Thread: relocation boat ?

Default relocation boat ?

Moving to the great state of Alaska in a few(About 6-8)months. I have an 06 Bass Tracker 17.5 ft mod V hull Tournament series with a 50 horse Mercury 2 stroke. Is this gonna be usable up there or should I sell it here where I know is a good market? I will definately be on the water whenever I can. Can you still use ferry on way up with a boat trailer?

Quote Originally Posted by bigreddog View Post
    Moving to the great state of Alaska in a few(About 6-8)months. I have an 06 Bass Tracker 17.5 ft mod V hull Tournament series with a 50 horse Mercury 2 stroke. Is this gonna be usable up there or should I sell it here where I know is a good market? I will definately be on the water whenever I can. Can you still use ferry on way up with a boat trailer?
    Had one and it did ok but is not realistic for offshore fishing...keep in mind out of most of our ports it tends to blow in the afternoon and it will soon be underpowered and too low for 3-5' seas. Mine worked good for Seward in the morning but had to be off the water by 3pm or it was too rough. In Whittier on the best days it did ok but PWells Passage at the end of Passage Canal is a washing machine alot of the time and would be more than the boat is designed for. The v-hull is too much draft for most rivers and the 2-stroke isn`t legal on the Kenai River. I had a 4-stroke on mine and it would draft too much water on the middle Kenai and cost me a couple props.

As for selling it, you would have a hard time getting rid of it here not to mention the expense of bringing it here.

No knowledge on the ferry part.

I am not sure that you would want to bring it up here, if it is the type i am thinking. If you plan on just taking it to the lakes then it would be fine but if you plan on taking it to the salt that is another problem.
    Those boats are not really made to take a lot of waves and you can get caught in them out there.

If you have a good market there then save the room and buy another up here in the winter when they are cheap.
    Just a thought.
    Good luck

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Default Where?

It really depends where in the state you are planning on living. It might be great in some areas and worthless in others. Also depends what kind of fishing you plan on doing. In some areas of SE you can use a boat like that for many long runs because it is so protected. So, some more information would help. Good luck, and remember any boat is better than no boat at all.

Bass boat wouldnt be very consusive to the surrounding area, nor would the 2-stroke motor (depending on where you lived and wanted to fish). Is yer 2stroke DFI? The kenai has a cap of 50hp and if it's a 2-stroke it must be DFI. Personally I would sell, because if you bring it up, and not like it..you wont find a big market for them.

I can see them outlawing 2-strokes on many more rivers, I see more 2-stroke traffic on Mat-Su river drainages than I see 4stroke on the Kenai. But anywho.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Thanks for the replies. I dont know how much salt water I would be in. My home is in Gulf Shores, AL and the boat has never been in salt water. I am learning though that the best fishing up there seems to be in salt water. Im not sure where I will be. By trade Im a Trooper/ Law Enforcement. Im currently in Iraq, but will be up there the first week of Sept to meet with a couple agencies, check out the diff areas, do a lil fishing, and just get some fresh air. Maybe I will just trade it in on a new atv. Need a new one anyway. When I get there I will just buy a boat built for the area and kind of fishing I do(Which is any kind). Till then, I will just stand on the boat ramp and look pitiful till someone takes me with them. Thanks for the advice,
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by bigreddog View Post
    Till then, I will just stand on the boat ramp and look pitiful till someone takes me with them.
    Just stand up top, the locals crowd the launch dock with their bad etiquette as it is.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Im sure I wont be able to take too much of just standing around watching everybody haul fish in. I will go buy one pretty fast. Im counting down the days now til I get to leave here and come check things out and meet some real people.

I get back from overseas the first week in Sept give me a shout i will take you out fishing no worries.
    Regards T

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

If you can find a jet unit for your mercury, it would be 35 at the jet. You could use it as a Little Su boat and fish the slow moving rivers. If you do, get a transom lift for it and keep your lower unit and use it for lakes. Then when you can afford it, you can get an ocean boat. That way, you have versatility. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    I get back from overseas the first week in Sept give me a shout i will take you out fishing no worries.
    Regards T
    I will, thanks.