Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ranger vs. "regular" 4-wheeler

Default Ranger vs. "regular" 4-wheeler

Anyone out there replace his/her "regular" 4-wheeler with a 4-wheel Ranger? I have a 700 Kawasaki Prairie, but I'm thinking of selling it and getting a Ranger because I have a family of 3 people. Any Ranger owners with regrets, or can you do as much with a Ranger for hunting and exploring purposes?

I realize that the Rangers are heavier/bigger/wider, but would like feedback on their off-road ability and dependability.

Thanks.

Myself and many friends have rangers, bottom line ... Their simply badass and take u places. Best rig I've ever had. Never turned around due to the trail, I use the weight to me advantage and make my own.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Ranger vs reg...

I changed out my two polaris sportsman 6X6 for a ranger 6X6, with a heated cab, and every attachment, along with a 2up polaris. I used the ranger last year for hunting with mixed feelings. Yes, it seats 3 people, or 3 plus a kid easily, but you don't get the feel of riding. it's more like being in a car. It's not super comfortable on the trails compared to a regular wheeler in my opinion. But the plus side was that it rained nearly every day of moose season last year, and I was able to get out of it when I wanted to, and still be able to hunt comfortably, and it worked very good for keeping my wife and kid out hunting with me.

So, I guess I'm on the fence. Some days, I like the regular, and some days (the crappy ones) I really enjoy the ranger.

Do what I did and have one of each so you can make the choice each day. I really do miss the sportsman's 6X6's a lot though. I'm thinking of getting one of those new shaft drive ones.... .but I digress....

Good Luck!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

if you have a family don't even hesitate, get the ranger.....It is nice to enjoy the day BS'ing with a buddy (or 2) as well... your only regret will be that you didn't do it sooner....

------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Romcho View Post
    Anyone out there replace his/her "regular" 4-wheeler with a 4-wheel Ranger? I have a 700 Kawasaki Prairie, but I'm thinking of selling it and getting a Ranger because I have a family of 3 people. Any Ranger owners with regrets, or can you do as much with a Ranger for hunting and exploring purposes?

I realize that the Rangers are heavier/bigger/wider, but would like feedback on their off-road ability and dependability.

Thanks.

sorry no can do...

mine go places rangers, Kawasuckies, and Yamahahaha's can only dream of
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I had one. It was a fantastic work machine. It was cool to be able to talk while cruzing the trail. It was very limited on which trails it could be comfortably used on and I always pushed its limits. Once stuck it can take alot of work to get out. In mud you'd better have some good 'anchors' to winch on. When pinned up against trees on off camber trails you destroy the doors and windshields. One of the annoying things was always having a wet rear from water crossings. Some days I miss it but not often. If I had unlimited funds I'd have one on tracks with a top, no sides, a half windshield and a rollbar extended to the rear of the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Romcho View Post
    can you do as much with a Ranger for hunting and exploring purposes?
    Thanks.
    simply put...Yes...
    pull my finger....

Smile Love My Ranger!

Okay, 20 miles, only 10 miles of trail, 2 guys (myself and buddy) and our gear for a week, and a bull moose out all in one trip. Enough said, can't do that with any four wheeler. I sold my Brute Force and the wife & kids machines last summer to get the ranger. I'll NEVER go back.

Hunted with a friend last year in a 6X6 model. Went places I could only dream about with my griz. Went through alder patches like they weren't there and was able to go across tundra swamps and not even spin a tire or get high centered like you do on a 4-wheeler.

Only real drawbacks I see with them is that you can't go down tight trails in the woods and you can't slide and body steer them like a 4-wheeler. What the heck, they really aren't designed for that kind of riding anyway.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Kort View Post
    Okay, 20 miles, only 10 miles of trail, 2 guys (myself and buddy) and our gear for a week, and a bull moose out all in one trip. Enough said, can't do that with any four wheeler. I sold my Brute Force and the wife & kids machines last summer to get the ranger. I'll NEVER go back.

wanna BET!!!!!!!!!!!????????

already done more then one..

learn to load them... and will still get MORE place then any side by side...

there comes a certain angle of inclination ... all side by sides stop for some reason....

to date... as far as i know mine is the FIRST 4 wheeler on top of Rex dome..... of course i high mark them too....much to the dismay of my partner
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    wanna BET!!!!!!!!!!!????????
    already done more then one..

learn to load them... and will still get MORE place then any side by side...
    vince, go ahead and load your wheeler to the hilt...then I'll put your whole loaded wheeler into my ranger and mosey on down the trail looking for more stuff to throw in the back..lol......

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    . of course i high mark them too...
    guarantee you won't himark my ranger........I sure would be fun to find out for sure though...lol...

AKMud has some video footage from a little hill out at last years poker run.....perhaps he'll post it....

throw your wheeler in the back of your pickup next time you cruise through town....I think we'd have a good time.....lol
    pull my finger....

vince, go ahead and load your wheeler to the hilt...then I'll put your whole loaded wheeler into my ranger and mosey on down the trail looking for more stuff to throw in the back..lol......

LOL a bunch of those anderson boys said the same thing....

they still have yet to get down and up the last hill ......

meet on face book here

Default ???

Vince, so you are saying that you have loaded a weeks worth of your camping and hunting gear, two guys, and a bull moose out of the woods on one four wheeler all in one trip? Thats impressive, but I don't buy it, and if so I bet it was very uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kort View Post
    Vince, so you are saying that you have loaded a weeks worth of your camping and hunting gear, two guys, and a bull moose out of the woods on one four wheeler all in one trip? Thats impressive, but I don't buy it, and if so I bet it was very uncomfortable.
    I believe it...he's not a big dude and has a whole gaggle of kids so he's use to 'uncomfortable'...lol........nonetheless, he still isn't out climbing/out hauling a 6x ranger...
    pull my finger....

I'm sorry Vince but there is no way you are going to out haul and out climb a Ranger or Rhino. I've owned a couple different atv's and a Rhino. Let me tell ya, there's not much stopping a well setup RUV except the bottomless mud. That might be there achilles heal but I've watched AJ do a decent job driving his Ranger into moose camp in those unit 20 swamps.

But then again, last time I checked there's not a whole lot of mud on the Ferry Trail.

tjm, just curious what the cost was on that cab setup. The more I think about a new wheeler the more I consider getting a Ranger 6x6 w/ an enclosed cab and a heater. It just seems ultimately useful for a much larger part of the year. I could fit all three of my boys in one w/ me for sure to go out wheeling, fishing and hunting.

NOW there you all go ....

telling me i can't and won't...

so that puts me in perdicament....

cause now once again.. i have to and will

Susi Vinson 500 with rack extensions.... will carry one moose 26 miles through the mud like you never seen...

will my small wagon i can carry 2-3 weeks supplies easy.

and who said anything about ferry trail grem? i only go that way with the kids... it is so much more convenient to leave from my back yard in clear

and you all know what the Rex looks and gets like... well the rest of the country is the same stuff...

or more is it that i have yet to find anyone WILLING to ride where i will go... come on out... i will scare scare the poopies outa ya..... Promise

Dont get me wrong .. those side by sides are nice and comphy... but your not getting me off my bike.

meet on face book here

Polaris 6-wheeler Sportsman versus a Polaris 6-wheeler Ranger? If the trail was smooth the Ranger is great. More comfortable for the passenger in any case. If the going gets rough, you want to go faster, or if going solo? The Sportsman will spank the Ranger in handling, traction, speed, and comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Polaris 6-wheeler Sportsman versus a Polaris 6-wheeler Ranger? If the trail was smooth the Ranger is great. More comfortable for the passenger in any case. If the going gets rough, you want to go faster, or if going solo? The Sportsman will spank the Ranger in handling, traction, speed, and comfort.

AGREED They both have have their place. Sportsman for me. I don't trust going with just rig back in anywhere as well. The whole family or camp in one rig is just a bad idea. Whether it be a break down, or a bad stuck, you are just asking for trouble. Therefore I chose the smaller more agile Sportsmans. The heated cab would be nice on the rangers, but if it comes to that, then I just take my toyota buggy!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    I agree. My next wheeler will be a sportsman 6X6. Getting inbetween tight spots in trees across swamps. If most in your family would rather ride than drive a wheeler than the Ranger is a no brainer. Also the warm heated cab of the Ranger would be a VERY nice feature to have. Also in water crossings as the Ranger weighs more than than a wheeler or even a 6X6 by quite a bit it is less likely to get drifted downstream during creek crossings.

However, in the bumps off trail (alder crashing and tussocks and rock crawling)it is always smoother when the person is stradleing the vehicle (fourwheelers and 6X6) as you will not rock side to side as much as a side by side and the riders are better able to move with the vehicle. Also being able to stand up on the floorboards lowers the center of gravity of the vehicle sometimes just enough with the help of leaning to make things a little less tippy. Yes I can haul out a whole moose plus gear for a week with my trailer in tow, yes I know you don't need a trailer with a ranger. But I also would much rather have two wheelers than a single ranger simply because the places I go if I get stuck there is often nothing to winch to and having the lead wheeler find the way across a bog and able to be pulled backwards by the wheeler behind when they don't chose the right way across the bog a couple times is very nice. And in the slop mud or tundra sometimes if you are stuck back enough with a 1000+ pound ranger the best anchor system (pul-pal or danforth) will not sink in enough to pull it out. Also if you are way back in the middle of no where and one ATV breaks down you still have one that can get you out. Plus you can put two 6X6 or wheelers on a common 8X10' trailer.

Both are great vehicles for their intended purpose. Just depends on what your families needs are in a off road vehicle. Good luck!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast