Thread: New separate firearms forum

Default New separate firearms forum

Anyone else really NOT like having a separate firearms forum from the Swap and Sell forum. Major pain in the butt having to switch back and forth. Don't know what the problem was with having everything in one location. The "Firearms" label was plenty good. What are they going to have next? How else are they going to break things down?
    Dan

"May the gods keep the wolves in the hills and the women in our beds!" Menalaus -Troy

Thumbs down agreed

yea not digging the 2 stop shopping now. Maybe I just need to get used to it.

Default What?

Are you guys serious? There's nothing to "switch" when going from one subforum to another unless clicking the link at the top of the page is considered a painful task.

It's no differnet than reading the fishing forum, then the dipnetting forum, then the hunting, forum, etc. I'd bet that most folks read through a half dozen or more different subforums on each visit. Separation of topics into the various folders is one of the key bits that makes reading the AOD forums so easy to do. I say break down the topics where ever they can be. It's much easier to access the info you're looking for this way.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

JOAT, I have to disagree a bit with ya. Depending on the topic and where you put it, the thread might die a slow death because there just isn't enough traffic in that sub-sub-sub section of the forum to generate enough interest/discussion to merit any worth. I would say a big majority of the folks on here are in hunting/fishing/powerboating/shooting/SnS/Global discussion. That is only 6 sections of our 60! Also, this comprises ~285,000 posts of our just under half a million. This means over half of our posts are in just 10% of our sub-sections...I'm just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    JOAT, I have to disagree a bit with ya. Depending on
    OK... I guess?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i agree we are getting rather spread out...

bear hunting has its own forum... why not moose and bou and sheep and goat...

i like going through the hunting forum and seeing them all...

of course i tend to use the new post tab a lot now... but if i miss it it will come back later i suppose...

how come we don't have a garden forum, / turnip/ broccoli/ potato sub forums? we went for 38 to 793 forums over night....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    OK... I guess?
    Yeah, sorry....fat fingered it before I was finished....she's up now

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i agree we are getting rather spread out...

bear hunting has its own forum... why not moose and bou and sheep and goat...
    BINGO! This place is definitely cyclical and naturally so depending on the time of year. Of course you're going to have more bear baiting threads in the spring time but the other 8-9 months of the year, that sub-section will be rather dead.

On the other hand, having more sub-sections means more advertising space, and that isn't a bad thing either, I guess.

Default Honest chance...

Yeah, gave it an honest chance and still not digging the separate forums. Feeling WAY to spread out. If I'm looking for things for sale, I'm looking for all things for sale. Don't want to have to go to every individual forum to find each individual thing. Seems to me that's what the SEACH option is for.
    Dan

"May the gods keep the wolves in the hills and the women in our beds!" Menalaus -Troy

Ya I like the ammo dump then I blinked and theres discounted forums along with many more, and all that red print, whats up with all that
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Answer this question -

is it more difficult for you to switch forums with a single mouse click -

or -

for me to read and ignore 80% (or likely higher %) of the posts in the swap and sell since I don't have the money for any guns or ammo?

To me the answer seems obvious and the new firearm/ammo swap and sell forums were long overdue. I love the change.

Quote Originally Posted by akjw7 View Post
    Answer this question -

is it more difficult for you to switch forums with a single mouse click -

or -

for me to read and ignore 80% (or likely higher %) of the posts in the swap and sell since I don't have the money for any guns or ammo?

To me the answer seems obvious and the new firearm/ammo swap and sell forums were long overdue. I love the change.

Here, here!!!
    Weeding through all the firearms ads to get to the non-firearms for sale stuff is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more work than single clicking into a forum just for firearms.

1 for sale forum for boats
    1 for sale forum for ATV's
    1 for sale forum for back packs
    1 for sale forum for sleeping bags
    1 for sale forum for.....
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I agree that you can take it too far - there is a point of diminishing returns with breaking out sub forums. But I think if you grouped posts for the last year into your categories and put them in a pie chart you'd see right away that firearms/ammo were the vast majority of the posts in the swap and sell.

Breaking that one huge group out from the remainder is a far cry from the sleeping bag swap and sell forum that you describe. I would not vote to further break down the swap n sell forum beyond the firearms/ammo already done.

Even though I love the firearms/ammo swap n sell being broken out to their own forum I'm not a fan of the same treatment to the rest of the forums. The hunting forum has, I think, been overdone...too many sub forums.