Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another bear gun thread!

Default Another bear gun thread!

There have been countless bear gun theads over the years so I am going to be specific. What guns/ calibers have you guys used to kill the big coastal Brownies? I am talking about what your shooting when your hunting them as opposed to protection in case of a chance encounter. What do guides recommend or demand their clients to carry?

My brother and I have debated this topic in the past. He has killed a big Brownie and did so with a 416 Rigby. He has invited me to come to your great state in a couple years to hunt the costal giants. Since he's been there and I ain't and since he's making all the contacts and I'm pretty much along for the ride I feel just a tad inclined to follow his lead. However I gotta sneaking hunch that we will lock horns over my choice of caliber. When it comes to cartridges he thinks real big. I plan on using a Ruger 77 MkII all weather in 350 Rem mag.. A good 250 grain bullet on top of a healthy dose of 748 or Reloader 7 should get me 2500fps and enough thump for anything walking. Thats my opinion and I am confident in that choice.

You guys are the experts so I'm going to let you make the call! Would you hunt the big uns with a 350 mag or would you feel undergunned?

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Would you hunt the big uns with a 350 mag or would you feel undergunned?
    I'm not expert, but your 350 will do just fine.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I'm not an expert either. I use a 375 H&H with 300 grain bullets. I'm currently trying to find the time to work up a better load. I also have a 8mm Rem Mag I wouldn't hesitate to use. Your 350 is not undergunned and I would not hesitate to use it.

I use a 45/70 for everything and your rig will work just as well.

340 Weatherby Magnum, 250 grain Nosler Partitions (Weatherby factory ammo), worked for me.

My 375 H&H has been a go-to caliber for me but the next bear will be with a forty of some description. I think your choice of 35 caliber with 250 grains at about 2500 fps is more than adequate. It is a good combo not far behind the world standard 375 H&H. Just shoot it enough to become proficient and make the first one count. I would choose a forty because I like forty caliber rifles and I have a couple new ones to try out. Your load is about what the 338 Mag will deliver and that is a well used caliber here for bears.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

There have been countless bear gun theads over the years so I am going to be specific. What guns/ calibers have you guys used to kill the big coastal Brownies? I am talking about what your shooting when your hunting them as opposed to protection in case of a chance encounter. What do guides recommend or demand their clients to carry?

My brother and I have debated this topic in the past. He has killed a big Brownie and did so with a 416 Rigby. He has invited me to come to your great state in a couple years to hunt the costal giants. Since he's been there and I ain't and since he's making all the contacts and I'm pretty much along for the ride I feel just a tad inclined to follow his lead. However I gotta sneaking hunch that we will lock horns over my choice of caliber. When it comes to cartridges he thinks real big. I plan on using a Ruger 77 MkII all weather in 350 Rem mag.. A good 250 grain bullet on top of a healthy dose of 748 or Reloader 7 should get me 2500fps and enough thump for anything walking. Thats my opinion and I am confident in that choice.

You guys are the experts so I'm going to let you make the call! Would you hunt the big uns with a 350 mag or would you feel undergunned?
    I will be interested to hear your results clone...

I have that exact same rifle and have settled on a 225gr. Barnes TSX load as I live in the condor range of CA and am limited to non lead bullets exclusively.

The load I have is 2700+ out of my Ruger if you are at all interested let me know and I will pass it along.

Best of luck on that hunt with the .350RM

I also think you're good to go with your choice. My personal choice has been the .375H&H with 270grn TSX's, and it has done well. Think about good bullet choices, distances you plan to shoot, etc. I try to keep my shots within 150yards.

On another note, my experience has been that bears that are already spooked and reved-up tend to be harder to put down, while bears that don't know you are there and you catch them napping or relaxing tend to go down easier.

Good luck, bear hunting is my absolute favorite up here.

Doc

I'm the guy that rolls my eyes when I hear people talking about toting small calibres for brown bears, but not that. Looks good to me. I think I would personally take a .375+, but I would imagine a .338 up would hardly be a mistake. I have a .325wsm that if worse came to worse I wouldn't feel terribly undergunned taking out.

Brett

Itís not optimal but I would not feel under gunned with a 308/30-06 class round for hunting browns, or most anything, if itís what I had. They have been taken quite adequately with 30-30s, 357s, and recurve bows . . . they are tough but not armor plated. If I was setting out for a big brown with a rifle I would want either a low velocity fat heavy bullet chucker like 45-70 or high velocity in the 300WM or better range with a very good bullet.

When I head out looking for brown next time I think it will be with my S&W 460V.
    I believe your 350 will do you very proud with a well placed quality bullet.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I love the 35 caliber cartridges and would have no hesitation in using a 350 Rem Mag with an appropriate bullet. I'd feel very confident with a 250 grain .358 at 2500+ fps for any animal in North America. I hope you'll have a great hunt. IMO the planning is at least as much fun as the hunt, and normally a lot drier .

I only know a few guides and they prefer bigger guns that can be shot well. If they feel a hunter is undergunned with his choice they will tell him its their job to back him and be prepared for them to give a fast back-up shot but they don't say your gun is to small unless it really is. If the hunter is useing a 338 or up they will give the hunter a second shot chance unless the bear is really moveing out.I know of one hunter that insisted his 270 with 130gr. was fine and they told him they would try to find him a nice six footer. Knew one hunter with a 8mm rem which is a good gun that after getting up real close (under fifty yards) on a between 8 to 9 foot bear that was passed because of bad rubs stopped on the way back to town and purchased a 375H&H and went to the range and praticed. He said he had no idea how big they really were,he ended up with a nice bear and made the killing/down shot in two shells.

You've obviously been a member of AOD for quite some time......who cares if your brother thinks you are undergunned. What you should do is just post a thread of the nice bear that you cleanly take with your 350 rem. mag. on your first bear hunt up here. Without a doubt.....that gun is everything and then some. My brown bear rifle is a 9.3x62 mauser. My all around carry rifle is a 358 winchester. That's as big as I'll ever go.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    I'm the guy that rolls my eyes when I hear people talking about toting small calibres for brown bears, but not that. Looks good to me. I think I would personally take a .375+, but I would imagine a .338 up would hardly be a mistake. I have a .325wsm that if worse came to worse I wouldn't feel terribly undergunned taking out.

Brett
    My .325 is going to Kodiak w/ me in 60 days. I am going to put down the biggest ..............................GOAT I can find

I take the same rifle w/ me for bear around home though and I am sure it would do the job if I set it forth on the taks of knocking over the big bears. I will be running 200grn accubonds on this trip BUT if I were going for bear I would prefer to have a TSX load done up for it. Your 350RM would definately be a better choice though!

Default shot placement is key

The last Brown Bear that I killed was with a 300 Ultra Mag. The shot was 200 yards. My 180 grain Swift Sciroco penerated both front shoulders and punched out the other side. The bear went right down. It squared at 8'-0". Not a huge one but his hide was outstanding. One shot one kill. Shot placement is the most important factor. I have seen a 9 1/2 footer go down with 2 shots from a .270

When I am hunting bears, I use a Weatherby 338 Win mag, launching a 250 grain partition.
    Now when I am in thick crap, and not bear hunting, I take my 45/70 guide gun every time. This gun only shoots 405 grain hard cast wadcutters.

Thumbs up a good one..

A .35 caliber rifle launching a tough 250 grain bullet at 2500 fps mv is a good bear round. Sounds like 35 Whelen territory. A proven big bear killer!

Default coastal brownie caliber

my buddy and i both got bears in May 2008 on Chichagof Island----my buddy used a 375 H and H---140 yards one shot----i used a 416 Rem--28 yards---one shot(did put 2 extra rounds in,but the first shot was a drop dead shot)---both bears slightly over 9 feet----just a personal opinion---i did not feel over gunned as the near kept feeding closer and closer---lol

I just printed off this thread and will hang onto it for the sake of winning the argument with big brother at a later date. Thanks!

Next question. What bullet? I've got a box of Hornady 250 gr Interlock's. Are they tough enough?

I just printed off this thread and will hang onto it for the sake of winning the argument with big brother at a later date. Thanks!

Next question. What bullet? I've got a box of Hornady 250 gr Interlock's. Are they tough enough?
    I always use premium bullets on big game, but I suppose that's not necessary some times. That said there is no GOOD reason not to use premium bullets on dangerous game! Some one may come up with a reason, but not a good one. I love Barnes TSX and have had good success with them. That said I would stick to Barnes TSX, Swift A Frames, North Forks, A Squares, or Nosler Partition. I don't think the partitions are quite in the same league as the others mentioned, but close enough to mention for sure. There are certainly other bullets but as far as mass produced none beat these. I'm sure others will recommend ones I have ommitted, but there are difference in bullet design and quality and they translate into practical results or lack there of. Dangerous game bullets have to perform when everything is against the bullet working!

Brett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast