Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CAN you haul 2 trailers at the same time?

Question CAN you haul 2 trailers at the same time?

your truck, then your two 4 wheelers on a trailer THEN a 14' lake boat behind that ? legal? kind of like a smei hauling doubles?
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Not exactly the same and no sure if it was legal but I saw a truck towing a fifth wheel and about a 20ft boat.

I've seen it done.... heard you need a permit though. Not too sure.

Default Triple towing

It looks like it is legal in the listed states on the http://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide...ple_towing.php website. Alaska is listed as one of the states that allow it, but at the bottom there are exceptions and they recommend calling the Department of Transportation or the State Police. There is usually overall length limits also. I have seen quite a few fifth wheelers with boats behind around here but best to check.

Default Yikes

Hats off to those that can pull that off (pun intended). Two points of axis to back up with? You can have it buddy.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Legal, perhaps. Advisable for the average Joe Driver... probably not. Advisable on most Alaskan Roads... Definitely not!

Note that the front trailer would have to be specifically constructed for having a second trailer behind it. Often the structure aft of the axles is fairly light duty with the frame designed from the axles forward to transfer the forces between the truck and the trailer axles. So the first trailer needs adequate structural framing for its entire length. Of course it also has to have a hitch installed at the back.

Another big concern will be the tongue weight of the second trailer on the tail of the first trailer, as the first trailer must still have appropriate tongue weight at the truck.

If you were seriously considering such a setup, the front trailer would just about have to be a fifth wheel setup. Imagine trying to backup tandem bumper-ball trailers. It would be nightmarish. And after watching the inability of such a large percentage of average Joe drivers to back up a single trailer, I'm fairly certain I don't want folks tracking around with two. Could you imagine the mess at the boat launch?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    If you were seriously considering such a setup, the front trailer would just about have to be a fifth wheel setup.
    Many other states require that the front trailer be a 5th wheel.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Cripes, it's scary enough seeing how most folks pull a single trailer

In addition to issue of turning and stopping the beast, I'd be concerned that the trailer in the middle of the train isn't designed structurally to have the additional load of the trailer behind it. And also the tongue weight of the rear most trailer would mess up the balance of the trailer in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Back Country Robb View Post
    Hats off to those that can pull that off (pun intended). Two points of axis to back up with? You can have it buddy.
    Relatively easy to pull down the road correctly. However, you do not back doubles up. You drop the end trailer and do you business from there.

My old hunting partner pulled his 5th wheel camper with a wheeler trailer behind it to Alaska from Utah. Apparently its legal to do all the way but he said the front trailer must be a 5th wheel. I thought he was nuts but his truck had the guts to do it.

Thumbs up I'm on it !!

Fairbanks @ wallmart has a "triple set up" in there lot right now. from KY! they would have toted it thur CANADA too ...I made the trailer that I tow MY toys with, so now i'm going to break out the welder again and slap a hicth on the back and have at it! I weld better than i can spell and i drive better than i can weld...

Just my .02, but IF I were to pull doubles, I'd have a electric brakes and a BrakeAway box for each.

Also consider if the rear trailer has a higher tongue weight than the first, it will fulfrum the first and take some tongue weight off of it..so it might fishtail having only 2 atv's on it. Hard enough correcting a fishtail with 1 trailer, but 2? Plus our roads suck! And too heavy of tongue weight will result in heavy steering.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Can't you get a 14 foot lake boat on your truck?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I'm not so sure that heavy is the right term, I would say light steering would be caused by heavy tongue weight in turn could result in loss of control. I guess its all in how your looking at it. That all said if your first trailer was a fifth wheel none of that would really matter. Follow the KISS method and you should be alright
    Last edited by AKBighorn; 07-29-2009 at 13:55. Reason: sp

Thumbs up it works but still lookin to improve...

need the "lake boats trailer "to get the boat back into the lakes...as of now i run street tires to "the parking spot' then change the tires on the boat trailer to "4 wheeler tires" ( i changed the axel length and BEEF'ED it up etc) hook the wheeler to the boat and off we go!

Many states allow this, the above links only show who does. The rules are different for each, so check with the Troopers or DMV offices. I've seen a LONG double in the Fairbanks walmart lot recently. I thought it was a triple, but its only a double upon closer inspection. Double ball setup too.

IF I was going to even attempt this, my front trailer would be a 5th wheel. There is no way that I'd do a double ball setup. Everything would have electric brakes and separate disconnects. I've had plenty of experience with trailers and keeping them on the road (or off), but to double up, the heavier trailer should be first, regardless.

Should someone want a double ball, ensure that each ball and hitch is properly rated. I've seen plenty of cheap balls out there only rated for a class 2 hitch being used on a class 4 or 5.

Exclamation Not legal in Alaska

Spoke to a tourist in Chicken and he said that it is not legal in Alaska.

Wink early post states /besides it's on the WEB so its true

StateHeightWidthCombined LengthTrailer LengthTrailer WidthTrailer HeightMH LengthTwo Vehicle LengthTriple TowSafety ChainsBreakawayFire ExtinguisherFlares SignsBrake Laws TrailersBrake Laws Towed CarsWipersOvernight ParkingMax Tow SpeedRide In 5th WheelRide Pickup CamperRide Travel TrailerSpeed LimitGVWAxleLicense RequiredReciprocity Class DYesAlaska14'8 1/2'75'40'8'6"14'0"40'75'yesyesyes (2)Not Statedyes5000Brake hook-up required if towed object over 3,000 pounds.Not Statedyes 55 yes PostedN/A ........well all this did'nt come out like i copyed an pasted .....

Quote Originally Posted by akriverman View Post
    Spoke to a tourist in Chicken and he said that it is not legal in Alaska.
    Really? A tourist?

Quote Originally Posted by atvalaska View Post
    StateHeightWidthCombined LengthTrailer LengthTrailer WidthTrailer HeightMH LengthTwo Vehicle LengthTriple TowSafety ChainsBreakawayFire ExtinguisherFlares SignsBrake Laws TrailersBrake Laws Towed CarsWipersOvernight ParkingMax Tow SpeedRide In 5th WheelRide Pickup CamperRide Travel TrailerSpeed LimitGVWAxleLicense RequiredReciprocity Class DYesAlaska14'8 1/2'75'40'8'6"14'0"40'75'yesyesyes (2)Not Statedyes5000Brake hook-up required if towed object over 3,000 pounds.Not Statedyes 55 yes PostedN/A ........well all this did'nt come out like i copyed an pasted .....
    I have no idea how to pick that apart

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast