Thread: Satillite phone time

Default Satillite phone time

Who has the best deal on buying sat phone time? I only use mine during hunting season so I do not want to buy a lot of time. Does anyone offer minutes that do not expire? Thanks.

Default Along the same lines...

What does one cost? Are the contracts/plans similar to cellular phone plans?

Default Globalstar

I have Globalstar with a 600 minute per year plan for $600. With the new satellite up over Wasilla it works better than before, but still has lots of dropped calls. But, I already had a couple phones left over from a project a couple years ago and was still way cheaper than the Iridium. By the way, I have a couple extra Globalstar phones--PM me if anyone is interested..kr

my iridum phone i have a little card that clips in teh back and i just buy prepaid minutes and only use it during my guide season, seems to work great, its about 150 a minute i think.

Brwnbr, where did you buy the card? That sounds like what I want. I don't mind the cost I just don't really want the minutes to expire in a month or two.

Default cards

Got the iridium. My dad picked up a card from surveyors exchange I believe. I think it was 200 min for 6 months, but you don't lose your minutes if you don't use. I will have to read a bit more on them. Pretty easy, put the card in and dial away! I take my phone all over the place, even to Africa and it works like a charm!

Northway I talked to surveyor's today and they said all of their plans expired after a certain time limit.

Default Minutes

If I am right.I think that if you buy minutes for this year and before the year ends.You go buy some more minutes you can keep the previous ones you had from the year before.I like mine and think it is a great safty tool.It was hard to break down to buy it .It would pay for it self many times over if you really needed help.

I bought a used one for $200. The one that I rented last September for 2 weeks cost me $175. If I can get minutes that don't expire I'll be real happy.

Default minutes

I think Trapperschmidt is right, if you buy before you expire, then you keep the unused ones. I have my phone with me all the time, so will make sure i burn the minutes if I am going to lose them.

Default Sat Phone Time

The best deal going for Iridium is the 500 minute prepaid. It is good for a year and is about $650. As long as you reup each year, the minutes roll over. You can only have two year's worth of minutes though. If you get an "emergency plan" you have no minutes and the $35 or so cost per month adds up. For the 500 minute sim, you can use it when you really need it and have a few minutes left over for checking in with whoever. Look at Ebay. They have the lowest prices and will activate it for you. If you keep a CC on file with any of the vendors, and run low on time, you can add to it with a Phone call. I automatically reup every year at Labor Day, so that helps me keep up with when it is due.

I've found a place in Anchorage that will activate my phone with 1 days notice and deactivate with the same notice. He charges only a very small activation fee and something like $1.50 a day and $1.30 a minute if used. Since I only use the phone for emergencies on hunting trips this works best/cheapest for me.

Default outfittersatellite

I bought my phone from these guys www.outfittersatellite.com, new Iridium $1400 dollars, $37.50 a month service, $1.00 per minute if I use it. Comes out of my credit card, never send a bill. Only use it when I need it, never had a place I could not get through.

I bought a Globalstar used off of ebay about 1.5 years ago. The phone was about $175. The plan I have is $40 a month just for activation. Then you pay per minute if you use it. I use mine a lot while hunting. Just to call the wife and let her know that everything is ok every couple of days is well worth the cost.

The only problem I have with the phone is north of Tok it can be hard to talk for long periods of time because of the dropped calls. I have used both Iridium and Globalstar. If I had to do it again I would by and Iridium.

I bought my own phone and just got the minutes, the minutes have gotten cheaper and they are at a dollar a minute, you don't have to worry about minutes expiring, i had mine a little over a year, used it in Iraq for six months and thru hunting season this year 'til I ran out, and that was 500 minutes...satphonestore.com....CK

Default Sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Casper50 View Post
    I've found a place in Anchorage that will activate my phone with 1 days notice and deactivate with the same notice. He charges only a very small activation fee and something like $1.50 a day and $1.30 a minute if used. Since I only use the phone for emergencies on hunting trips this works best/cheapest for me.
    Sound great Casper, but how about sharing the rest of the info with everyone. Name Address and Number would be greatly appreciated.

It's through Surveyors Exchange. I can't find the paperwork right now but the number to the guy that set it up is 351-3649