Thread: Is the Kenai Flooding???

Default Is the Kenai Flooding???

I'll be floating this weekend, short trip, Sportsman's to Jim's and wonder about how high the water is now. Heard they're having more rain than Anchorage. Can anyone report? Thanks.

Default Kenai water level

It is forcasted to rise a little bit, should stay in the action stage.

http://aprfc.arh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydr...0,7,8,2,9,15,6

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Fished the upper Kenai last Sunday and the river is up and fast. The gravel bars are under water and keep an eye out for floating junk; i.e., trees, branches and fishermen. There are still fresh fish running up river, but with the high, fast water it could be a little harder to limit out. If you are taking any young ones with you make sure that they keep their PFDs on all the time. To give you an idea of the water level, there is now an island at Jim's landing at the log jam and I spotted a king swimming back there. Be safe, have fun and catch lots of fish. Tight lines.

Just fished Sportsman's to Jim's today and yeah its flooded but it is fishable. Some new holes are open with trout feeding on top. Actually they are jumping and hammering flies. Hooking into some reds are a bit harder but do able. I saw a few limbs floating down river fast but as long as you are paying attention you should be fine. Jim's landing has fast water but it's still an easy landing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2384.jpg  

Smile Great photo

LIoAK, looks like you had a fun day on the river. It is always great to get the C&R net out for a great photo. I am heading back down this weekend. I can hardly wait to try out my Raptor Rod Works fly rod on some Kenai rainbows. It finally gets delivered tomorrow. Did you try using elk hair caddis dry and caddis emerger flies? Copper beadhead partridge and pheasent tails nymph were working for me. Tight lines.

I was having luck with a purple egg sucking leech. I did place an order with Alaska Fly fishing goods for some Caddis. I tried dead drifting some bead headed nymphs but no luck with them. I have never heard of that rod is it a custom built rod? Best of luck.

You should learn how to turn feather and fur into flies. It is not hard to learn. I got lucky and won the custom fly rod on eBay. It is a 9'6'' 3 piece 5/6WT with a fighting butt and a fast action, perfect for big Alaskan trout, steelhead and dollies. I will be on the upper river this weekend to get one more float trip in before I go caribou hunting. Is the river starting to come down yet? Tight lines.

Default Hydrological report

you can check the various locations of the Kenai River at: http://aprfc.arh.noaa.gov/ahps2/glan...0,7,8,2,9,15,6

You can also get a visual of the river at the ferry at: http://www.dot.state.ak.us/iways/roa...Id=1&siteId=12

looks like the river is quite high and very few people are fishing. I was down there last Friday and fishing was tough- it has gone up about another foot since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Fisher View Post
    I'll be floating this weekend, short trip, Sportsman's to Jim's and wonder about how high the water is now. Heard they're having more rain than Anchorage. Can anyone report? Thanks.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I'd like to see some Kenai River cams, with streaming live footage. Visuals also help.

Quote Originally Posted by akriverman View Post
    You should learn how to turn feather and fur into flies. It is not hard to learn. I got lucky and won the custom fly rod on eBay. It is a 9'6'' 3 piece 5/6WT with a fighting butt and a fast action, perfect for big Alaskan trout, steelhead and dollies. I will be on the upper river this weekend to get one more float trip in before I go caribou hunting. Is the river starting to come down yet? Tight lines.

I agree and I love tying flies but some times it is a lot easier just to buy the flies. It's probably about the same price too.