Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vitamins while sheep hunting

Default Vitamins while sheep hunting

There has been alot of discusion on backpack wieght, type of backpack, food, etc. The list goes on. But while in the field hiking for endless hours for the ultimate goal, does anyone take a multi-vitamin while out? This is something I will be doing this year. I have many hours getting in "sheep" shape, and don't want to loose any edge that I may have.....Just throwing it out there.

Default For sure!

For any hunt - my pill kit always has a amble supply of the following:

I take them daily whether I think I need them or not.

multi-vitamin
    chondroitin glucosamine
    anti inflamatory - iburprofen or naproxen

I find my recovery time after a hard day is dramatically reduced if I keep these in my system and KEEP HYDRATED!

For sure! For any hunt - my pill kit always has a amble supply of the following:

I take them daily whether I think I need them or not.

multi-vitamin
    chondroitin glucosamine
    anti inflamatory - iburprofen or naproxen

I find my recovery time after a hard day is dramatically reduced if I keep these in my system and KEEP HYDRATED!
    +1 , any hunt I go on those items are with me.

Default Start Taking Them Now...

If the vitamins you take in the field aren't something you take every day, you may want to start taking them now, before your trip. Some vitamins say they take a couple of weeks for your body to start absorbing them, so start taking them now to get the full benefit while in the field.

I bring a couple of those Emergen-C packages as well.

Default ??

What is the chondroitin glucosamine??? And where can I get it??

Thank in advance,

James

James,
    Chon-Gluc helps keep your cartiledge properly lubricated. Joint-health.

Quote Originally Posted by bohntr21 View Post
    What is the chondroitin glucosamine??? And where can I get it??

Thank in advance,

James

Studies have shown that with proper dosages over long periods of time it can promote cartilage growth. This can slow down osteo arthritis. That said sporatic or short term use seems to be useless. So unless you have been taking it months in advance of a hunt at the proper dosages it will do no good on a hunt. NSAIDS, proper water consumption, and maintaining your electrolites while sweating profusely will do as much as anything. I don't see how a multivitamin could hurt (may not help, but couldn't hurt).

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    Studies have shown that with proper dosages over long periods of time it can promote cartilage growth. This can slow down osteo arthritis. That said sporatic or short term use seems to be useless. So unless you have been taking it months in advance of a hunt at the proper dosages it will do no good on a hunt. NSAIDS, proper water consumption, and maintaining your electrolites while sweating profusely will do as much as anything. I don't see how a multivitamin could hurt (may not help, but couldn't hurt).

Brett
    Good points... The vitamins and chon/gluco are yearly maintenance (all year). The anti-inflamatory I start a day or two prior to depature.

Vitamins are less of a concern than minerals. This year I'll take Gu Roctane in the daytime and a calcium-magnesium supplement with lots of water at night. That will help my muscles. Advil treats my sore joints.

Default carefull

Carefull with the Ibuprophen. It will upset your stomach. Its bearable but if your suddenly experiencing indigestion its probably the drugs. Expecially if your wearing a tight pack clinched around your mid section and eating MH for a week.

I take a multi-vitamin and of course I eat ibuprofen like M&Ms anyway so they go along regardless.

The chondroitin and glucosamine sounds like a good idea.
    Now what ?

Default Fly in the ointment

The trouble with glucosamin is that it's not an FDA approved drug. It is a supplement and not regulated with quality assurance. The european studies with it were done with a pharmacutical grade product yeilding mixed results.

If you can find a quality product.....good-on-ya. Be skeptical because everyone is in it for a buck.

Default I don't

I know a lot of people that bring multivitamins. Personally, I don't. If I was going to be in the field longer than 10 days, I probably would. Or, if I quit my REAL job and guide all sheep season. Then I would want to supplement my diet with more than just ptarmigan and sheep backstrap.

As it is now, the only "pills" that I bring are 115 nosler ballistic tips to "feed" to the sheep!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    The trouble with glucosamin is that it's not an FDA approved drug. It is a supplement and not regulated with quality assurance. The european studies with it were done with a pharmacutical grade product yeilding mixed results.

If you can find a quality product.....good-on-ya. Be skeptical because everyone is in it for a buck.
    Spot on! To add to that 90% of all vitamins are produced by the same four manufacturers. They just get packaged in different bottles at their respective companies. Also delivery method of suppliments can be crucial. Some work better if in jell form for example. Watch out. Most are a waste of money. Vitamins and supliments are never a substitute for regular exercise and a healthy diet.

2 cents

Brett

Default Glucosamine

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post

You can get USP (United States Pharmacopeia) tested and approved supplements- the Gluco-chondroitin tabs sold at Costco meet their requirements. For more info, check out www.usp.org/aboutUSP My wife's a pharmacist so she schools me on this stuff. Happy hunting!

Default Great advice....

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    If the vitamins you take in the field aren't something you take every day, you may want to start taking them now, before your trip. Some vitamins say they take a couple of weeks for your body to start absorbing them, so start taking them now to get the full benefit while in the field.
    No doubt about it. This is not the quick fix some folks make it sound like. Some would argue even a placebo effect is taking place since so little of most MVI's are even absorbed into the body. If taking them, definately start well ahead of time, not during the trip. I used to do the same with liquor. When heading out for the night on the town, I always got more effect from starting much ealier in the day.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Water Water Water.

My doctor recommend that I take 1000 units (1 pill) of vitamin C every day and that if you are going to be sick or are getting sick, my doctor recommend that I increase it to 4000 units the first day, 3000 the second, 2000 the third and 1000 until I am not sick or the sickness passes.

His stately is that if you flood your immune system with vitamin C, as indicated, then 50% of the time you will not get sick and if you are sick it goes away 50% faster. He also informed me, that you can not overdose on vitamin c as if you take too much, the body just gets ride of it when you pee (it turns dark yellow).

I have found the method so successful, that I have had many occasions when I knew I was going to be sick and started the procedure and did not get sick and have had many fiends get sick and start the procedure and tell me that the sickness went away much faster than normal.

I believe in it so much, that 3-4 weeks before each hunt, I start the procedure (4000, 3000...) and sometimes I stay on 2000 units right up to the hunt (if a lot of people arround me are sick) and after many years, I can say I ( and many of my buddies who follow the system) have not missed a single hunt due to sickness or even not feeling the best.

Just my two cents.

Exclamation Two types of vitamins:

Water soluable & fat soluable vitamins, remember that when you start a vitamin regime otherwise you'd just be pissing out some very healthy piss...

On wikipedia there's a list of both, I suggest that you take a look at them.

as far as chon & glucos. go I've never tried them, but I have taken other over the counter supplements & can tell you that some do work. Take for instance the vasodialtor L-arganine with NOS, that you can find in any GNC or health store...they WORK, & how do I know? Just ask the wifey... :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast