Thread: Wind Help

Question Wind Help

I need some help understanding something that I guess should be elementary. I was watching a moose hunting video and the guide was talking about setting up on an open area of a burn, lake or clearing. He was saying that you wanted the open area to be the down wind side. Why would you not want that to be the up wind side to give you a larger area to view that is not being contaminated by your scent? I'm sure about what he was saying because it was said several time and I replayed it to be sure of what I had heard. Maybe I'm just a little slow, but could use some help in understanding this. Thanks for the help.....

Some people consider the direction from where the wind is coming from as down wind.

Default My understanding

I read your post a couple times to be sure I read it right, but I think he's right on by what you described. He DOES want to be on the down wind side. You are looking at everything upwind that way. Idea is downwind they already smelled your "man-stink" and moved on. Position self on downwind side and call/watch upwind. Seems like he described it accurately.

Default Huh?

I have not noticed moose to be that picky. I've called them in from every direction, even after hiking in and sweating up a storm. If they're ready, they're ready...no matter what you smell like...you just have to sound right (beat the brush, chuckle, etc...).

v/r

ssr

Yup, upwind the wind would hit you and blow over the field. Downwind the wind would cross the field and then hit you.

From the definition of downwind -

positioned relative to something in such a way that it can be smelled in the wind.
    I don't want to live downwind from a pig farm.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default this is killing me

I appreciate the help but let me try to explain more. He was showing a diagram of 2 hunters sitting on the edge of an open area. The wind was blowing across the hunter into the open area and that is what seems backwards to me. Any hunting that I have done you would want the wind blowing from the open area into your face.

Moose seem to be all over the chart as far as caring about scent. It seems I bump into more moose just out hiking not paying attention to the wind then when I'm hunting and trying to keep it in my favor? The wind in AK is seldom a constant from the same direction.

Just hunt how you usually hunt.

KK

Never had an issue with wind scaring off moose, i've been within 10 yards with the wind blowing right in there face and he just stood there looking at me. Then I shot him.

My experience has been it depends on the moose and location. In unit 13 where the country is open, moose tend to rely on their site for protection more than their nose.

In heavy brush areas like unit14 and 16 a small moose may or may not care what you smell like. ANY large (old) moose will run at a smell they do not like, they did not get old by being dumb.

Hunting with the wind in your is face is always the best method of hunting unless you are driving an animal.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    I appreciate the help but let me try to explain more. He was showing a diagram of 2 hunters sitting on the edge of an open area. The wind was blowing across the hunter into the open area and that is what seems backwards to me. Any hunting that I have done you would want the wind blowing from the open area into your face.
    Ok the guy is an idiot. Or at least teaching bad hunting practices. Even if moose do not care your best practice is to keep the wind in your face.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default Got the answer

I talked with the author/producer. The way he explained it to me is kind of reverse psychology. He stated that during calling, moose will always try to get down wind of calling location to identify it and since moose don't like to move out in the open, that by placing the open area in the down wind position you stand a better chance of bringing them out into the open for a shot.

What do you think?

Did they bag a bull??

Default yes

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Did they bag a bull??
    From the videos and what I can tell he is a successful guide for over 30 years and has take plenty of Moose.

Sounds like his setup worked then so I guess being setup downwind can get it done in the right situation.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    I talked with the author/producer. The way he explained it to me is kind of reverse psychology. He stated that during calling, moose will always try to get down wind of calling location to identify it and since moose don't like to move out in the open, that by placing the open area in the down wind position you stand a better chance of bringing them out into the open for a shot.

What do you think?
    hmmm... interesting. Maybe not the traditional approach, but I can see how it could be effective. I used to bowhunt elk a lot, and although I'd try to position myself so elk would come in upwind, I'd always try to leave myself a shooting lane or two in the downwind direction. Often when I was calling/scraping, elk would circle around downwind of my location to try and ID me (and often without making a sound) before really committing. I got my first archery killed bull when he was circling to get downwind. Definitely something to keep in mind.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.