Thread: Blueberries around Fairbanks

Default Blueberries around Fairbanks

I was hoping somebody could tell me where a good place would be to find blueberries around Fairbanks. I am not trying to steal anybodies secret spot here i'm just looking for a general area where I can take my kids to pick a some berries for us to make a few homemade goodies with this fall. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Back side of Ballaine Road (towards Goldstream Road) is a good spot to go, see plenty of people picking out that way (near the marsh). Also Nordale Road flats (closer to CHSR) is another spot where I've seen people recently.

Many make the trek up to Murphy Dome, but expect a lot of competition up there. I was up there a couple weeks back and there were plenty of pickers, but not a lot of ready berries on the Dome.

I live near Nordale and have seen plenty of cars parked ou there in past years I just never took the time to stop and ask what they were doing. When is the best time to pick blueberries? I have heard that seasons are different depending on where you live and that the season is earlier up here than it is the farther south you go. Is there any truth to this?

Depends on the weather. When I was up on Murphy Dome, they were not ready yet. I typically go mid-August. But it's been a dry summer and the raspberries are starting to be ready in the yard right now. The blueberries shouldn't be too far behind. This is the time to go scouting, remember your buckets & enjoy the outdoors.

Thanks for the tips, we have lots of salmon to smoke up this weekend but we may try to get out and look for a few good spots. Might even go get some raspberries, there are lots by the house and they are ready to eat. My sone has been devouring them already. Thanks again.