Thread: Marlin .450

Default Marlin .450

I have the opportunity to pick up a stainless Marlin 1895 chambered in Marlin .450. Anybody have one ? What do you fellas think about the cartridge compared to the 45/70?

There basically is no difference between the two rifles Ė that said, you will find the 45/70 more versatile as factory ammunition is easier to find off the beaten path, the 45/70 factory ammo goes from very mild to wild while the 450 is a little more on the stout side with no mild factory loads offered and the brass is much easier to find and a little cheaper to boot. If you reload none of the above will probably matter to you, so if the 450 is priced right you wonít regret it, if you purchase it. If you donít reload and donít plan on getting into reloading, the 45/70 is probably the better choice Ė I reload and have the 450.

Do a search here and you will find lots of threads on it. JMHO but the 45/70 is a better deal all around.

450 Marlin is a bit more power with factory ammo than 45-70 due to the number of old weak guns out there in 45-70. They are a dead heat for top end hand loads and high power semi custom loads. I would pick 45-70 myself due to ammo choice, ammo availability, and history behind the round.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Had one. Sold it and bought the same rifle in 45-70 The 450 is a ok round but whatever it can do the 45-70 can do better.
    Tennessee