Thread: 44 mag load help

Default 44 mag load help

scored some sweet 325 gr hcl gc swc bullets today (thanks mauser) but cant find much load data. any help out there? really want to safely blast some of these, without guessing on charges. thanks
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final. You need to learn to be slow in a hurry! Wyatt Earp.

What powders are you considering? It's hard to suggest data without actually seeing, and maybe even measuring the bullets, but if it were me I might start with 18.5 grains of H110/W296, but that might even be a touch low. This is purely a guess but I would think you could safely get up to 20.5 or 21 grains.

You might even consider first starting with 2400 or 4227 since those are pretty forgiving on the low end of their respective pressure ranges. If I'm working up a load with a new or custom bullet where I can't find any authoritative data, I like to err on the low side for charge weight, and using something like 2400 or 4227 allows you to do that a little more safely than with H110/W296.

Just curious, but what's an "HCL" bullet style? I'm not familiar with that one.

Mike

I would reckon HCL = Hard Cast Lead.

Just a SWAG tho . . .

Default 44 mag

ill be using h-110 or w-296 as these are the only large pistol powders i have. i have some 300g gas checked hard casts that i loaded with 22.6g 110 with awesome accuracy and power. just not quite confident enough to guess at the charge for these heavier bullets. was hoping someone with more experience could shed some light on this for me. thanks
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final. You need to learn to be slow in a hurry! Wyatt Earp.

From Hodgdon http://www.hodgdon.com/basic-manual-inquiry.html
    325 GR. BTB LFN GC/ H110 or W298/ low is 20gr = 1264fps & 30,800cup/ high is 22gr = 1380fps & 38,100cup
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default load data

right on andy, thanks for the info and link.