Thread: old h 110

Default old h 110

how old a supply of powder would you use? got a half can of it from my grandpa, he estimates to be 30 yo at least. i did a side by side burn test with my new stuff and couldnt tell a difference. the powder is in a cardboard and tin can with a plastic stopper, and has been stored in a .50 cal ammo can all these years with misc other items. whatda you think?
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final. You need to learn to be slow in a hurry! Wyatt Earp.

If it's been stored in an environment with a stable, cool temperature it should be perfectly fine. If it looks and smells identical to new stuff, then it's almost certainly perfectly fine.

The only older (25+ years) powder I've had that seemed bad to me was an old can of IMR 4350 I got from my dad that had very fine, dark reddish powder on the kernels, and it had a funny smell to it.

Mike

Default S'okay

I'm currently using several pounds of 2400 that is probably around35-40 years old. Picked it up in the little square metal cans with the snap lids. It's fine. But, sometimes the composition of old to new powder is slightly different and may have a slightly different burn rate, so if you are going to use it with near max loads, drop it a bit first.

Default old 110

what would you think about mixing the 1/4 lb or so of the old stuff with a 1/2lb of new supply?
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final. You need to learn to be slow in a hurry! Wyatt Earp.

Quote Originally Posted by raoul duke View Post
    what would you think about mixing the 1/4 lb or so of the old stuff with a 1/2lb of new supply?
    I never mix powders and recommend that you do not mix them either.

Never mix different powder types, but it's common to mix different lots of the same powder type before working up loads. It is a way of taking two or more lot numbers of powder that will shoot slightly differently and making a custom lot that will shoot uniformly, in theory at least. I don't do it but it's an excepted and common practice to do so.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default powder mixing is a no-no

thanks fellas, just thought it could possibly equalize whatever effect 30+ years of storage had on it. i now know why i post these questions here... answers!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    The only older (25+ years) powder I've had that seemed bad to me was an old can of IMR 4350 I got from my dad that had very fine, dark reddish powder on the kernels, and it had a funny smell to it.Mike
    That is the norm for IMR4350 powder purchased in the 70's in the brownish can with red cap. The can made the powder go bad. I've read where some people still shot that powder and it shot fine. I dumped mine but now wonder if that powder was still good?? If you stored some of that powder in other containers, you will notice that the powder is still as good as the day you purchased it. I've still got about 4#s of that powder batch stored in two plastic jugs used on my powder measure and it's in great shape (been in the jugs around 30 years). I've never found any other powder to go bad after 40+ years of proper storage except that batch of IMR4350 and I still have ole powder I reload with on a regular basis and it shoots just as bad now as it always did.

I'd think you had lost your marbles.

You did a side by side burn test....what does that mean? How did you do that, pour some of each in a pile on and set on fire?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default lost my marbles?

how else would you compare them in a burn? i had the thought, asked the question, and already got, and acknowledged the answer. a little late chiming in on this one murphy.

how else would you compare them in a burn? i had the thought, asked the question, and already got, and acknowledged the answer. a little late chiming in on this one murphy.
    Aw he's just pointing out in his grumpy ole guy way that about all your test shows is that it's still flammable.

What important is how it burns under pressure. You find that out with a powder tester, in a lab, or by loading test rounds at the bench.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default still flammable

yeah, thats what i was curious about, will it burn. not to say mixing it sounded like a Good idea to me, it was just an idea worthy of posting this question. usually people know me a little better before they think i am that crazy!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Ask a Funny Question

Is this powder any good?
    Maybe?
    OK, how about I MIX it with powder I know is good?
    Will it make them both better?
    Please consider this carefully. A 1/4 can of Genuine, Antique, howbeit, questionable, H110 Powder is at stake.

There is some humor in these questions, and maybe Murphy wanted to keep things in perspective, (You never know where these threads will go.) so he gave you a funny answer.

I say "Dump It", and tell your Grandpappy, it worked jist fine. That's what us Grandpappys want to hear, anyway. We don't like to think our grandsons are wuff'in us, so we won't even question.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I say "Dump It", and tell your Grandpappy, it worked jist fine. That's what us Grandpappys want to hear, anyway. We don't like to think our grandsons are wuff'in us, so we won't even question.

Smitty of the North
    So you want your grandkids to fib to you, tell ya what you want to hear to spair your tender feelings.

Would have broke either of my Grandpasí harts if I had no more respect for them than that and I know firsthand not speculation!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    So you want your grandkids to fib to you, tell ya what you want to hear to spair your tender feelings.

Would have broke either of my Grandpasí harts if I had no more respect for them than that and I know firsthand not speculation!
    I said..... "We (don't like) to think our grandsons are wuff'in us, so we won't even question."

This makes us easy to fool.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

My question is, if old powder is bad, is it dangerous or does it just perform poorly???

Quote Originally Posted by Secondhand Bob View Post
    My question is, if old powder is bad, is it dangerous or does it just perform poorly???
    Yes, it's dangerous or just perform poorly. No way to tell which that I know of but to carefully try it. I don't think it's age as much as being poorly stored that can make bad powder. The way it goes bad is the burn rate changes . . . sometimes it gets slower and sometimes faster, depending on what powder and what has gone wrong with it. Most powder has coatings on it to slow or speed it and moisture can sort of rinse it off. Some powders, the older ones in particular, can be degraded by heat like being stored in a 180 degree tin shed in the Arizona sun.

The only bad powder I have come across was in surplus WWII 30-06 ammo that had moisture damage, my Dad made M1 Garand splinters with it. We pulled bullets and checked to find the stick powder was all stuck together like a dirt clod in about half of them. I have heard of the old cans with tin lids will kill powder but powder never sits around me long enough to go bad. I also read on some powder label that flake type powder starts to degrade after ten years then stick and ball last 30+ years, but I know for fact they all last way longer than that if well stored.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Old powder

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    The only older (25+ years) powder I've had that seemed bad to me was an old can of IMR 4350 I got from my dad that had very fine, dark reddish powder on the kernels, and it had a funny smell to it.

Mike
    Those are the two signs to look for. A reddish tint and funny smell. Either (or both) don't use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Secondhand Bob View Post
    Your premise is off-track. Old powder is NOT bad, it's just old. Good old powder will give the same performance today that it gave 60 years ago, however, if the powder has the characteristics described by Mike T – that might be a different story, as all the powder manufacturer reps I’ve talked to say you should get rid of it by dumping it on your lawn or the War Department’s flower garden. As previously stated, the only powder I've ever had go bad was the IMR4350 sold in the 1970's in that particular can - the can made it go bad, not the age of the powder. There's still people today looking for old Hodgdon surplus powder in the H4895 and H4831 variety and that powder was probably manufactured back in the 1930 era. Bullseye powder manufactured and sold in the early 1960's fly off the tables at gun shows if priced right and some of those individuals compete in 2700 pistol using the "old bullseye powder".

As far as mixing "good old powder" with new powder of the same kind such as old H110 with just purchased H110 - there is nothing to be concerned about if you mix the two relative to safety that I'm aware of.

Default new vs old

this post really blossomed beyond my wildest dreams! i am glad to have sparked this kind of response, because i learned a lot. for the record, i loaded ten 240 grain berrys plated HP's on both new and old h 110 and could not tell a difference on paper. i shot five of each through my 7 1/2" sbh, and 1894 marlin (5 standing, and 5 on the rest, per gun) thanks, but happy i didnt dump it as smitty suggested. grandpa was at the range with me, kinda hard to lie then.