College Road in Fairbanks. He is the Hunter Information and Training Coordinator for the Interior Regions. Classes are held in some schools as an after school activity.

HE Classes can be held in school during regular hours with the assistance of a willing teacher/principal, and the FNSB Schools administration.

Tri Valley School District at Anderson does that.

All it takes is some interested and concerned parents to get the ball rolling. If the teacher doesn't want to personally teach the class, there are Certified Voluntteer Instructors who will go into the school and teach the classes in that teachers classroom.

I'm a shop teacher and starting a new job in Tuluksak this fall. It has definetly crossed my mind to bring it to the school if there isn't a program allready in place. I'm not 100% sure if there will be a need or not, I'm sure I'll be able to gather more when I get there.

How do you come about becomming a hunter safety instructor?

Default Certification Process

Quote Originally Posted by barrelroll View Post
    How do you come about becomming a hunter safety instructor?
    I looked into it a couple years ago. The guy that teaches the hunters ed. class in our school will be retiring in a few years and taking over the course has crossed my mind. Here's the basic process of becoming a certified instructor.

1. Fill out an application form
    2. Get an Interested Person Report and a Fish and Wildlife Violation Report from your local state troopers office.
    3. Get a photocopy of your own hunters ed. certification card
    4. Attend an instructor Policy Training (3 hrs)
    5. Attend an Instructor Class Orientation (6-8 hrs)

Here's some contacts for the Hunter Information and Training Offices as of two years ago.

Anchorage (Statewide Office): Lee Rogers (907) 267-2373
    lee_rogers@fishgame.state.ak.us

Fairbanks (Region III Office): Bob Hunter (907) 459-7375
    bob_hunter@fishgame.state.ak.us

Juneau (Region III Office): Frank Zmunda (907) 586-4101
    frank_zmunda@fishgame.state.ak.us

I have a copy of 3 documents.
    1. Instructor Application Letter
    2. Application Procedure
    3. Instructor Application Form

If anyone is interested in them, PM me with an email address.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Hunter Ed was a mandatory class for everyone at my junior high school in Wyoming, and I know it was the same in other towns. When I took it (for the second time - I started hunting years before then) it was one of the PE units and took a couple of weeks maybe

I thought it was a great idea then, and I think it's a great idea now. Not only is it good to expose kids to firearm handling and safety, but I think it's a great way to introduce people to hunting (especially those who haven't been exposed to it or may be opposed to it) in a positive light that puts an emphasis on responsibility, safety and ethics.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Default Juneau's been doing it for years

Both middle schools in Juneau have an outdoor education component that includes a full traditional Hunter Ed class. It's why I became a volunteer instructor.

If you want to know about getting it started in your local school, Frank Zmuda can help a lot. He can also put you in touch with Tom Milliron, the principal at one of the Juneau schools who jumped through the necessary hoops to get it rolling.