Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kenai Subsistance Moose???

Default Kenai Subsistance Moose???

What kind of BS is going on with this Kenai Federal Subsistance Moose hunt? I work with a guy who has a father in Ninilchik who shot a 66" bull at the end of October on some Federal subsistance hunt for rural residents on the Kenai Peninsula. When did Ninilchik become rural? You can be at Fred Meyer's in Soldotna in 30 minutes. To make it worse, he shot it on Federal Land on Funny River Road just outside of Soldotna. What do we need to do to halt this kind of !@#$ hunting. If you can't legally harvest a moose during the month long moose season, you sure don't need to be picking on the bulls while they are vulnerable at the end of the rut. I don't want to sound like I'm whining because I can't subsistance hunt (my son and I both harvested moose this fall around Homer during regular season), I'm just pissed because a Federal Hunt like this exists.

Angry I heard this also!!!

Thanks for posting this. I heard of several people talking about this but I couldnt find any info on it? I was told by some one that had flown over in a plane, that "many BIG bulls were being taken." I am pi$$ed also. Rural area??? You have got to be kidding me!!!!!!!!!!! Its in our back yard!

Just wait, you have only seen the beginning of this deal. The Feds are expanding these hunts to all reaches of the state, on Fed property. It is unreal, the number of animals harvested on these exclusive seasons. Most do not get reported to the state bios, so there is a tremendous gap in communications. If you live within an established town or suburb (unless you have personal connections) on the road connected system, you are out of the picture. They sometimes open seasons with short notice, so there will not be a public outcry. Most Alaskans don't know this is happening in their backyards. It is not well published and rarely discussed. There is nothing I know of that you can do the change the system. I and others have spent a lot of time, energy and money to do just that, to no avail.

Angry Kenai Subsistence

I agree with HA. What a terrible idea. Allowing some to hunt moose after the leaves have dropped and they have come near town and roads due to snow and cold is pretty much a slaughter. It sounds more like a trophy hunt than subsistence. Having the general season hunt early is one of the biggest protective provisions for the big bulls which are important for maintaining the population. I also agree that there is no rural on the Kenai. A large portion of the population here lives outside city limits. In Seward, more people live outside town than in town for instance. Even people who live across Kachemak Bay have power and phone. So who made this arbitrary rural designation anyway? I could find nothing about this hunt on the internet. Anyone have any info so we can begin to raise a stink?

Default agree on the B.S.

I do believe this is the moose in question, this bull was taken down on funny river road under the subsistance hunt you speak of. Get ready for this, this picture was taken while it was being SCORED FOR THE BOOKS! LMAO! Unreal, I agree there should be no moose hunting from oct 1-aug 20 period! these Oct and Dec hunts can really hammer out a herd of critters.
    Last edited by AKDSLDOG; 04-03-2007 at 21:41.

Default Green score.

green score of 224-5/8

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    I could find nothing about this hunt on the internet. Anyone have any info so we can begin to raise a stink?
    A good place to start is at the USFWS's Office of Subsistence Management website at

http://alaska.fws.gov/asm/home.html

It's been around now for nigh on to 2 decades.
    He fears his fate too much or his desserts are small who fears on just one touch to win or lose it all.

well we need to ammend our constition so we can define who is rural and take back controll of our state. I guess that won't happen for at least another 4 years. The rules state that rural prefernce should happen in times of shortage, but there is no freaking shortage, and the feds just make these BS hunts to punish alaska for sticking to our constitution. I can think of one fedral "subsistence" hunt that the animals actually can't be hunted by anyone and that the afognak elk in the NWR there, and those are introducced. Its BS and we need to demand that our state passes an ammendment so we can controll this and decide who is rural.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    The rules state that rural prefernce should happen in times of shortage,..
    Uh, not really. ANILCA Title 8 specifies a rural priority for the consumptive use of fish and game. That priority is written into the law (upon which the federal regulations are based) and exists whether or not any shortage of fish and game exists. The piece of Title 8 that kicks in during shortages is toward the end of the legislation and allows non-rural hunting to be curtailed. Without the shortage, rural hunters still have priority which is usually provided by giving 'extra' seasons.
    He fears his fate too much or his desserts are small who fears on just one touch to win or lose it all.

fair enough.

Default subistance hunt records

Subsistance is one very diificult subject under its own. However as it relates to Boon and Crocket it is wrong. Hunting an animal is about finding the animals at the same time in the same area with the same tools as all of the competition. That is what boon and crocket is, it is a competition. People hunt competivly to get there name in the book, therfor it is not fair to give them better access, longer seasons or any other thing that enhances there chances. The playing field must be fair. There for it is my opinion that we are looking at two different things in this thread, one is subsistance and the other is boon and crocket records. The records must use areas open to everyone with an equal chance to get a permit. Subsistance does not grant this same equal chance. Besides in a subsistance hunt you can not even make soup out of the horns! Chef

Default another angle to it

what if the guy had shot a paddle bull?

point is this "subsistence " is the biggest load of crap to come down the pike in forever. no matter what size bull it is.

who really susbsists solely on the land?
    how do rural residents up north get cereal, onions,milk, pancake mix,,tomato sauce,etc.

it's all a pathetic joke that has no punch line.

Subsistence is by law based on location, culture and tradition. So don't apply any other criteria to it, if you want to try and understand it. Money, economics, hunger, want, need, desire all have absolutely nothing to do with it. Sen Stevens ramrodded this through, to get the feds to approve all the oil development. Wish some of you fired up guys would have been here when it went down, we needed the help to fight it, but there weren't enough of us.

AKres is right if not for the pipeline this wouldn't be an issue. I have no problem with traditional hunters, they should be restricted to traditional weapons and means of trasportation though.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    I do believe this is the moose in question, this bull was taken down on funny river road under the subsistance hunt you speak of. Get ready for this, this picture was taken while it was being SCORED FOR THE BOOKS! LMAO! Unreal, I agree there should be no moose hunting from oct 1-aug 20 period! these Oct and Dec hunts can really hammer out a herd of critters.
    That picture is mine and I posted it on http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php. I took it as my pard scored the bull. The bull is a biggie and I accompanied my pard out of curiosity about the bull.

B&C will accept an animal that is a legal kill and fair chase. This bull fits that regardless of opinions of "fairness". This bull will probably not make all-time after drying, but will make the "awards" designation.

I disagree with this hunt as subsistence as well. In other areas of the state, my understanding is that subsistence antlers must be cut making them ineligible to be scored - same as proxy hunts where there is an antler restriction. I think this is a start that meat bulls should not be scoreable as trophys and would make a realistically passable game board regulation. The cut can be cosmetically repaired to be hung on a wall, but will stay out of the book. Curtailing the hunt is a bigger can o'worms.

--Mike

Default B&C

The Boone and Crockett "Book" wasn't started as a competition. It was started to recognize exceptional animals of all the big game species in North America as it was feared that someday many of them would become extinct.

It was turned into a competition by hunters like y'all and commercial interests that want to make money off of hunting. If an animal is taken legally whether by a regular season hunter, a drawing hunter, or a subsistance hunter it still deserves to be recognized if it is exceptional.

The sad thing is they only recognize exceptional male animals of a species, except for an animal where the skull is the measurement used such as bears and cats.

What would be cool would be for more of you to forget about records and to think more about the real meaning of hunting, to feed your family. In that regard, subsistance is closer to the real thing than all the games that are played for the record book. Records are all about ego.

If it wasn't for that d#@ned oil they found up north, and trophy (ego) hunters, those of us that were here before the pipeline wouldn't have to think about things like rural priority and subsistance.

2dux
    Good point. I was trying to draw the distinction between measuring and entering for B&C, and a subsistence hunt. I went along because it was a beeg bull.
    More pictures here
    http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...page=0#1073919

The problem many see with this hunt is that it's merely a special hunt for a select few. Additionally it is in an area that is permit-only as a trophy hunt by F&G regs.

Unhappy Kenai subsistence

Kenai mike:
    Do you have anymore info on that hunt? I cannot get the link RB provided to work. Maybe I qualify for that hunt who knows. I have never heard anything about any late season subsistence hunt on the peninsula before this.
    Thanks,
    Pete

Solly-
    The link worked for me. Mebbe this is what you're looking for;
    http://alaska.fws.gov/asm/pdf/wildregs/unit15.pdf

also-
    Black bear - 3 per year! in 15A&C not one first half and 1 second half.

Unhappy Thanks

Thanks KA, that one works. Although it leaves me out of the hunt, unless I move to ninilchick. Boy how arbitrary can you get? Ninilchick residents can hunt and Anchor Point residents cannot? Seldovia can hunt and English Bay and Tyonek residents cannot? Port graham and Nanwalik sure, but Ninilchick? And why do they get to drive to Soldotna and hunt off a paved road (Funny River)? I guess a start would be to write to FWS to gve them some feedback.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast