Thread: does your depthfinder work at high speeds in glacial rivers

Default does your depthfinder work at high speeds in glacial rivers

Specifically, how well does your depthfinder work at speeds over 15 mph?

I have had a few over the years, both thru aluminum hull and transom mounts on fiberglass hulls. Mostly run on the Tanana. No problem at low speeds but they just cut out at higher speeds. I don't know if this is standard in very silty water or not or maybe just a bad mounting postion..

Mine doesnt work well on my Wooldridge. I suspect it may be mounting location of the transducer as it works at very low speeds (under 10mph). This year when I get the boat out I plan on moving the transducer up higher and trying that.
    Tennessee

Default a draft problem

if you are running a shallow draft boat it is common for disterbance at high speeds or on plane, the more draft you have the less disterbance. You can drop your transducer but then you will get a tail and risk busting it in shallow water.

Thumbs down

mine on my zodiak that i use on the ocean doesn't work at more than 5mph. i had one that worked at full throttle but it died do to a poor water proofing job.

Quote Originally Posted by foamsfollower View Post
    Specifically, how well does your depthfinder work at speeds over 15 mph?

I have had a few over the years, both thru aluminum hull and transom mounts on fiberglass hulls. Mostly run on the Tanana. No problem at low speeds but they just cut out at higher speeds. I don't know if this is standard in very silty water or not or maybe just a bad mounting postion..
    Tested to 50mph on gps through the aluminum hull. I gave up on transom mounts long ago. If it won't work at high speeds I would look for a better location. I tested mine with a 2in long piece of 4in plastic pipe siliconed to the bottom and filled with water and ziplock bag of sand to hold down the transducer down.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

I have a Garmin with a transom mounted transducer and it will work at speed on the Tanana (30-35 MPH).
    Its a aluminum riverboat with a fairly flat bottom, 6 degrees.
    You have to make sure there is nothing in front of it, such as strakes or ribs. It actually worked better than I expected.
    I thought I was smart and fabricated a breakway bracket that pivoted on top and held in place by a "sacrifical" zip ty on the bottom.
    Theory was if I smacked something hard enuf the ty would break first, well I apperently need wimpier zip tys cause they never broke. But a stick or something would hit the transducer and it would pivot up, noticeable becasue the depth would flash and or I would get erroneous readings. Finally the plastic gave up and broke, so its junk now.
    So, the answer is yes they will work in a silty river, the problem is keeping them there.....I am now thinking about a pogo stick design bracket that would push up when I plant it on the bottom, yep, I stll do that.
    However I have heard they make some thru hull type that are supposed to shoot thru the alum hull.
    Maybe I will try one of those if I could figure out which one
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Can some of you guys who get good performance out of your trasom mounted transducers post a photo of the mounting location?

Mine is pretty low and it tosses up a tail when I am running but something is amiss.
    Tennessee

not the best photo.
    Last edited by Akgramps; 03-21-2010 at 22:55.
    TR

Thanks Gramps. Your's is mounted even lower than mine. Now I don't know which direction to move mine, lol
    Tennessee

Snowwolf, I had to mount mine lower than I wanted to on a Carolina Skiff, but it works. The only bad thing is the transducer will get kicked up sometimes with stick or something and you have to reset it. I moved my transducer 4 times before it finally made it.

Mine works well on step until I get in very shallow water - When I lose a reading it is time to say oh %^%$ and look for a place to bail. I will try to get a picture for you later.

I haven't run my boat in a river, so can't comment on that part.

As far as the transom mount transducers, mount them as far away from the engine as possible. Mine still doesn't do well in shallow water, but it's worked much better than when it was mounted closer to the bottom of the V.

Default mine works in shallow glacial river water (photo attached)

Works fine when running on step in 2 or 3 feet of glacial river water.
    In a foot of water you know how deep it is because of the ripples on the surface. Much less than 1 foot and you know how deep it is because you get stuck or drag bottom.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Thanks Gramps. Your's is mounted even lower than mine. Now I don't know which direction to move mine, lol
    Randy, It might look low because of the angle the picture was taken, it is actually set to line up with the low side of the boat bottom, matching the horizontal line on the transducer, it might be a little cockeyed in the photo as it is frequently getting bumped.
    I cant take a current straight on photo cause its busted at the moment
    TR

Works at all speeds and water conditions
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    Tested to 50mph on gps through the aluminum hull. I gave up on transom mounts long ago. If it won't work at high speeds I would look for a better location. I tested mine with a 2in long piece of 4in plastic pipe siliconed to the bottom and filled with water and ziplock bag of sand to hold down the transducer down.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I am mostly interest in making mine work in my Alweld flatbottom. I put the transducer inside and glued it down with Goop. Tried different locations, but the Goop layer is the likely problem. Will use the piece of 4" pipe with water in it. I did that a long while ago with an old Qiachita when I had sled dogs tied in the boat. Had some problems with attachment of the tub. Also, the depthfinder failed when the dogs drank the water. No dogs now and will put a sandbag and lid on it.

Also have an old Carolina skiff. Tried the transducer at different depths off the transom. Ok at slow speeds but usually out of place from hitting sticks and those old Hummingbirds never held up very well for me. Am now trying a low end Garmin and will do another transom mount with that one.

Overall, I expect the best success with the transducer in a "tub" of water with nothing between the transducer and the river but a thin layer of water and the aluminum bottom of the boat. floor. Just have to get rid of the Goop and hold the transducer down with a weight..

You can get special epoxy at http://www.vexilar.com to make it permanent after you find a good place that works for you.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"