Thread: Calling Competition

Default Calling Competition

Just curious how man of you out there would be interested in a calling competition in the off season, not sure how hard it would be to get an event like that sanctioned, but I always thought it would be fun thing to do to get the "rust" off the calls, and get to meet some fellow duck hunters in the winter.

Any thoughts?

Default count me in

I for one think it would be another great way to meet some more waterfoulers

Default 1st one wins

First caller to get a duck to come into Sportsman's Warehouse WINS! That'd be live, not thrown into the ring by a spectator!
    I am in Fairbanks and might be interested. The time to do it is now though, before season. A sponsor might have more to gain now than in the winter.
    More folks coming into play and watch could be potential product buyers. I've never called in public before, that is if you exclude my lab as being public. Could be fun.

Default good point

River Rat you bring in some good points as far as when to have it, I will look into a possible contest next year then as I am sure it is a little late now, and I cant say for everyone else but I would rather be in the blind calling at ducks, then on a stage calling at people.

I know some of the Sportsman's Warehouse's have calling contests in conjunction with a "Waterfowl Weekend" filled with events, sponsors, and company reps. I have talked with our SW about that but the problem we have is most of their companies don't get their new line-up of waterfowl products out early enough and by the time SW gets them up here, often our water is frozen. If enough people ask about it maybe we can put something together. I think it would be a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    I know some of the Sportsman's Warehouse's have calling contests in conjunction with a "Waterfowl Weekend" filled with events, sponsors, and company reps. I have talked with our SW about that but the problem we have is most of their companies don't get their new line-up of waterfowl products out early enough and by the time SW gets them up here, often our water is frozen. If enough people ask about it maybe we can put something together. I think it would be a blast.

I called and spoke with a manager of SW here in Anchorage about this time last year when I found out I was moving up here. They said that they never have enough of a turnout to do a sanctioned event. I told them I'd personally try to get people to come out and could almost guarantee 5-10 callers. They said they had done it in the past, but had no plans, regardless of people interested, to do it in the future. That could change, just telling you what I was told. It's always worth another try, though.

You could count me in for duck calling.

I call ducks! I'm in!