Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tent stove

Default Tent stove

My friend just ordered a stove from the very people Alaska Tent buys their tent stoves from. The price difference was $80 shipped to his door. He tried to buy it locally, but they would not deal for the 80 bucks. The distributor even told him what Alaska tent pays for shipping and for the stoves when they make a big order, so they are ripping us off. My friend, or myself for that matter will not be shopping there anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by kenairmk View Post
    My friend just ordered a stove from the very people Alaska Tent buys their tent stoves from. The price difference was $80 shipped to his door. He tried to buy it locally, but they would not deal for the 80 bucks. The distributor even told him what Alaska tent pays for shipping and for the stoves when they make a big order, so they are ripping us off. My friend, or myself for that matter will not be shopping there anymore.
    Alaska Tent and Tarp is a great buisness with great products. They have what is hands down THE BEST winter tent period. The fact that they are selling products to make a profit seems like common sense to me Paying a little bit more to support the local guy vs the internet retailers is just a fact of life and moreso up here than in the states. I can buy many items Barneys sells cheaper if I go straight to the manufacturers or to online retailers as well. But then one day when I needed something short notice there would be no Barneys sports chalette!! If you want to sell out local buisnesses to support faceless online warehouse direct storefronts then that I guess is your own decision. I for one will continue to shop at 3 rivers, Boondocks, AK tent and tarp, The Archers Den, Wiggys AK, Barneys, AMH, AK Tent and Tarp and heck even AIH not to mention god forgive em for being a "big box store" even Sportsmans Warehouse!! Behind those doors are all hard working Alaskans.

Lujon, you should have read the post more carefully. I ordered the stove because of the price of course. I am all in favor of a business reataining a fair profit. In this case I know what they paid from the dealer. I know what the freight charge to them. When I purchased from the company directly they sold it to me at retail price. Ak tent would have made a fair profit had they sold it at suggested retail. They chose to mark it up considerably and to make a significant profit on the freight. Not acceptable. For the record, I own an Arctic oven tent and purchased my first cylinder stove from Ak tent. After the stove was stolen it needed replaced. I buy locally when we can both agree to a fair price. At times I pay more for service and good attitude. The days of buy it here or dont buy it at all went away when the internet arrived. When i'm given an attitude I shop around. In this case I told ak tent where i stood and what i knew of the price. I gave them the chance to work with me so they could make a profit and I could buy locally. They did not care and the price "is what it is". My new stove arrives from Utah next wednesday.

The first time there is a problem with an internet purchase is when you really wish you had purchased locally. They have set their margins and you have the choice of purchasing rom them or not. I'm not sure it is fair to publically dress them down if you don't agree with their pricing policy, just buy somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by windypoint View Post
    The first time there is a problem with an internet purchase is when you really wish you had purchased locally. They have set their margins and you have the choice of purchasing rom them or not. I'm not sure it is fair to publically dress them down if you don't agree with their pricing policy, just buy somewhere else.

The tent this guy owns he bought new from AK tent, so i'm not sure what your point is in this case. The stove pricing is the real issue in this case. If one wants what is considered "the best" tent you will just pay. Everything else in the scenario is not specialized, it's just stuff, it can be had fron a multitude of places, so getting the best price is the sensible thing to do, unless some of you have so much money it is a non-issue.

I understand they have a set profit they want and thats where it is. I DID buy somewhere else. The intent was not to dress them down as much as it was a way to tell others there are options. I and my brother both have arctic oven tents. We both have many options offered for the tents and stoves. We have handed them thousands of dollars. I'm not asking for a special deal because of this. I called to ask for a compromise and was told no. I went elsewhere. Simple as that. I've lived in Alaska for 40 years. I have bought locally alot.

OP,

Buy from where ever you want. You work as hard for your money as anyone else. Spend it where you want. I think you may be getting some friction for what some may construe as bad mouthing an otherwise very reputable business. We all (including me) should keep in mind that folks will be reading these words for years. It would be a shame to hurt a local (for you) business just because they were trying to make a living just like everyone that walks into their store. Your job as a consumer is to get the best deal. Their job as a retailer is to make as much money on a product as the local market will support. To this way of thinking one can deduce that they can get $80 more for the stove than you were willing to pay. Good for them that they can. Good for you that you found the item elsewhere. It is a win win situation. They get the $80 on the jacked up price from someone else and you saved $80 for being a savvy shopper. Lets not let basic business practices put us at odds with one another.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I agree with you there Dan. Not to mention I am sure that someone (like me) will come along needing a tent setup on short notice and be more than willing to pay the premium for the convenience of having that stove RIGHT NOW! For instance Amazon had a great deal going on the Mapquest topo CD last year so I ordered it. Well the day before I was to leave on my hunt I still hadn't received it! So off to Sportsmans W/H I drove to get me ANOTHER, more expensive copy of the CD! I went on my hunt and had a great time. When I got home I picked up the CD in the mail and sold it to
    BrianM for even less than the Amazon price! So Brian got the best deal of us all and Sportsmans W/H got full retail while I paid Retail PLUS the $15 dollars I lost on the resale to Brian.

From the example above it is clear that having items in stock means you can sell them for more because people need it now. However if you have some time and can wait you will likely be able to buy it cheaper from the net. If you have a LOT of time and are patient you can scoop up a really great deal off of the forum or craigslist and come out way ahead like BrianM. In fact I sold a cylinder stove setup on Craigs list this time last year and I guarantee you couldn't order one from anywhere for the price I sold that one for!

If I was Alaska Tent and Tarp, and found out that a vendor of mine was giving out my wholesale price and shipping info, I'd be looking for a new stove vendor. Talk about unethical business practices by the stove vendor
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

so where is it i can get this stove for 80$ less?
    Semper Fi!

From the manufacturer who is totally willing to share info with anyone
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Cylinder stoves.com $189.00 for the stove and $36.00 for parcel post freight. $ 225.00 Ak tent wants $300.00 This of course is $75.00 less NOT including my trip to Anchorage.

Default I am a consumer

and as such it is my job to find a good price on items that I purchase. In the last 60 days I have spent well over 5K on outdoor stuff.I have been to darn near every outdoor store in Anchorage and the Valley to find the best prices on goods. Some local business's charge over 50% of what can be found on the internet. So what about the internet site sponsors from outside of AK? I just paid over $70 more here in town that a site sponsor had on their site. The only reason why was that I may need to return the item and they had a kick butt return policy so I went local.
    I will try to buy locally. I am an Alaskan TOO! and there is no reason to spend foolish to support others.
    I am not an impulse buyer and research both my goods and services before my purchases.
    I know the price I can pay online and seeing a very inflated price I always ask," Is this the best you can do?". I feel it is now in their hands to make an adjustment. If the answer is NO!, then they lost their chance at a sale and don't feel bad one bit for the Alaskan who turned down or did not offer a better price for a chance to make some profit and wanted to stick to his/her guns for a ridiculous mark up.
    My $.02
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    If I was Alaska Tent and Tarp, and found out that a vendor of mine was giving out my wholesale price and shipping info, I'd be looking for a new stove vendor. Talk about unethical business practices by the stove vendor
    Absolutely.
    It's not ethical on the part of the wholesaler, and if he wants to stay in business, he needs to stop doing that.

The price a store charges is determined by what it costs them, and it's not just wholesale and shipping. There's also handling, warehousing, maintaining inventory, etc.

The comment,,,,, "so they are ripping us off." seems like mindless reaction, and is not correct.

What is correct, is that the store has determined that they have to make a certain profit margin to stock, that stove. Maybe they are not COMPETITIVE but it doesn't mean they are CROOKS, (Ripping people off.)

IMO, buying directly, to save $80.00 is not wrong either, no matter where you buy.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

In my opinion $75 is not an un reasonable proffit margin. That is cost plus 1/3. In most bussiness the price is cost plus 50% or more. I used to work in a furniture store and it was cost plus 165%. We were not riping anyone off. We sold our merchandice for what people were willing to pay and what would make a proffir for the store. You need to consider that there is considerable overhead in a bussiness. They have to pay either a mortgage or rent, utilities, insurance, employe wages, taxes (local, state, and federal), etc. And they still need to make a profit. The supplier made an unethical move buy telling you what he sold to a business for. Good for you for getting a deal, but dont say that a trusted local business is "ripping us off" when they are trying to make a small proffit off of a specilty item that may need to set on a shelf for months before someone walks in needing that specific item.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

I always go by their attitude when I am doing some comparison shopping, if I go somewhere and their attitude is "if you don't like our price then by somewhere else" then that's exactly what I do. That has happened to me several times over the years but for the most part, I try and keep my business in state. $80 is a lot of money and I woud have done the same thing. You made an effort to buy from them and they wouldn't budge, that's not your fault.

Being in business does not mean that you have to offer fair prices, or the best price, it only means that you charge what will keep you in business and maximize your profit.

Wal-Mart has decided that low prices and volume, maximizes their prices, others have determined that due to their remoteness few customers and higer prices is the way to go.

All that is being said here is that the local business has lost your sale and if that happens enough he will lower his prices if he deems the loss of your and other business, does not maximize his profit.

If on the other had the loss of your sale is an considered an isolated incident, then he will not lower his prices, because it would not maximize his profit.

Just remeber its not personal its just business.

You may not like it but it is what makes the world go round.

Default Overhead...

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    OP,

Buy from where ever you want. You work as hard for your money as anyone else. Spend it where you want. I think you may be getting some friction for what some may construe as bad mouthing an otherwise very reputable business. We all (including me) should keep in mind that folks will be reading these words for years. It would be a shame to hurt a local (for you) business just because they were trying to make a living just like everyone that walks into their store. Your job as a consumer is to get the best deal. Their job as a retailer is to make as much money on a product as the local market will support. To this way of thinking one can deduce that they can get $80 more for the stove than you were willing to pay. Good for them that they can. Good for you that you found the item elsewhere. It is a win win situation. They get the $80 on the jacked up price from someone else and you saved $80 for being a savvy shopper. Lets not let basic business practices put us at odds with one another.

What's their overhead? I'm on the same page as Dan also - Without knowing more about their expenses, I wouldn't conclude anything and grant a small business owner his/her prerogative to run the business how they think best. AT&T has a fairly large space there and seemed to be adequately staffed. Beyond that, the person at the counter may not have any discretion when it comes to pricing if policy comes from someone higher up. Agree with comments on service though and a business with enough space, enough materials, enough staff and competent to boot - is doing something right, especially when doing custom-fit business for demanding Alaska outdoorsfolk. Recent personal experience: I had a cataraft cargo module custom made 3 weeks ago, promised in 10 days, delivered in 7- and done right, a common story with this business.

Good discussion though and like Dan said, it's your money, man. Our comments are just thoughts that others might consider. It's a fine thing you found another source for your stove and we all hope the $80 savings works out well. Others might profit from the info shared. Thanks.

I'm a buy local guy. I think my dollars are better spent supporting local employment than local welfare for the unemployed. It's always nice to see folks that I buy from show up in my store as customers, too. That's what community is all about.

ok guys iam reading this post and was thinking that the guy more mad at the store for basic overpriceing him 80.dollars on a stove and shipping and handleing charge of 220.oo dollars total here in the states without taxs add to the charge..

but the point the guy is trying to make is the mark up on the product once came into the alaska area..

for i just run into the so call alaska shipping charge problem on a piece of gear that i had to ship up here to fix something..

for i just found out what a part for my house is going to cost me in shipping alone to alaska is a joke but i have to have the supid part to fix the stove unit. to make it run right ...

let just say the price of shipping jumped for a small part that could be mailed in a standard size 4.inchs tall-x-7-.inchs long box double for the price of shipping up there..and wieghts less than 2 pds total ..

which i think is a rip off but i have to have the part for the stove..

the local people where very nice to me and told it was a rip off to charge that much on shipping a small piece like that,..

before the guy got off the people with the people at the stove place he was writting the prices down for me to see and when he said alaska ,.he got a look on his face and like he just bit into something that was rotten

he sat there and was little mad that a such a small item was going to cost more in the shipping and handleing part than the cost of the stove part..

for it was my fault that i order the wrong parts for the stove and i was willing to pay the extras for the parts to fix it right to run the right typle of gas for the stove to cook on and bakeing and grill top unit..

i had to fly up there this week to take care of a couple of items and get something on ground rolling before i come back down and take the truck up loaded with stuff on the ferry..

the local guy was nice as heck about the part saying that he could try and get it made here localy but it void my service concact with the jen-air stove company..

the price of the parts where less than $.15.oo total..shipping and handleing along ins that the company say i have to have for them to ship to alaska is .$.30.dollars..
    to be mailed over night to the place for alaska that all they as far as shipping is handle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast