Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beluga River Dipnet Fishery

Default Beluga River Dipnet Fishery

Anyone planning on doing this?

"A personal use dip net fishery was created in the Beluga River. The fishery is open from July 20 through August 31, 24 hours per day and is only allowed for senior citizenís (over 60 years of age). Proxy fishing is not allowed and participants must be Alaska residents. There is a weekly reporting requirement, and when 500 salmon have been harvested the fishery will be closed by emergency order. Permits are required and will be issued at the Anchorage and Palmer ADF&G offices."

Sounds interesting. Unfortunately, I am done for the year. Where is the Beluga River? Any further details will be appreciated possibly for next year.

Thanks

Default West of Big Su

Northwest side of Cook Inlet

I'm assuming since this is for seniors only it would be a fairly easy fishery, but how do you get there? Seems like you've got to have a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    I'm assuming since this is for seniors only it would be a fairly easy fishery, but how do you get there? Seems like you've got to have a boat.
    I heard they have a wheelchair ramp that runs across Cook Inlet from Anchorage. Motorized scooters are allowed as well. The speed limit is only 2 MPH, so the seniors have to get up pretty early to leave, which typically isn't a problem.

Default Can't be...

Can't be any easier than driving a motorhome down to the Kenai and launching your boat within a quarter mile of the fishing grounds.

I suspect that this fishery is more difficult than we realize, and limited to the 60+ group so the younger, less wise, don't die in the process. Just guessing, though.

The people I know who take their boats from the Port of Anchorage across the inlet on a regular basis have earned quite a bit of respect, IMO.

~tr

Default Another view

Here's another shot of the mouth of the Beluga River. It's about 35 miles west of Anchorage and 12 miles northeast of Tyonek.

I heard there is going to be a branch off the Knik arm bridge.

Interesting fishery. Ok now I have one good reason to make it to 60.

Thats a tough fishery. Access is very limited. I doubt 500 fish would be caught a year, especially since there is no proxy fishing. There aren't that many 60+ year olds in the area. If they opened up to all then that would be interesting.

KLICKMAN

Default Unbelievable

Just stopped by the Anchorage ADF&G office and the man at the counter (name withheld) was not even aware of the Beluga River Personal Use Dipnet Fishery. He looked it up online, and sure enough, there it was. Since he never heard of it, he did not know if anybody had ever fished it. The Anchorage office does not have any permits on hand like the web says. He called the Palmer office and got a little more info:

1. Fly in to the Beluga airfield.
    2. Somehow get to the bridge that crosses the Beluga River.
    3. Dipnetting starts a mile below the bridge.

Sound like a great fishery for 60 year olds with no need of proxy fishers.

Summary document:
    http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/fishinfo/meetsum/2007_2008/presum08uci.pdf

ALASKA BOARD OF FISHERIES
    UPPER COOK INLET
    February 1-12, 2008
    Anchorage

Preliminary Summary

Item #358 Last item on the last of 10 pages:

C/A 358 Open a personal use salmon fishery in the Beluga area. Amendment: Opened PU fishery for
    persons 60 years of age or older, July 20 - Aug. 31, no king salmon retention.

C = Carried; C/A = Carried as amended; F = Failed; NA = No action; T = Tabled
    2/13/08

So my question is: Which 60 year old is this benefiting?

I'll dig some more. I'm looking for the minutes of this meeting to see if any reasoning was being employed.

~tr

See, personal use fisheries where you need a plane or the money to get one to take you there make me suspicious of need. I think I'd rather save money by buying the fish.

So, I think it's a valid question: Who exactly is this fishery benefiting?

I saw Uncle Ted boarding a small plane at Lake Hood with what looked like a homemade dipnet (more like one of those trout landing nets stuck on a golfclub, but I'm sure he knows what he's doing). Pretty sure I heard him say something about hitting his "private honeyhole"....it has to be the Beluga thing.... pretty darn sure, anyway....

He also had two Rubbermaid totes and one of those Segway things with suspiciously large tires.

Default BOF did this for local Beluga River residents who are elderly.

Please look at the enclosed attachments. Apparently, testimony from a couple of families that have property in the area was used in deciding on the Personal Use Fishery.

I have not yet found minutes of the meeting.

~tr

Default Another petitioner

Here's testimony from another local landholder.

BTW I found these here:

http://google.state.ak.us/search?q=c...t=DFG&oe=UTF-8

~tr

The BOF created this fishery as a result of a proposal from locals in the area that were seeking an opportunity to harvest some fish using gear other than rod & reel near their homes. The proposal was for a personal use fishery similar to Kenai/Kasilof/China Poot, etc. The BOF realized that the Beluga River would only support a small amount of harvest for salmon (none for king salmon) so they amended the proposal through the committee process and came up with a fishery that was acceptable to the original proposer but was likely not to grow beyond the ability for the stock to sustain itself. The BOF has the authority to create senior citizen and/or youth only fisheries. By limiting participation to these groups, the Board can open fisheries that might otherwise not be open to anyone due to only small available harvestable surpluses.

Default I understand the need for local harvest, but...

What if you are a local resident with your family to feed and you have all the same reasons but you are not 60 years old? What if you are 59? What if you are 29?

What statute gives the BOF the power to discriminate allocation of resources to local residents based on age?

It appears this fishery is intended to benefit a few specific people.

~tr

Sec. 16.05.251. Regulations of the Board of Fisheries.

(a) The Board of Fisheries may adopt regulations it considers advisable in accordance with AS 44.62 (Administrative Procedure Act) for

(1) setting apart fish reserve areas, refuges, and sanctuaries in the waters of the state over which it has jurisdiction, subject to the approval of the legislature;

(2) establishing open and closed seasons and areas for the taking of fish; if consistent with resource conservation and development goals, the board may adopt regulations establishing restricted seasons and areas necessary for

(A) persons 60 years of age and older to participate in sport, personal use, or subsistence fishing; or

(B) persons under 16 years of age to participate in sport fishing;

http://www.legis.state.ak.us/cgi-bin...c/%7B@7539%7D?

Default Thanks for the statute

BOF has the authority to restrict this fishery to benefit the few local residents who are 60+.

Help me understand here. Doesn't this area fall within the Tyonek Subsistence Use Area according to the attached map? And at the same time the Anchorage-Matsu-Kenai Nonsubsistence Area?

I think this thread belongs in the Fisheries Management by Politics forum.

~tr

There can be personal use fisheries in subsistence areas, but there can't be subsistence fisheries in nonsubsistence use areas. An example of this is the sport and personal use tanner crab fishery in Kachemak Bay. The area around Seldovia allows for all three user groups, but outside of the Seldovia area, only sport and personal use is allowed for tanner crab.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bibico View Post
    I saw Uncle Ted boarding a small plane at Lake Hood with what looked like a homemade dipnet (more like one of those trout landing nets stuck on a golfclub, but I'm sure he knows what he's doing). Pretty sure I heard him say something about hitting his "private honeyhole"....it has to be the Beluga thing.... pretty darn sure, anyway....

He also had two Rubbermaid totes and one of those Segway things with suspiciously large tires.

Thanks biblico. I needed a good laugh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast