Thread: Thoughts on a new to me old caliber

Default Thoughts on a new to me old caliber

So I have been bitten by the bug again and have a burning desire to buy a new old rifle. I have been smitten buy them cute little Husqvarna sporters, chambered for the 9.3x57 cartridge. I think that they are great looking rifles with their thin short forends and rounded pistol grips, thats just my opinion and its the same one that says my Drothaar dog is pretty, but now I feel I have to have one.

Anyway I wanted to know if any of you guys had owned, shot, or loaded for one. I'm not looking for super good ballistics, they just aren't to be had in this package, and thats OK. I just think that they are neat little guns and that one of them might just make me a cool "Poor man's euro rifle", since a Blaser or something like that is not going to be in my budget anytime soon.

From what I can gather and understand it is a mild cartridge with slightly better than 35REM ballistics. The 35 is one of my favorites so I think that it would fit right in around my place. And IMO one of those short light rifles might be great black bear medicine on the baits next spring.

So lets here what you think and if I'm way off base anywhere in my assumptions.

Kid not nice, boss tell him he crazy so he seek vindication on the net

9.3x62....get the 98 and punch it out. Remember all them cute little Huskies be 96s and cock on closing.

I'll sell you a 6.5x55, make a man out of you

Or grab that Parker Hale I got somewhere and rebarrel it.

I think it would be a fine round, the only downside would be how easy is it to actually get your hands on the lighter 9.3 pills?

One of the few guns I regret not getting was a Mannlicher in 9X56. It was a superb gun, but overpriced considering the cracked stock and bubba smith attempt at d/t for a sidemount scope.

If you find the right gun at the right price, no doubt it will be a very effective hunting rifle at reasonable ranges.

I know Norma sells the ammo in a couple of loads but don't know how easy they are to find. I think you push a 285 gr. bullet at 2,000fps which sounds good to me

Yes they are great little rifles but all are not on the 96 frame. I had two Huskys that I bought as a matched set from the same table at a gunshow in Tulsa, Oklahoma. One was in this 9.3x57 and an 8x60 with a .318 groove diameter. I kept them for a number of years and shot them a lot. The 9.3 was mostly loaded with the 232 Vulcan bullet by Norma and I think it falls about in between the 35 Rem and 35 Whelen, more like a light 358 Winny. I sold the two so I could buy a Model 54 Winchester in 9x57 which shoots .358 bullets. That is a true 35 and has more bullets available appropriate in weight for it. The 9.3x57 was considered under powered, I suppose for big hogs in Europe, so the 62 mm length was developed and we all know the history of that one. I do miss those old huskys and have owned several since then. I bought a very nice M98 Husky a couple years ago in 8x57 with intent of taking the action and making a wildcat on the action....I couldn't do it, I just couldn't demolish that fine old original rifle so I gave it away to a kid who would use it, as is, for a moose rifle. Now I have to keep him in ammo but he's enjoying the rifle and using it as it should be used. Love those Huskys.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Yes they are great little rifles but all are not on the 96 frame.

Yes, Murph, I know But you arent going to punch out a 96 to the 62 are ya? Thats why I told the kid to get the 98 even though they arent quite as cute as those little, trim 96 sporters

Most of them are hosed anyway, I dug through racks of them at Sarco a few years ago