Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling with Deep Six Diving Sinkers

Question Trolling with Deep Six Diving Sinkers

I've never used these divers before, but we're going on on the Sound for some shrimp and silvers on Thursday so I thought I'd give 'em a try. We don't have downriggers installed on our boat yet, so I'm thinking this is my best shot for trolling. We'll also try to mooch for a while as well, but I'd like to try these since they've been sitting in my storage room for a few years.

Any tips to make things go smoothly from those who have used them? Anything to avoid?

Default Proper Adjustment Is The Key

All of them that I have seen have a tension adjustment screw on the side of the release - make sure it's adjusted properly to release. Most of the time when I am fishing with two downriggers, we drop one off the back (in the middle) with a deepsix. There has been many times this method caught just as many fish as the downriggers. Try to use a line counter reel and keep track of the depth your setting it.
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Brian, I have gone to the Les Davis fishing website and they have a chart of line out to lure depth, and boat speed. Has come in pretty handy. Like nut said, the adjustment needs to be checked for tension. For silvers, I set a little on the light side. I would try some with just a single bait, spoon or spinner behind the diver and try adding a small flasher (8" Abe and Al is my favorite) or dodger. I actually haven't installed downriggers, and prefer to run divers. Good Luck.

When I am in Seward, and the diver is catching fish, I put the downriggers away since the divers are so much more easier to use.

I count them out using two foot pulls off of the reel. 20-40 should do it. Three feet to the flasher then two to the lure/fly/bait should be a good start. Setting the shorter ones forward and the longer ones aft will keep things separate. Good luck.

Past two years fishing for silvers out of Valdez I have just attached my flasher right to the diver and ran a 3-4 foot leader from the flasher to my herring rig. I know it's not the way it's supposed to be done but we caught 4 limits of silvers (myself,wife, and 2 kids) every time we went out. According to my GPS, I trolled about 3 MPH with about 40 feet of line out.

Also noticed that the plain shiny/polished flashers outfished the ones with the reflective pattern tape 3 to 1.

Hit fish alley down south a bit from the bay (you know the bay), troll some pixees used all sorts of crazy things for some reason the dude with pixees always did the best. Otherwise banana sinkers are still money for trolling, they worked in the 50s and they work today.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

A Deep-Six is still my favorite "old school" method... at my trolling speeds (closer to a commercial troller and less like a dude in an open Lund skiff) the Deep-Six will get you down farther than bananas.

As has been mentioned, make sure the tension on the release is set appropriately.

In my younger, sloppier days (when I didn't care about leader length, coordinating colors, setting up a good multi-line spread, etc.) I used a 6' halibut rod strung with 80# dacron attached to a large Deep-Six to troll for kings. Just unpack your favorite 5/0-6/0 mooching rig, tie a swivel on the free end, hook it to the Deep-Six and slap a whole (blue) herring on the sharp end of the rig. The only real "art" to the whole setup is how you hook up the herring to get the best roll... To me, it's the ultimate KISS setup for trolling kings... very few variables, so you can spend all day adjusting the roll of your bait and knowing almost everything else is the same each time.

Every non-downrigger fisherman has their own magic number of pulls to let the line out too... mine's somewhere between 30 and 40... note that a "pull" of line is commonly accepted to be measured by grabbing the line at the reel, and pulling to the first guide. Some let the line slide in their fingers a bit (as I do) and pull past the guide... it's about 3 feet of line all said and done.

Okay, enough salmon advice from me... I've gotta get back to rigging up this albacore tackle!

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by jtm9 View Post
    Brian, I have gone to the Les Davis fishing website and they have a chart of line out to lure depth, and boat speed. Has come in pretty handy. Like nut said, the adjustment needs to be checked for tension. For silvers, I set a little on the light side. I would try some with just a single bait, spoon or spinner behind the diver and try adding a small flasher (8" Abe and Al is my favorite) or dodger. I actually haven't installed downriggers, and prefer to run divers. Good Luck.
    I went to the site, but couldn't find the chart. Can you provide a link? Sounds handy.

Thanks for the advice, folks. As for setting the tension correctly, so I err on the side of a light release and go tighter if it trips before a fish strikes? Also, I will probably bring some herring along, but was thinking of trolling one pole with a simple crocodile spoon or vibrax behind a dodger. Should I just stick to herring?

Case - The trolling speed is what had me thinking deep six instead of banana sinkers in the first place. I'll be on our commercial boat, and I just can't idle as slowly as something with a small kicker pushing it. Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Thanks for the advice, folks. As for setting the tension correctly, so I err on the side of a light release and go tighter if it trips before a fish strikes? Also, I will probably bring some herring along, but was thinking of trolling one pole with a simple crocodile spoon or vibrax behind a dodger. Should I just stick to herring?

Case - The trolling speed is what had me thinking deep six instead of banana sinkers in the first place. I'll be on our commercial boat, and I just can't idle as slowly as something with a small kicker pushing it. Thanks for the advice.
    Besides herring (whole or cut plug), try a hoochie (green/chartreuse is my preferred color)

Trolling fast is not a disadvantage, if your lures work at speed. On the contrary, it's a good thing to cover water. We've had great success with the largest two sizes of Apex lures, in gaudy chrome and green prism patterns. The longest skinny one trolls the best at speed. Coyote spoons in the 4.0 and 5.0 sizes work fine too, as do Krocodile spoons.

You'll know if your deep six is set too tight if you're unable to "trip" it by jerking on your rod while trolling. Pry the little fingers apart a bit, and try again.

Regarding flashers, don't get confused on dodgers and flashers. Dodgers (i.e. anything shaped like the "les davis herring dodger") is meant to troll slow an swing back and forth. They work well trolling slow. At a faster troll, flashers (i.e. anything shaped like the original "hot spot" flasher) work best, and can be pulled up to 4+ knots. A good rig for a diver trolling fast is to run 3' of leader off the back of the diver to an 8" hotspot-type flasher, then a 20" to 24" leader to a fishy-colored hoochie.

I've killed kings and cohos using a deep 6 and a 6" Coyote flasher w/herring... It's a fun way to fish.

Avoid kelp beds and floating kelp.. BTDT.

I've done very well with dipsy divers... I'm sure they are pretty close to the same never used the deep 6's. But I would add use a rubber snubber...helped out quite a bit when kings came around on lighter gear...atleast for us it did! Your mileage may vary here. I drug a green and silver or blue and silver coyote spoon behind them...and 2 bait rigs or flasher and hoochie rigs on the downriggers....yup 4 rods. I think I could add two more comfortably, to bad I'm done chartering .

+1 for Dipsy Divers. I love to pull a Blue Dolphin behind one and a Green Dolphin on another. Two great spoons for Coho or Kings.

Brian,

I too am heading to the Sound tomorrow. I will try and catch the 7:30 tunnel. Where are you headed? My first destination is S. Culross. If we are near each other hale me on 16 "My Show". Blue and white Boulton with a 150 Honda.

Jeff

Default LesDavis Deep Six No.0 trolling divers

Does anyone know where I can buy some of these? Looking for the No.0 in red and maybe 3 or 4.

I don't know if they are still being made but they are excellent for salmon trolling.

Thx for any help.

You can buy them directly from LuhrJensen. Local availability varies a lot with region and location, less available now that so many folks are using downriggers. I know of several charter boats that use them to add "extra" lines off their sterns between downriggers. They probably won't admit it in public, but in private they confide that the lines with Deep Sixes often catch more fish than the downriggers.

These folks have them at deep discounts.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    You can buy them directly from LuhrJensen. Local availability varies a lot with region and location, less available now that so many folks are using downriggers. I know of several charter boats that use them to add "extra" lines off their sterns between downriggers. They probably won't admit it in public, but in private they confide that the lines with Deep Sixes often catch more fish than the downriggers.
    When using divers, do you know if most people still use the big flashers too, or just a lure behind the diver...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast