Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mont bell ul therma wrap parka

Default Mont bell ul therma wrap parka

Any of you gear nuts have one of these? I ordered one the other day. It is very light, which is what I wanted, but I'm not sure how warm it will be. It appears to run rather small. Do most of you wear this as a top layer or as an insulating layer? I am guessing the latter due to the color. Also for those of you who have one, do you have a problem with how shiny the material is? I ordered the gunmetal (only color I could get on sale) and it seems to almost shimmer like aluminum foil. Are these parkas really as good as everyone says they are? Thanks again for letting me pick your brains.

The therma wrap parka is awesome gear. Crazy warm and much tougher than it looks. They do run small. I love mine, use it as part of a layering system, I bought the pants as well. Good gear worth the money. The Jacket weighs 8.8 oz's and the pants 10.2 oz's, thats a lot of warmth for just over a pound. I wore my jacket all over this spring and summer, warm, light and packs up to water bottle size.

Good luck

Steve

I would have one but aparently people my size don't exist in mont bell land...

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    The therma wrap parka is awesome gear. Crazy warm and much tougher than it looks. They do run small. I love mine, use it as part of a layering system, I bought the pants as well. Good gear worth the money. The Jacket weighs 8.8 oz's and the pants 10.2 oz's, thats a lot of warmth for just over a pound. I wore my jacket all over this spring and summer, warm, light and packs up to water bottle size.

Good luck

Steve
    I have the same setup Steve, except I have the Parka and not the jacket which is 12 oz I believe instead of 9 oz for the jacket, plus I get the hood. I agree they are crazy warm for their weight. I use mine as an insulating layer. However if not raining they'd be a fine outer layer. As I really don't mind the color for hunting unless maybe I am bow hunting I really don't feel the need to have camo. I have the size large pants and Large jacket. I am 5'9 155 lbs. Hope that helps for the sizing. If you feel it is a little small send it back and bump up a size. They are a trim fit compared to the Cabelas insulator jackets, but I like that in an insulator jacket. They feel intially not that warm, but after warming them the past 6 months I am sold on the them. Give it a chance if it fits ya I don't think you'll be disapointed. Great warmth for the amount of space and weight they take up in your pack.

Smile

I think that I might try the large. I am 5'7 and 155 so we are close in size. I would like to have a bit more room in the parka but don't want it to be too big either. I think that if a jacket is too large you won't be as warm. Been updating my gear a bit to try to shave off every ounce---I have found that this light weight gear has had the same effect on my wallet.

Just to stir the pot, how does this parka compare to the Das Parka and the Brooks Range from Barney's (if there is any comparison). Thanks for the help.

Monte Bell run very small. They use one size as a pattern then size accordingly off that pattern. Plus, their size model is a very athletic body type. From the rep, I understand its more of a mid layer insulation than an outwear. I found the insulation breaks down quickly especially compared to some others.

I think the Integral Designs IQ jacket is better, better shell and the Primaloft has no equal plus Evan can sew it up in camo, OD etc because he makes military clothing. A big plus is, call Evan and give him your body size and he will match it. Most of my stuff is large chest and Xlarge sleeves/length. Try that with any other outdoor company. I have been using Evan for 15 years with custom made clothing, never let me down.

The Wild Things EP Hooded jacket has no equal for its weight to warmth weather protection. Its twice as heavy but is warmer and I have actually used it in snain and Sept wet snow fall and it never has wetted out. Plus, Titoune has military contracts and makes clothing in earth tan and OD green. I have used WT, mostly when John Bouchard was there for nearly 25 years and its always been top shelf kit head of the design.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5-284 View Post
    ....Been updating my gear a bit to try to shave off every ounce---I have found that this light weight gear has had the same effect on my wallet.....
    LOL... Yup.... I call it the "dollar per ounce ratio"... whatever you do... don't do the math To upgrade my bag from my Cat's Meow to a sub 2lb BA down bag will cost me about 300 bucks to loose about 18 ozs. That's $12.50 per oz !!

Smile

Just wanted to say thanks guys for bringing these two lines of clothing to my attention like I needed another item to break the bank account!

12.50 per ounce? Ouchy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Just wanted to say thanks guys for bringing these two lines of clothing to my attention like I needed another item to break the bank account!
    MIght as well use that combat pay for something good.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    MIght as well use that combat pay for something good.
    I was thinking along the lines of snowmachines or a plane but I think my better half is thinking house.

I was thinking along the lines of snowmachines or a plane but I think my better half is thinking house.
    I know the feeling... My last deployment (active duty) we bought a house shortly after I got back on the wife's urging. Now this one (contractor) we are putting a new roof and new boiler and upgraded base board heaters as well as new fancy washer and dryer... No plane or snow-go for me either.

I am getting a new fancy pack though, and a fly in trip to Kodiak so I can't really complain toooo much. But honestly every Alaskan should have a plane

Default Might want to "listen"

Probably better listen to the better half on that one! Finally got our house bought, so now I can work on the "super cub"! LOL! Not going to happen anytime soon I can tell you that!

I bought enough small things on the last deployment as well as the boat so I felt pretty good about that.

This deployment I have bought a few little things here and there, mostly ammo and reloading supplies. My wife sure has started bringing up a house a lot! I figure if I keep her happy she will let me buy more and go hunting more.

I agree with you Mike the plane is a long ways from happening. Do you have your private pilots license? The Super Cub looks like a lot of fun and will get me into anywhere I need to go but won't carry the entire family which is a pain.

Default No

No license yet. Have a buddy with a super cub and when the time comes will be able to get some time in. I am interested in starting to fly, but won't be able to afford the costs yet. Still a few years away (or ten)!

Still keep hoping my dad wins a plane in the airmen's auction. Once that happens, I become a pilot!

I have been thinking of getting mine for years now and think I might be at that point. Think Kim just wanted to tease me with what I could not afford right now by sending me an airplane trader magazine last month. Yeah I sat up drooling over it for a few days, one of these days I will get one.

Default The decked

is stacked against me now. The kids don't want me to get one either as they say there are too many wrecks! Hopefully it will happen, if not, I will just "hitchhike" with friends!

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    is stacked against me now. The kids don't want me to get one either as they say there are too many wrecks! Hopefully it will happen, if not, I will just "hitchhike" with friends!
    Your plight sounds as bad as mine, all my friends and family say they won't fly with me something about me not paying attention while driving being too busy looking for animals?

Your plight sounds as bad as mine, all my friends and family say they won't fly with me something about me not paying attention while driving being too busy looking for animals?
    LMAO! Yeah, I am sure I am in the same boat! I know I would be a very good pilot though! No animals would be safe!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    LMAO! Yeah, I am sure I am in the same boat! I know I would be a very good pilot though! No animals would be safe!!!!!!!!
    The two of us might be able to talk Richard into flying with us but I think thats about it for the first year in the air. Though I have another friend that stated he would get in a plane with me as the pilot only after he consumed the correct amount of alcohol. He did leave the amount kinda vague?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast