Thread: Better Clam Guns?

Default Better Clam Guns?

Well, this last weekend my wife and I went down to Clam Gulch for some of the good clam tides. We were doing well, but the clam gun pulled apart (the handle came off the tube) after about 14 clams. We've had it out only a couple of times before.

I was wondering where might sell better clam guns...I was especially interested in some that might be a little larger diameter, or oval in shape. I've heard ones shaped like this might be better for clams that aren't straight up and down. The other gun we had tended to break some.

If I can't find something different I might just switch to shovels and learn those better.

Thanks a lot,

Travis

Quote Originally Posted by HiPlainsDrifter View Post
    Well, this last weekend my wife and I went down to Clam Gulch for some of the good clam tides. We were doing well, but the clam gun pulled apart (the handle came off the tube) after about 14 clams. We've had it out only a couple of times before.

I was wondering where might sell better clam guns...I was especially interested in some that might be a little larger diameter, or oval in shape. I've heard ones shaped like this might be better for clams that aren't straight up and down. The other gun we had tended to break some.

If I can't find something different I might just switch to shovels and learn those better.

Thanks a lot,

Travis
    make one out of pipe and such then you can pretty much have whatever specs you want i made 2 clam guns that are bigger then normal and have a larger diameter tube and better hole placement they work great and cost me less then the price of one clam gun at the store

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by HiPlainsDrifter View Post

Travis
    I wonder if the thing rusted from the salt water from the last time you used it.

I used a new one for the first time, and when I got home I hosed it off, and out, as a caution.

Look at the good side. You only had to clean "about 14 clams".

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

If you do decide to switch to a shovel I've found that you don't break as many clams if you dig ocean side to the clam and a few inches to the either the left or right of the clam. The first time I went I tried digging like the tide books say and broke my clams probably 7 times out of 10. The next time I dug behind and to the side, and broke I think 2 clams. Good luck!

Default Clam gun?

My buddy and I went to ninlchik clamming and we used the clam guns we got from mwr on base and we got 105 in 45 minutes. Some where only 3-4 inches deep. As far as cleaning them I would have paid $105 to have them cleaned. Learned a new trick to me anyway to clean them. I will tell everyone if interested.

Default I'm interested

Quote Originally Posted by fishnhunter View Post
    Learned a new trick to me anyway to clean them. I will tell everyone if interested.
    My best method of clam cleaning so far is to have my brother do it... and now he's far, traveling... so please, yes, I'm interested in ways of making this easier.

Do you have open sights on your Clam GUN......? or a variable power scope....? Maybe you just need to sight-in your clam cannon...... (Intended to be a shallow effort at humor, not a personal attack)

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    Do you have open sights on your Clam GUN......? or a variable power scope....? Maybe you just need to sight-in your clam cannon...... (Intended to be a shallow effort at humor, not a personal attack)
    Also what guage clam gun are you using?
    I like my Remington 870 pump action clam gun loaded with 00 3" magnums!!! Clams can be very dangerous when wounded so don't go after them with out enough gun!!!!

I wish I could just use my 870 on clams...one less gun I'd have to own, and it'd probably more reliable. I'm afraid you'd lose most meat on all but the biggest clams, though.

I figured it must be a rust issue too, but when I looked over the thing, it just looked to break clean at one of the welds. There didn't seem to be much rust around it. I had been rinsing it in water afterwards last year, also.

And, I think everyone would be interested in better ways to clean clams!

Thanks for the help, everyone!

MaryLeiLannei - Thanks for the tips about digging. I think that might be the better way to go. We were wanting to try it out anyway, since my wife had trouble pulling a clam gun out (she's 'lil).

I guess you could say the clam gun had too much "recoil" for her. By the way, I love clam gun jokes...I had to make up my own stupid one to try to get in on the action!

Travis

Do you carry it with one in the chamber......????? There could be a bearded clam behind every bush.........

Default Don't pull so hard

I have found that, after whipping out my gun, if I don't jerk on it so hard when removing it -that I find less broken meat (clam).

Slow and gentle will get your clammage out in one piece - nobody likes sand in their clam!

Boil them to make them easier to clean.