Thread: Talketna area flyfishing

Default Talketna area flyfishing

Hello All,

I am a new to this forum and found it while researching an upcoming trip to the Talketna area for some flyfishing. Not sure which water might be the best during our trip up (Aug 28 - 30), but would like to get into some big bows, dollies and grayling as well as possibly a silver or two. Any suggestions? Thinking Clear Creek might be a good option from what I've read...

Thanks for any input on which creek / rivers might be better, guide or ferry up and self-fish? patterns? drys possible?

Quote Originally Posted by FishyBoy1 View Post
    Hello All,

I am a new to this forum and found it while researching an upcoming trip to the Talketna area for some flyfishing. Not sure which water might be the best during our trip up (Aug 28 - 30), but would like to get into some big bows, dollies and grayling as well as possibly a silver or two. Any suggestions? Thinking Clear Creek might be a good option from what I've read...

Thanks for any input on which creek / rivers might be better, guide or ferry up and self-fish? patterns? drys possible?

GW?????.....

Clear creek is good. If you have fished for trout and salmon before then a guide is not realy needed. If you have not then get one who is willing to show you how to fish without the boat, since you probably will not have one, for one day and do the others your self. For flies ESL, flesh and beads are hard to go wrong with.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Thanks Garnede,

Is Clear Creek the best choice or would the susitna, talketna or chulitna rivers be better choices? Any suggestions on what are of Clear Creek would be most productive or just get up and away from people as much as possible? We are experience fly fishermen and don't mind the hike if it gets us to productive waters.

The susitna is glacial and probably not where you would want to fish. I have no experience on the talketna or chulitna rivers. You can hike and get away from most of the crowds at Clear creek. Most of the people will be near the mouth. The fish will hold there even if they are not headed to clear creek/fish creek because of a curent break and a break from the turbidity of the Su. As you get up stream you will find quieter fishing grounds, but thicker brush. The salmon might be skidish from all of the hooks flying at their face at the mouth, but the torut and dollies will be less preasured.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Great. Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated.

Default if

the Talketna is "green", rather than silt grey, the mouths of any of the creeeks will be good fishing, also. Clear Creek will provide good fishing as far up as you can walk. Beads, flesh, & streamers.
    Gary

Default Overload!

Fished Montana Creek last night, 7:30-11. Caught to many pinks to recall, hooked a few silvers and kept 1 silver. Quite a few dogs in there too, they were a blast on the 4wt.

Thanks Gary, I know in the glacial rivers the tippet isn't really important as the visibility is just not good enough. Do you find that in clear creek or some of the other smaller tributaries that smaller tippet works better and flouro is mandatory? Also, might we find some dry fly action in that area as well?

Default I think

you can probably get by with tippets in the 6-8 lb range for fishing that area. I do like floro carbon for drifting beads & flesh, but have found that line breakage almost always occurs where it is tied to my mono main leader.
    Once the fish start keying on eggs, it would probably take a heck of a hatch to get them to take their eyes off the bottom. I'm not saying its impossible, just highly unlikely, IMO
    Good luck
    Gary

thanks again for the great info. Was just hoping to get some action on top. maybe find a grayling or two up there.