Thread: Some help for the new guy?

Default Some help for the new guy?

Hello all...it has become quickly apparent that while I know nothing whatsoever about reloading the time has come for me learn : ) High prices, my shooting addiction and generally not being able to find a dang thing I want when I want it is gonna force me into this new hobby. I never had time to do it before and I really don't now but I really don't seem to have a choice. So, if anyone out there doesn't mind taking a little time to reply and steer me in the right direction and where to start my reloading career, I would sure be appreciative! Thanks a lot and hope everyone is having a good summer.

First thing is to get a reloading manual from one of the major bullet makers...like Hornady, Speer, etc. Lee also puts out a pretty good one as does some of the powder manufacturers. The more sources of info you have the better. Then you will need a good press...I like Dillon and RCBS...Lee is good and there are others as well. A single stage press is always useful and will get you into the hobby for a little less than a progressive model and also will cause you to take your time and learn all the steps more thoroughly since you can only do one thing at a time. Basic tools to get started with besides a press will include a scale, powder measure, bullet puller, primer flip tray...you'll begin to realize what else you'll need once you get started but those are some of the basics...I'm sure I've forgotten something but others will chime in. If you don't have a reloading bench where you can permanently mount your equipment you can always clamp everything down with C clamps on the kitchen table 'till you can build or buy one. It's a fun and rewarding hobby...good luck and enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by DeadWolf View Post
    Hello all...it has become quickly apparent that while I know nothing whatsoever about reloading the time has come for me learn : ) High prices, my shooting addiction and generally not being able to find a dang thing I want when I want it is gonna force me into this new hobby. I never had time to do it before and I really don't now but I really don't seem to have a choice. So, if anyone out there doesn't mind taking a little time to reply and steer me in the right direction and where to start my reloading career, I would sure be appreciative! Thanks a lot and hope everyone is having a good summer.
    As a first step I suggest you buy several reloading manuals. Bullet & powder manufacturers produce them and they are all helpful, some more than others. If you have a particular type of bullet you prefer in the field I would recommend that manufacturer's guide and then at least one or two more. For example I like Nosler and Hornady bullets and so refer to these manuals for load information regularly. These manuals have a significant portion dedicated to instructing beginning reloaders. There are other titles available that are very helpful (i.e. The ABCs of Reloading) and provide valuable reference information.

I recommend you buy these manuals and read them before you purchase your equipment. This will make your equipment selection easier and will probably save you a little money so you don't buy things you won't really need or use before you know what you are doing.

ADF&G has a reloading class you might want to look into. It isn't posted on the website but I know some of the Fairbanks archery instructors teach a reloading class as well.

Default reloadin'

thanks guys I appreciate the info and keep it coming whoever else wants to chime in here, thanks

I got into reloading last November about 37 seconds after the presidential election results were known.

My first recommendation is to take out a second on your house, you're gonna need the cash. Ok, seriously though, this can get expensive so first get the book, The ABC's of Reloading. There's lots of good info in there that will give you the basic knowledge you need to get started with this hobby. I'll toss in a word of caution here and warn you to DO NOT do what I did when I got started. I bought a press, dies and other stuff simply because it happened to be available during this time of shortages in reloading stuff. Now I have some things I like and some that I may never use.

Next, like the other guys said, get the reloading manuals. There are a LOT of them and most of them only list loads for their bullet/powder so, unless you only plan on shooting Sierra bullets with Hodgdon powder you will unfortunately need to get many expensive manuals. I have 3 of them so far plus some pamphlets and a lot of stuff I've downloaded from the internet and I've only scratched the surface.

Talk to other reloaders, research articles online, read books and then talk to other reloaders again. Also,if you know someone who reloads, go over and check out their stuff and listen to what they say, THEN buy what you need to get started. Oh yeah, buy an RCBS bullet puller. I've used it several times already.

I gotta tell you that I'm hooked on reloading now. I have a new rifle on order and right now I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas. My wife is quite amused.

I'll attest right here that this reloading stuff is one helluva lot of fun.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

YEAH what bob said....

and for GOD SAKE!!!!!!!!!!! don't tell the wife... what you spend... only what you save....

you know the it is on sale deal they seem to understand.... ( at least mine does)

i made my first rounds the weekend after moms day.. last spring... and with a lesson from another forum memeber... i got past the initial.... fear of it all...

my case i was looking for help as i did not have the space to reload here at home... fortunately last month we were able to get the office out of the HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!! finally.!!!! so i have a 6x6 area... that was already deemed work space ....

i was able to move my newly acquired stock of press and scales into that area... and made more room by sliding the gun locker in there too....

I am careful in what i buy... as we are on a tight budget... it helps that her son loves to shoot and that i am doing things with him... but still the budget.

so i carefully review my loading books.... ( you will need more then one) and review what will make loads for my guns...

I am into hunting... so the fastest most accurate load may not be the one i get from the powders i buy... as they will accommodate MORE then one load and more then one calibur... I look at recoil reduction for the kids to shoot, and availability of the supplies we need to meet our requirements

you are on the first track thats for sure... these guys on this forum are some of the greatest ones out there for steering you straight good advice... and helpfully and mostly understanding... there is a WEALTH of knowledge here to be gleaned and passed on.... for the most part here... guys will share info and supplies as needed... i honestly can not adequately express... my gratitude back to them.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default new to loading

i just got started a year ago or so, my main piece of advice would be to buy DF Curran's video "learn handgun and rifle reloading in under 41 minutes". it is the most comprehensive information available, crack a beer, sit back and enjoy. it will make set up and understanding of the manuals a breeze, and gives you a great idea of what supplies and equipment you'll want to get started. good luck!
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final. You need to learn to be slow in a hurry! Wyatt Earp.