Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose Hunting Techniques SEP 1-10

Default Moose Hunting Techniques SEP 1-10

What do you differnt in hunting moose in pre-rut VS in the rut, does anyone do anything unique or special they feel makes the differnce in being sucessfull or not.

Two things come to mind.....

The first difference I know between pre-rut Moose and Rutting Moose is that the rutting bulls become incredibly stupid and nearly suicidal to "git it on" so that my 4 year old daughter actually has a chance at bagging a bull out solo.

The second and more important is that a pre rut Moose is OK eating and a rutting Moose's meat isnt worth my dog lifting his leg over, being about a ton of wasted food.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Do you call differntly though, do you use a certain kind urine....being bull or estrous?

I always hunt "pre-rut". In fact our camp is usually headed back to town by the 4th. Harder hunting but better eating and the moose have seen less pressure.

Only "calling" is the occasional grunt when I'm imitating a moose during a stalk. They will spend much of the day bedded down in the early season and the most productive method in my area is spot and stalk mixed with alot of patience. Lots and lots of glassing. Any more noise than that is mostly a waste of time, at least in our area.

Not sure what the heck you would use moose urine for.... Who would be the brave soul that collects it?

Yk

I still hunt in thick woods and swamps but i know my area and know where the moose are likely to be. Our season wraps up as rut starts so it is pretty much all pre-rut for me. I will say that I don't use cow calls as a normal hunt method, but I will pull it out if a bull is leaving the area. It didn't work 6 out of 7 tries last year. On the 1 it did it turned the bull who was spotted at 65 yards in failing light. He was nearing 140 and going back into the deep woods. He paused then turned around and came back to w/ in 20 yards staring at me. I was then able to verify that he was in fact a 44" bull w/ 2 brow tines on both sides... bummer

If i was hunting up north my methods would likely be entirely different! I have a buddy that hunts the interior and if I ever get up there w/ him he will have a lot to teach me on that front.

Two kinds of noise is about all I use, if Moose hunting has befallen me;

First is the Moose version of "Sup?".....but in Moose its; "WHAA!!" WHAA" WHAA!" in a "whooping" kinda way.

The second is to get on a bluff bank above a river island (theres qite a few like that up this way)and crank off a shot into the air and see what moves.

Urine?

Quick and dirty,pre rut to me is the best,bulls are moving and sometimes pretty aggressive,just remember not to over call,be the little guy,don't give them any more information then needed,meaning a moose can pin point you from along ways off,the more you give him the more he is likely to know your not the real deal....bottom line moose are not stupid like most people think,there are times when your going to call me a liar but for the most part there pretty smart,remember they live 24 7 in the woods. Late rut your going to go with more cow calls,most bulls have got there cows and are pretty happy, so getting a bull away from his love nest might be pretty tough. I can tell you that once you have experinced rutting mosse you'll be hooked for life...... have fun and be safe
    I ♥ Big Sheep

Thumbs up

Spot and Stalk. Get to a vantage point with good optics and you will do fine. When they bed down, make your move.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Where are you hunting? I don't stand a chance in my south central area calling before the 15th. Up north of Tok I called a bull in on Sep 11th and he came in like a freight train. I used a series of cow calls and he grunted right away. From that point on I grunted and raked a tree. He came in to 35 yards and got himself kilt
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

AkDoug:

A while back I was hunting in your back yard on Sept. 2nd and called in a big bull at full run until my “X” hunting partner yells “HERE COMES A BULL”.

If you find a bull’s “sweet spot” when calling, you will have a thrill of a life time.

Learning its sweet spot is a combination of knowing what should work, what may work and listing to what the bull is saying to you. Yes moose do talk and it really helped to know that their saying, if you want to call them in.

Sitting on a knob or hilltop looking down into heavily wooded river corridors is another good way to find bulls. I'm usually up at first light and glassing, i've seen more moose this way then any other method. Calling bulls is my favorite method though, it's much more personal and is an exciting way to hunt them.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    AkDoug:

A while back I was hunting in your back yard on Sept. 2nd and called in a big bull at full run until my “X” hunting partner yells “HERE COMES A BULL”.

If you find a bull’s “sweet spot” when calling, you will have a thrill of a life time.

Learning its sweet spot is a combination of knowing what should work, what may work and listing to what the bull is saying to you. Yes moose do talk and it really helped to know that their saying, if you want to call them in.

OH yeah... aint it great hyunting there while doug is gone? heck i got two there over the years....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks for the info, I have been doing some reading and have noticed that some people are saying that calling in pre-rut is effective but it may be several hours or more before the bull comes to check you out, any thoughts?

Ive called them pre-rut into crossing the river to my side.
    Seems like they want to get in with the ladys and sniff 'em up.We call 'em for fun and they will figure us out and mosy off after a minute or two..

Also had rutting bulls show up to a riverside Caribou camp, fire blazing, radio wafting...... ready to stomp us out, because one of my kids called em over These guys are looking to Take/defend the ladys

Theres not alot of hunting pressure here either, so the Moose are relitivly "uneducated"~~LOL!!~~

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by TX Alaskan View Post
    Thanks for the info, I have been doing some reading and have noticed that some people are saying that calling in pre-rut is effective but it may be several hours or more before the bull comes to check you out, any thoughts?

gety some good calling DVDs... most will give you early and late instructions...

love thunder and bulls is a great one...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Is there anywhere local to pick up Love Thunder and Bull 2?

Last year I had a chance to watch moose respond to calling. It was opening day...Aug 20. I was in a tree watching 4 moose on the other side of a big flat about 1/4 mile away. They were traveling along the edge of the flat just inside the tree line. Two cows and two bulls and a cow was leading.

I tried a cow call and she turned and looked. I called again and she turned 90 degrees and walked straight toward me. Every time she stopped I called again and she kept coming. Of course the other 3 followed her. they came all the way across the flat, crossed the creek and walked right under my tree...literally. They were only about 15 feet from my tree and crossed into the flat on my side. I had stopped calling when they were about 100 yards away coming straight at me. The two bulls were both illegal, a 40 and 30 incher with two brow tines each.

So...early calling maybe works for cows???? Hopefully a big bull is following. I don't know.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

So...early calling maybe works for cows???? Hopefully a big bull is following. I don't know. __________________
    Or a small bull (spike/fork) is following. The majority of my moose hunting success has been by cow calling. It should not be underestimated. It works very well in stopping a bull when on the run or wanting to leave the area. Also as you experienced, it works quite well for getting the attention of a cow.I have scored a freezer full in all those situations by utilizing cow calls.

Bull grunts and a responding bull sure can be exciting though !

Arrow Sportsmans Warehouse in Anchorage...

...had it a year or two ago; probably still does. First rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Diashan View Post
    Is there anywhere local to pick up Love Thunder and Bull 2?

Default Moose Calling

This is my favorite topic.

Anyone can call moose if they try.

The biggest problem people have is no patience. They call for 2 hours and then leave. Guys that do this will not have a great track record of killing moose year in and year out in my opinion.

First thing you need to do is go buy Love Thunder and Bull from Wayne Kubat. You can get it at almost any outdoor store in Alaska or his website Alaska Remote Guide Service.

Next buy a bull magnet call that Wayne has made.

Now follow what he says in his video to the T. His dates that he lists are about dead on.

If there is one key to moose calling that anyone can master it is patience and persistance.

You have to remember this. Moose move early in the morning and mid day (noon) and late evening in the early season.

If your calling in the morning start before daylight and give yourself an extra chance that one is on the move when you call and it will detour to you or your area.

Then wait it out. My theory is that a bull bedded down will sit there and listen to you all morning and if your lucky at lunch time he will come check you out or he will wait until that night or possibly the next day.

They don't just come running because you call unless you are on their turf during full rut. They are on their clock and if you don't call over and over I beleive they will forget you are there and move on to something better.

Techniques I use are the typical brush thrashing, cow calling and small bull grunts. I also use the pee trick out of the call and that can be really deadly to a big bull.

One thing that i beleive is that a cow call isn't truly a call for the bull. People will dispute this but typically if you spend time in moose country and watch the cow calling there is a bull constantly heckling her when she isn't ready. I have come to my own conclusion a cow call is actually a call of saying get away from me I am not ready. And everytime I watch a cow call in the woods there is a bull tagging along and not getting anywhere.

This I beleive tells other bulls there is #1 cows in the area and competition to be dealt with. So if your aggresively cow calling it could mean that a young bull is really being a pest and your odds of kicking his tail are good. That is what I beleive is in the big bulls mind.

If your not cow calling a lot then that means to a big bull another big bull is hanging in the area. From what I have seen in the moose woods is the big bull tags along only occasionally checking the cow but doesn't harrass her as much as a young bull.

Young bulls irritate the cows more and are more pesky to them.

This is all what I have come up with in my own mind from spending a lot of time calling bulls over the last 12 years.

Another key to calling is being in good moose area as well.

If you find an area that has a couple years worth of torn up trees in it then you know they frequent that area. pay attention to the kind of sign that is in the area you are calling in.

Try and find where the cows will be as they dictate the rut area not the bull.

Also remember to analyze the type of moose poop in the area you are calling. Many people see it and just start calling when in fact it is winter droppings. If it is just sawdust pellets it means nothing other than that bull was there during the winter. Look for acorn shaped droppings or patties to be in the area.

That is some of how I do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast