Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fish Creek

Default Fish Creek

This year's Fish Creek numbers are up. Cumulative is significantly higher than the last 2 years. I'd like to see that opened.

Sorry, no graphic. GR8FL is good at posting them. Maybe he'll oblige.

Default Looks like a ways to go.

FYI

~tr

Tony,

Excellent and thanks. 10 year range and even have the escapement goals. So far this year looks to be tracking with 2002 and 2003. I know it was open in 1999 but was it open for dipping in those years too?

Tim

Default Fish Creek Openings

Here's ADF&G's info on '96-'03 Fish Creek harvesting.

SE=Standard Error
    RP=Relative Precision

Info source:
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/FedAidPDFs/fds04-31.pdf

~tr

More good stuff.

Count for 28Jul -4400
    Count for 29Jul -6000

Cum at 37000. Tracking more solid with 2002, 2003 now. Though I see by your harvesting chart, it doesn't appear it was open to dipping in those years. Go figure.

Default BOF would have to explain that one.

Board of Fisheries changed the management plan in 2002 to only allow dipnetting by emergency order when the escapement exceeded 70,000 fish.

So like you see in 2002 and 2003, even though there were well over 70K fish that passed the weir, dipnetting was not allowed. Like you say, go figure.

BTW I'll update the chart for awhile so the first post in this thread will reload with current info.

~tr

Default Up Fish Creek without a paddle, or net.

I called F&G in Palmer a few minutes ago and asked what the possibility of Fish Creek being opened this year were. The answer was, ďNOĒ. I have lived in this area since 1977 and seen Fish Creek go from horrible, to ho-hum, to good, to EXCELLENT, and back. At one time it was even open to personal use set net and those two years obviously were excellent. In the past few years I have seen them do some pretty odd things there such as destroying the pool that was by KGB road and spending God knows how much to do it, as well as development in the surrounding area which closed off most of the public access on the south side. Frankly, I havenít been down there even for hook and line stuff for several seasons now and it is a shame, as I saw them bring it back from horrible to excellent and back to what it is now strictly through managing the resource, both with F&G and the Highway Department, so I know it can be done. I even remember back a few years back where snagging was legal at the mouth and that was pretty cool until some knucklehead got on the radio and told everybody to come out to Fish Creek as snagging was legal and they were knocking them dead there. Well, the following weekend all Hell broke lose and it looked like an invasion. Fish and Game as well as the Troopers went nuts writing tickets for illegal parking and other violations. This lasted two weeks and suddenly snagging was closed all the way down to Anchor Point. Was it the mass at Fish Creek? I donít know, but it was the biggest CF I have ever seen during that two weeks, and I donít ever care to see anything like that again.
    I donít know if there is still commercial set netting down at Pt. Mackenzie or not, maybe that is part of the equation of Fish Creek, as has been pointed out often on this forum, the personal use dipnetters really only account for a small portion of the fish taken. I am not knocking the commercial guys, that is an entirely different scenario, but both some good things and very bad things appear to have been done regarding this fishery. What I am getting at is that we have the ability to bring a fishery back as well as the ability to ruin it, both from the governing sector as well as the public sector. It looks at this point like there will be no opening this year for dipnetting on Fish Creek, but things could change I suppose, though I wouldnít count on it. Please understand that we have the power to influence things both positively as well as negatively and what has happened here can happen in other areas as well. I would also like to hear any other experiences, insights and personal experiences folks have had at Fish Creek. Just because I live about five miles away doesnít mean I know all the answers by a long ways.

Ulhdwm,

Good history about the fishery from first hand perspective. I wonder why ADFG gave you a straight NO. If they have no intention to open it, then they should not have it designated as PU. If those numbers approach max escapement I'm going to contact my legislators.

Default Westside Knik Arm history

I participated with a family when they allowed personal use setnetting on the west side. It was pretty exciting picking fish from a little rubber inflatable when the tide changed.

The year after they closed the personal use setnetting, I put a boat in at the Port of Anchorage and ran up to Fish Creek. What a zoo! People were in canoes, innertubes, float tubes, you name it, and we in the boats were anchored stem to stern and side by side.

I don't remember the years, so maybe you know what year they ended the personal use setnetting.

13000 fish yeseterday. Cum at 50,000 now. 20,000 more to max escapement. Looks like its tracking as the best year out of the last 10.

Perhaps the reluctance ADFG has about opening it to PU is a crowd control issue. Still if they have no itention to open, it should not be listed as PU. Nor should they have it listed to comply with a BOF directive and then just keep it closed on their own. Like legislating from the bench.

And an EO opens it

My freezer is looking in good shape but I may head down just to watch. Be safe everyone and take lots of pics it may be a while before it opens again.

One thing that is interesting is whenever the comm guys are not fishing alot in cook inlet the upper cook inlet runs really improve.

KLICKMAN

Default But others will argue differant

I noticed thru the years that too. I was always told that the UCI Northern district never impeded the northern fisheries. YeT I had to wait at least 24 hours till the fish showed at fish creek. Living on the river and having Fish and game tell me things that don't make sence does have an impact on how I digest information. Of course setnets make a differance on how many fish get through, please don't insult my intelligence otherwise.

when bad info is fed to us civilians, we take offense to such propoganda.
    So when the public has a bad attitude about fish creek, maybe they are just reacting to what has already been put out there.

Smile Boat Launch

A bunch of us from Kenai are headed up tonight. Is there a good launch at KGB road?

I can see the mahem now. Knik swarmed with dippers from the pennisula. Locals clammer for restrictions.

So I checked out the eo saying it opens tomorrow till the 7th. Do people use regular salmon nets there or the kenai style nets? Last time I was there I was just a teen. I remember it to be a pretty small creek.

With the call I placed the other day to F&G in Palmer I sure can see people getting upset with false information, especially the locals like me. No, I am not saying you folks are not welcome, not that at all, but F&G was pretty difinite when I called that it wasn't going to happen. However, as you can see at the bottom of this post, it is open. At any rate, I sure don't know of any place to launch a boat near Fish Creek and I live out here. If there is one, someone please let me know. I suppose you could hump a small inflateable down the trail from the parking lot on KGB, but I am not sure it would be worth it. From what I heard, the last time it was open out here, there were boats in the creek, but darned if I know how they got there. Again, if I am wrong, let me know.

By the way, that gray glacial silt mud down there is nasty and can be dangerous as hell, especially to pets. Don't let yourself get caught in that crap with the tide coming in and don't take your pets down there to commune with nature. I am not going into details, but I was in on a dog rescue several years back at the mouth with the tide coming in, and me and the kid's dad who owned the large dog did manage to get it out just before it was too late, but it was nip and tuck. It could happen very easily to your pet with not so good results. Same with a person if not enough help were around.

As to it being open, well, here it is right off the state EO page, so it must be true. Good luck to all and keep it clean and sportsmanlike please. I don't know if I will be able to get my act together on this short notice, but you may see me there.

EO NumberNews ReleaseAreaBrief Synopsis2-RS-2-25-09 07/31/09 Northern Cook Inlet The Fish Creek Personal Use Dip Net Fishery will be open from 6:00 a.m., Saturday, August 1, through 11:00 p.m., Friday, August 7. Dipnetting will be allowed only between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 11 p.m. each day and only sockeye salmon are allowed to be taken; all other salmon species must be released immediately. Contact:Dave Rutz

Default dipping fish creek by boat

how is dipping there by boat? it's a short run from the ship creek ramp to fish creek. i know it starts getting very shallow that far up.

Default Could be interesting

I live just a few miles away. I may head down there in the AM to watch how it all goes. I may fish it on Sunday if the crowds aren't too bad. Ok, I may fish it either way.

AK Chappy

Default bring your fenders

It'll likely be fender to fender. Did it years ago and there was barely water between the boats. It was the Russian River of boat dipping, but truly an historic experience.

~tr

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast