Thread: Willow Fishing Report 7/29

Arrow Willow Fishing Report 7/28

EDIT: I mean the 28th. oopse!

We ended up getting out there at about 5pm and there were a few crowds. there were consistant schools of what looked like to be pink salmon I didnt take any photos because my digicam doesn't have a polarizer so it couldn't see the fish. After about an hour we decided to move up the river (Taking the advice of a Willow Resident) and we continued to fish there for about 3 hours.

I caught what I thought was a silver, but I wasn't sure, so then I asked a few people and they all agreed that it is a silver, so yeah. Comfirmed Silver in Willow (the "spots" on the fins is just dirt). In case you wanna know it bit on a Dolly Lama Black/White

I also caught a pink but I didnt take a photo of it, I caught it on a humpy Hooker #4

My friend James caught two chum salmon which I think are pretty big for chum (but then again I havent seen alot so I have no idea) the first one pictured was foul hooked so he unhooked it, I took a photo and he let it go on its way.

The second one was a legit hook so after some fighting he brought it in. All in all willow was -really- fun.

Last edited by AlaskaIsCold; 07-29-2009 at 18:19. Reason: Screwed up the report date.
    A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Default FYI, not silver, Chum!!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaIsCold View Post
    EDIT: I mean the 28th. oopse!

We ended up getting out there at about 5pm and there were a few crowds. there were consistant schools of what looked like to be pink salmon I didnt take any photos because my digicam doesn't have a polarizer so it couldn't see the fish. After about an hour we decided to move up the river (Taking the advice of a Willow Resident) and we continued to fish there for about 3 hours.

I caught what I thought was a silver, but I wasn't sure, so then I asked a few people and they all agreed that it is a silver, so yeah. Comfirmed Silver in Willow (the "spots" on the fins is just dirt). In case you wanna know it bit on a Dolly Lama Black/White

I also caught a pink but I didnt take a photo of it, I caught it on a humpy Hooker #4

The second one was a legit hook so after some fighting he brought it in. All in all willow was -really- fun.

That is a chrome chum!! Not a silver..

Talking

And.....it is not the first one this year, last year or the previous years to be mistaken for a Silver. It happens often, so often that it has caused arguements on the river bank, so I just say Oh..Ok and go on.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

All sweet looking fish regardless....

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    And.....it is not the first one this year, last year or the previous years to be mistaken for a Silver. It happens often, so often that it has caused arguements on the river bank, so I just say Oh..Ok and go on.
    I had this happen on the Kenai. I caught a big male red that had a sort of a hump forming on its back. Some girl said I caught a humpy. When I told her it was a red and explained why she said "No, it's a humpy. Look at the hump on it's back". I just nodded my head and went back to fishing.

o_o so it wasn't a silver?
    Ah well. It still tasted good on the dinner table!

--Chris
    A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

--Chris

That's all that matters!

--Chris
    I think people get a little snobbish about salmon. I decided I couldn't wait for a silver so I kept a couple of pinks. They were delicious. Still not as good as a silver but better than farmed...and not dyed.
    That's what she said...

Default I took my Daugher up to Willow a few days ago...

The fishing was great.. it rained most of the time we were there.
    But, fish were everywhere... she walked across the one river and started fishing on the other side as a huge Eagle was soaring low over head and a low lying mist was hanging over the water...
    It was beautiful... all of us out there fishing in the slow light rain...

We did not catch very many, but a lot of people were catching HUGE fish and all were having a great time.
    We are going again soon.

Anyone heard how it is going down on BirdCreek?

I'm pretty new to this area for fishing and was wondering what lures to use? Beads? Yarn? Any tips would be great

Thumbs up Roger that

Quote Originally Posted by matjpow View Post
    I think people get a little snobbish about salmon. I decided I couldn't wait for a silver so I kept a couple of pinks. They were delicious. Still not as good as a silver but better than farmed...and not dyed.
    Kept a few chrome chums out of the willow...filleted in chunks, battered and deep fried, they were out of this world. I still havent found a taste for pinks though, no matter how they are prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanlife View Post

...Anyone heard how it is going down on BirdCreek?
    Here it is if you haven't found it already:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...highlight=bird
    That's what she said...

Quote Originally Posted by akice View Post
    I'm pretty new to this area for fishing and was wondering what lures to use? Beads? Yarn? Any tips would be great
    I usually use yarn (no specific color) tied onto the hook. Sometimes I smush in some roe if they are not hitting it. Also I will use russian river flys or similar if I am in quicker water. I went out a few days ago and they were stiking everything with a vengence for some reason (until they figured out what I was doing) I've found that the fish right at the mouth of the creek that haven't been messed with by hoards of fisherman are more likely to actually strike. Otherwise you are just trying to get the hook to float in their mouth. I don't think they are really stiking they try to spit it out and they get hooked.
    That's what she said...

ahh I see, good deal. Thanks for the tips matjpow! I'll try those out when I get a chance.

Talking Everyone had a great time...

Thursday, July 30th.. everyone had a great time.
    Everyone was having a great time.. catching fish!!!
    More photos on our site, if anyone is interested.
    alaskalive.net
    I was amazed to see all the kids out there fishing. I mean kids, little ones out there with a pole, casting and learning to fish.. I wish I had learned at these young ages!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (49.1 KB, 134 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (69.5 KB, 95 views)

Default Pinks pinks and more pinks

took an 8 hour float today and the river is still stupid with pinks. I did hear a few say they caught a silver or two but I did not see any. We did land a few chum but they were getting dark. I am beginning to wonder if there are silvers out there.

Default I caught a Silver at Willow

We went out there last night. While the sun was up, it was nothing but Pinks. Several foul hooks, let go. I let about 3 legal Pink hookups go. As the sun went down, saw several Silvers caught. I caught a small buck Silver. The lady just downstream of us caught a nice 10-12 lb Silver.
    Went back to campground enjoyed a fire, dried out my leg (gotta fix that leak ) and went home.

Overall, it was a great evening spent with the family.

AK Chappy

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Chappy View Post
    We went out there last night. While the sun was up, it was nothing but Pinks. Several foul hooks, let go. I let about 3 legal Pink hookups go. As the sun went down, saw several Silvers caught. I caught a small buck Silver. The lady just downstream of us caught a nice 10-12 lb Silver.
    Went back to campground enjoyed a fire, dried out my leg (gotta fix that leak ) and went home.

Overall, it was a great evening spent with the family.

AK Chappy
    Great news! I love August.
    That's what she said...