Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Something needs to change

Default Something needs to change

The topic this morning on the Kenai radio station call in program was dip netting. Almost every caller was upset with the current way the dip net fishery is managed (or not managed). Crowds, litter, non-residents taking fish, destruction of the grasses, wasted fish, litter and unsanitary conditions were complaints most often expressed. I find myself in agreement and action needs to be taken before this "fishery" gets totally out of control.

One sensible suggestion was made and in my opinion need to be explored or implemented ASAP.

Limit the number of users to a sensible level. Implementation of a tier 2 type permit to say 10,000. Eligibility could be based upon financial need, traditional use of the fishery, senior citizens, residential proximity.
    This system already exists for rural hunting preference and could easily be implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by tom1tom View Post
    Eligibility could be based upon financial need, traditional use of the fishery, senior citizens, residential proximity.
    classifying folks never has a happy ending....how much money a guy makes shouldn't have anything to do with it..nor should age, where you live relative to the river, etc.....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I'd be quite content if the management plan was tweaked as to allow one to get their allotted amount anywhere on the Kenai with a rod and reel....It would spread out some of the congestion, and I for one would much prefer flyrod fishing for my dip net limit somewhere on the Upper Kenai....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Just charge ten dollars for a permit like we already pay for king salmon. Use the proceeds to fund overtime for law enforcement and to fund additional porta-potties.

Get a couple of brown shirts walking the beach at all times and things will be a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    I'd be quite content if the management plan was tweaked as to allow one to get their allotted amount anywhere on the Kenai with a rod and reel....It would spread out some of the congestion, and I for one would much prefer flyrod fishing for my dip net limit somewhere on the Upper Kenai....
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcticwildman View Post
    Just charge ten dollars for a permit like we already pay for king salmon. Use the proceeds to fund overtime for law enforcement and to fund additional porta-potties.

Get a couple of brown shirts walking the beach at all times and things will be a lot better.
    2 good ideas there....I must say though Hippie, dipping from a boat is right up there with catching 'em on a rod.......
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    2 good ideas there....I must say though Hippie, dipping from a boat is right up there with catching 'em on a rod.......
    I'm sure it is tjm, but I do so prefer some back channel on the Upper River, packed full of sockeye...And NOT packed full of people....Lot to be said for a small raft sometimes...
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    I'm sure it is tjm, but I do so prefer some back channel on the Upper River, packed full of sockeye...And NOT packed full of people....Lot to be said for a small raft sometimes...
    how about using a dipnet on that little back channel.....best of both worlds....lol
    pull my finger....

how about using a dipnet on that little back channel.....best of both worlds....lol
    <grin>

Or you could always go for light tackle, as we advised Curt "over there"...Ya may wanna check that thread out....I crack myself up sometimes....

Forget about funds for additional porta potties.... build something that has plumbing and can flush. Those porta potties are just nasty!!!!!

classifying folks never has a happy ending....how much money a guy makes shouldn't have anything to do with it..nor should age, where you live relative to the river, etc.....

Agreed!!!!

Before we start charging and changing things ,how about fish and game showing up !! What a concept doing what there payed for. How about the city of Kenai showing where all the cash is going ? not likely, look around at all the people and boats, parking by the 12 hr tab can I say cash cow CaChing.Yea like we need another tier system the one we have now is still broke

Default my .02

The sad state of affairs of the human race is that some people are just slobby. They have no regard for anyone else and are only concerned with their own good time.

With regards to dipnetting, limiting access and charging more are not going to change the nature of slobby people.

Someone is always going to have to clean up after them.

I'm all in favor of the proper authorities patrolling the dipnetting areas with enough personnel to make a difference. We talked elsewhere about having the proper authorities ensuring boat dippers are lawfully and safely using the river, and in like fashion the beaches and riverbanks should have a constant and visible enforcement presence.

In the end, though, someone is still going to have to go in there and clean up after the slobs.

As much as we all have better things to do, it would be excellent PR for the responsible dippers to go down there and show that we care for the resource and clean up after the season is over.

As much as people are griping on the radio, Kenai and Soldotna businesses need the dipnetters as much as we need the salmon. If we work with the appropriate agencies, we can make a difference in not only the condition of the resource, but the perception of us by the public as well.

~tr

Thumbs up A clean-up day will be in the works

I was going to plan a clean-up day for SCADA members and the public at large this year. But... I had recent shoulder surgery and could not get around to organize as I wanted to. I will be doing this next year with maybe a cash donation to the boys and girls club so they could join in and help pick up trash too. Anyone on these threads willing to sigh up now, Send me a pm and I will put you on a contact list. Ken SCADA

Maybe its just a knee jerk. There was an unprecedented turn out on the penn this year. A shock for the locals. Not sure if more people are dipping now or if its because Chitina has been flooding and fishing was closed in the Mat-Su. I for one did an extra trip to the Kenai because I haven't gone to Chitina this year.

I bet at least one local is happy. Mike sold out on dip nets.

Best idea yet

Quote Originally Posted by tom1tom View Post
    Limit the number of users to a sensible level.[/COLOR][/B] Implementation of a tier 2 type permit to say 10,000. Eligibility could be based upon financial need, traditional use of the fishery, senior citizens, residential proximity.
    Dipnetting isnt rural, it's right in front of us in what is many folk sback yard.

Should we execute the same principles against hunting areas?

I agree that this year was a huge cluster****. I had eyes inthe back of my head when I wa son the boat, but thats just a lack of common sense on other boaters' part. Dipnetting to Kenai is HUGE. Can you even imagine the revenue generated by the locals during just a short season?

I think they should implement a fee for the permit. We pay for a permit to hunt certain areas do we not? I paid F&G my yearly $45. I'd pay $25 for my dipnet permit. Becauase when I limit out, street value for what I would have paid for my 45 reds is over $1000. $50 in gas, $100 in beer, $50 to camp and launch the boat..yeah..I made out like a bandit.

Not to mention the fact that your susbsistence reds will now replace the $3-5/lb chicken, beef and pork you would have bought at the store, but instead you chewin on freshly caught reds.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

10 bucks? make it worth the catch...

how many kings can you keep for $10.00?

$50-$100? for 60 -85 reds people catch down there? now that would make a difference. on the accomodations... because for SOME reason... every one seeks to thing the state is responsible to provide Facility's and clean up behind them... but nobody wants to pay more then 10 bucks?

make the tag affordable but make it effective also....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Dipnetting isnt rural, it's right in front of us in what is many folk sback yard.

Should we execute the same principles against hunting areas?

I agree that this year was a huge cluster****. I had eyes inthe back of my head when I wa son the boat, but thats just a lack of common sense on other boaters' part. Dipnetting to Kenai is HUGE. Can you even imagine the revenue generated by the locals during just a short season?

I think they should implement a fee for the permit. We pay for a permit to hunt certain areas do we not? I paid F&G my yearly $45. I'd pay $25 for my dipnet permit. Becauase when I limit out, street value for what I would have paid for my 45 reds is over $1000. $50 in gas, $100 in beer, $50 to camp and launch the boat..yeah..I made out like a bandit.

complicated with closures every where else in the state this year i am sure..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I would go along with paying a fee, but that doesnt mean it would make a difference. I agree with more brown shirts need to maybe make thier presents known out there on the beaches. Had some guy dippin next to me this year and his wife walked out in the water and asked him if he was sure that the Cooper river permits were ok to use on the Kenai.

Dippin was a cluster this year for sure, worst that i have ever seen it. But put the temptation of free food out there and any one that can buy or construct a net big enough will be out there.

Default To start with...

1- Don't make it a limited permit drawing. That's stupid as there is plenty of resource available for everyone who wants some. The hunting drawing is due to limited resource, not people being morons or littering.

2- The laws are already in place. They can fine for breaking the permit rules, littering, waste, walking on the grass, etc. etc. No fine will ever be levied unless an enforecement officer writes a ticket. There are no enforcement officers. This is 99% of the problem. Cops on the beaches AND on the water for 100% of the time that dipping is open. WRITE TICKETS!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast