Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 55" or 36" which would you choose?

Default 55" or 36" which would you choose?

I don’t know how many posts I have read asking “I am looking for a location to hunt moose, not interested in getting a trophy bull moose just a “meat moose””.

If you saw two bulls a 55” and a 36” would you take the small moose because it’s better tasting or the old tough bull?

Default I've never had

a bad or "tough" big bull, so I would surely tank the 55" bull. Then again, that is a bit small so I might hold off for a larger one!

Well the moose with the larger rack is typically going to be a larger bodies moose so more meat and I have yet to taste any tough moose meat from any moose.

Ive got a 61" hanging on the wall that tasted just as good as a spike fork. I'd be shootin at whatever I can put a hole in first, if it's a meat trip. Bigger the better.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default 55

for many years my dad said he'd rather shoot a young buck than an old one. he routinely shot young bucks every year and they enjoyed the meat. then one day a huge buck appeared. there was a much smaller young buck with it. my dad shot the big one. he was excited and took it to the taxidermist. it was the only deer he ever took to the taxidermist.
    meat hunting is rewarding in availability, sometimes less wary game, and usually delicious. our tendencies as being competative human beings, predetrmines a drive to weigh the bass, measure the antlers and proudly display that beauty.

Default bigger is better

i'll have to agree with TWB that bigger is better. that's what she said.

Whichever comes first. I have not killed a bull yet, so not in a position to be picky.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

After you get one nice wall hanger..really..whats the purpose of another? Good on yah if you really hafta have a monster bull but I just want the meat. Ive already done the moose hunt of a lifetime plus I honestly dont have the space in my living room for another..I'm reserving the space for some other type of dead animal
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I'd take the big one if they were standing side by side, but like pike_palace, I'll shoot the one that I see first in almost every case. Besides, my wife once told me that she'd shoot me herself if I ever pass up a spike/fork. She loves that young, tender moose, so I'm not about to pass up a young, legal bull.

Talking

I would shoot which ever one gave me a good clean kill shot. Either Moose would put some good meat in the freezer.

I'd take the 55" cause I'm a non-resident and F&G would want to speak with me if I shot the 36".

But if I had the choice, either one would do. Not sure about the bigger/tougher meat thing, the 56" bull I shot in 2006 tasted just fine.

Talking

A good meat mallet tenderizer is the equalizer-without-equal!

Therefore, aim for the antlers!

Taylor

-[]------->

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    I don’t know how many posts I have read asking “I am looking for a location to hunt moose, not interested in getting a trophy bull moose just a “meat moose””.

If you saw two bulls a 55” and a 36” would you take the small moose because it’s better tasting or the old tough bull?

Depends on the brow tines... a 55 inch moose with 2 brow tines is much younger than a 36 incher with 7 tines...

some grow an antler large and fast due to diet... and some live so long the antlers Begin to shrink....

my case younger moose would win...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Non-Res

I'm with MDhunter - most of the areas I hunt have a 50" minimum for non- residents. Having said that, I have no room for a BIG set of moose antlers so my first AK moose antlers are on the wall. That one was 41 inches in an area with no minimum. My 61 inch antlers (used in my avatar) are in my buddies cellar.

Still, given the choice, I would shoot the biggest one available. The packing is way more fun.

Meat. Racks can't be cooked tender enough to eat.
    Now what ?

The first one or the biggest one if they are together and I have a decent shot. - I have never had a tough one and I have eaten a lot of them. The freezer is just about out of moose because I shot a young one last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I'm with MDhunter - most of the areas I hunt have a 50" minimum for non- residents. Having said that, I have no room for a BIG set of moose antlers so my first AK moose antlers are on the wall. That one was 41 inches in an area with no minimum. My 61 inch antlers (used in my avatar) are in my buddies cellar.

Still, given the choice, I would shoot the biggest one available. The packing is way more fun.
    You could always do what I did Phil - keep all the meat and give the antlers away.

Never cared for veal,I'll take mature

Default genetics

help determine brow tines, etc. here. I've got a set of pick ups that are around 45" and both have 7 brow tines! Just a young bull with good genetics. I've shot them all, spike fork to 70" bulls and they all ate the same to me. I will say the the spikes may be a bit more tender, but some of the best eating I've ever had was from 60"+ bulls. Plus like Marc said, a meat tenderizer does wonders if needed!

The worst bull I ever ate was a 40" bull that was pretty juiced up rutting. He tasted nasty and was tough. Try not to shoot them so late in the season anymore!

I'll let you know how my 60" bull tastes this fall!

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post

While there is more to be considered in a trophy than the spread, I probably would not consider the 55" a trophy for the wall. It's a great moose, but my wife is pretty clear we own a one moose house and I would look for something a little bigger. Like always I 'll shoot the moose that is easier to skin and pack out if it's not a monster.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast